Harrison Mix Bus

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt
Harrison Mix Bus

Post by Lost to the Void »

On sale at the moment, half price.
Just bought it, going to give it a go for mixing duties, will report back results.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

arkos
Re: Harrison Mix Bus

Post by arkos »

Nice one not exactly Live's strong suit, cpu usage... Something like Mixbuss might be a really good idea.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

CPU not an issue for me, my machines are all monsters. I'm more interested in the sound of Harrison.
New Shit

Southpaw
quasi-public

Post by Southpaw »

I've seen it and read a small article but I don't get it. The idea is what? A summing thing? But then you're ITB with both this and your DAW app, so it's ITB summing anyway. Are there varying degress of in the box summing? . I simply don't know enough about this stuff to hold a discussion on it. Will be interested to hear you take on it.
Deep House & Dub Techno Samples https://www.abitdeeper.com/

buonacc
sad bastard

Post by buonacc »

Lost to the Void wrote:On sale at the moment, half price.
Just bought it, going to give it a go for mixing duties, will report back results.
which did you buy? the V4 for $39 or the 32C? what's the difference between the two?

any idea when the sale ends?

do you plan on using it only for the mixing stage, importing stems from another DAW?

will you be using it with a control surface, or just a mouse?

what's their authorization process?

reviews on GS seem a bit mixed, not sure what to think.

arkos

Post by arkos »

Lost to the Void wrote:CPU not an issue for me, my machines are all monsters. I'm more interested in the sound of Harrison.
Well you ain't using Softube Modular cause that thing anally violates cpus no matter what type of cpu :mrgreen:

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

No no I just got the standard mixbus.
I'm going to try importing stems from Ableton.
I'll use a control surface depending how it works.
Authorisation is just a copy paste of your personal key code.

Never go to gearslutz for advice, it stopped being a usefulness years ago.
New Shit

buonacc
sad bastard

Post by buonacc »

Lost to the Void wrote:No no I just got the standard mixbus.
I'm going to try importing stems from Ableton.
I'll use a control surface depending how it works.
Authorisation is just a copy paste of your personal key code.
cool, thanks, might grab it myself at that price. looks like it's set up to work nicely with the PreSonus 'FaderPort 8'?

https://www.presonus.com/products/FaderPort-8

please let us know how it goes.
lol, yeah right. lots of knowledge there from guys that know what they're doing... unlike this place, a bunch of perpetual newbs all riding your jock. :D ;)

(you give some great advice for sure, but still...)

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Nah gearslutz sucks ass, most of the good people left. It's just idiots talking uttershite most of the time. 80% blind leading the blind.
New Shit

terryfalafel
Component

Post by terryfalafel »

buonacc wrote:
Lost to the Void wrote:
lol, yeah right. lots of knowledge there from guys that know what they're doing...
Couldn't disagree more with this. The noise to signal ratio is higher on GS than almost every other audio forum, excepting the audiophile type places of course.

Regarding Harrison Mix Bus, seems like a bit of a faff unless the results are spectacular.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Well I will find out and let you know.
New Shit

buonacc
sad bastard

Post by buonacc »

any thoughts on this yet?

i'm curious as to why you'd choose to go this route, as i remember you stating a dislike for 'bx_console' (and "console" plug-ins in general) for how it sort of boxes you into one way of working (or something like that). this seems like it would be an extreme version of that scenario.

i'm a little disappointed to see the EQ section is cut down from their '32C', haven't even really looked into what other differences there might be between the two.

arkos

Post by arkos »

Look's like a total Pro Tools rip off to me but I've not used that in ages... Think I'll pick it up while the price is nothing. Export the tracks out of the Daw so I'll stop fucking tweaking things endlessly :D

buonacc
sad bastard

Post by buonacc »

arkos wrote:... Export the tracks out of the Daw so I'll stop fucking tweaking things endlessly :D
that's the thing though, it's just another DAW. not quite sure what to think, maybe there's some "magic" in the sound/summing/whatever, but i'm trying to see how it's much different from "exporting" your stems into an empty (Ableton, Cubase, etc) project with a "console" plug-in on each channel.

i'm tempted to buy it myself at this price (or at least demo it to see what it's about), but i'm not sure that i want to bother. i certainly don't think i "need" it. thanks to recent sales i've just bought both 'bx_console' and Waves 'E-Channel' (not quite sure why, haven't even installed it yet - but for $29 why not?), as well as expanding my Sonimus collection with 'Burnley73' and 'SonEQ Pro' (been using 'Satson' and 'Britson' for years). i didn't even "need" any of those, i just like to have options. hell, i haven't even written a whole tune in years, i just jam out for a bit here and there rarely even bothering to record anything at all. who knows when i'll ever get to the "mixing stage" of things. :mrgreen:

obviously though, i can see why LttV might have a use for it. i'd like to hear what he thinks about it.

arkos

Post by arkos »

buonacc wrote:
that's the thing though, it's just another DAW. not quite sure what to think, maybe there's some "magic" in the sound/summing/whatever, but i'm trying to see how it's much different from "exporting" your stems into an empty (Ableton, Cubase, etc) project with a "console" plug-in on each channel.
I've not upgrade Cubase since moving to Live and I probably never will... I really don't look at it as another Daw since those features in Mixbus seem quite basic and outdated. I just like the idea to get away from mixing in Live because it is not very cpu efficient and I can't stop fiddling with everything :D

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Yeah I'm not committing to anything.
I have worked on Harrison desks and I have heard good things about the overall sound of mixbus, so I will give it a try.

Apparently audio editing etc is really nice too, but I'm mainly interested in the final sound of the console emulation with the tape bus etc.
New Shit

buonacc
sad bastard

Post by buonacc »

arkos wrote:I've not upgrade Cubase since moving to Live and I probably never will...
same here. actually, other than using Cubase on the Atari when i first started, i've never used anything but Ableton (bought that back in 2006 and haven't felt like i need anything else). on the other hand...
... I just like the idea to get away from mixing in Live because it is not very cpu efficient and I can't stop fiddling with everything :D
this is something i've considered as well, if only to try and put myself in a different mindset some times. never got as far as looking closer at any other DAW options, but that recent Bitwig thread has me thinking otherwise now. i've been trying to avoid taking a closer look at it, but holy shit that seems like it might be perfect for me in some ways. not sure that i'd ever completely abandon Ableton (wouldn't be without my APC40mkII, though it may actually work with Bitwig?? Push 2 as well, though i'm ashamed to admit that i've had it for over a year now and haven't ever hooked it up. i know... wtf is wrong with me? i'll get to it eventually.) i barely get anything done as it is, i don't think Bitwig would be any help as far as that goes. sure looks like a lot of fun though, and addresses most any gripe that i do have with Ableton. being able to run both 32 and 64-bit VSTs would be awesome, i've been wanting to make the switch but there's a handful of 32-bit synths and fx that i'd have a hard time losing (something about 'J-Bridge' that doesn't seem right to me, but i haven't tried it). just got a new PC, so i think i will end up going for it sooner than later.

arkos

Post by arkos »

buonacc wrote: APC40mkII, though it may actually work with Bitwig?? Push 2 as well, though i'm ashamed to admit that i've had it for over a year now and haven't ever hooked it up. i barely get anything done as it is, i don't think Bitwig would be any help as far as that goes.
You can use the apc and the push with anything really only downside is you'll probably have to map everything yourself. Stick with what you know for now I'd say, try making a whole bunch of clips and trigger them from the push/apc and use the macros jam it in :)
buonacc wrote: i've been wanting to make the switch but there's a handful of 32-bit synths and fx that i'd have a hard time losing (something about 'J-Bridge' that doesn't seem right to me, but i haven't tried it)
Nothing to worry about with Jbridge it works like a charm, only downside is the "bridging" and then having to do it again if/when you add more plugins.

asm
crud

Post by asm »

Lost to the Void wrote:On sale at the moment, half price.
Have you managed to give it a proper try yet? Particularly interested when compared against saturation plugins like Satson and SDRR. Whats the compressor like too?

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

I've not used it yet.
However I just took delivery of a lovely new 7 string guitar, so I will be starting my new Doom metal ep this week and will be mixing the while thing down with Harrison. So once that's finished I'll have a good report.
New Shit