It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:19 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Re: A subsekt remix competition?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:35 pm 
hmmmmmm...

totalcult wrote:
^ I really like this updated version!!

I took a stab at Hades' tune. It doesn't feel very 'techno' TBH - sort of went off at a tangent!

Here 'tis FWIW:

Really digging this! The only thing that is up for improvement is, as Hades already mentioned, is the repeated vocal. Nice job!

Last edited by TimBuys on Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:57 pm 
hmmmmmm...

vo0doo wrote:

Worked on this one a little longer, and with lots of resampling since this old computer I'm on now is....well.... really.....slow....(built it somewhere around 2008 I think)
It's really been testing my patience, and I miss my regular fx and synths on this machine, but I think it did come out at least half decent.
Now starting with the Hades remix.

I think the mix gets a bit cluttered at some point which takes away from the groove. Mixing is by no means my strong suit but this is just my personal observation :). Otherwise, you did a great job at making something completely different out of the track. Cool stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:40 am 
Interact. Don't Spam.

Basically one pattern live jam...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:09 pm 
hmmmmmm...

splitcane wrote:
Basically one pattern live jam...

Track has a nice dark vibe to it. I really like that drum pattern, gives the track a nice forward drive. I think some of your bass noises definitely needs some EQ because they are a bit rough around the edges.

Here is my remix of Mattias track. The result of my remix is an attempt to try to incorporate some new techniques like the vocal sample running at different pitches and making the track more "spacey" than the original. I think like with most of my other tracks, what's missing is a strong backbone like a solid groove. Also the bassline could have been a bit fuller with a better pattern? Please grill my track so I can learn :-).

https://soundcloud.com/tim-buysman/matt ... ix/s-x6vkq

I'm not going to work like a crazy person to try to make the track because it's also a learning process for me to move on after "completing" a track. Instead I will move on to Hades track and see what I can come up with!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:39 am 
Alto Trek

TimBuys wrote:
Here is my remix of Mattias track. The result of my remix is an attempt to try to incorporate some new techniques like the vocal sample running at different pitches and making the track more "spacey" than the original. I think like with most of my other tracks, what's missing is a strong backbone like a solid groove. Also the bassline could have been a bit fuller with a better pattern? Please grill my track so I can learn :-).

first of all, I'm not listening to this in my studio. It's fucking crazy hot in there so for about 2 weeks now I've been waiting for better weather before I get back in there. It also doesn't help that I can't really leave the window open in there to cool things down because of the small chance I'll forget (I forget things all the time) and it might start raining and the damage will be huge since a lot of power strips are within range from the window.
So anyway, I'm listening on headphones. Not saying I don't know these, but they really are unrepresentative to the usual way I can listen to tracks.

I think the first thing I would say is that the mix sounds a bit muddy. Not too much, but a bit.
The hihats could be way better defined. Same for the other percussion.
The low end most definitely isa bit muddy.
I really like the sub, though I think most part of that comes from the original, right ? It's been a few weeks since I heard the original.

I'm not a big fan of the low vocals, I think that kind of thing has been a bit overdone to me. But you did do this very well !! So this is personal taste, not really a point of criticism.

Most of all, I find it interesting how you slowed this track down and still kept the groove going ! Very well done !
Also, your arrangement was really excellent !

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:40 am 
Alto Trek

I apologize if I can't give more detailed feedback, but these headphones suck (classic HD25) compared to what I can hear on my monitors upstairs. But yeah, the heat is killing me at the moment.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:35 pm 
hmmmmmm...

Hades wrote:
TimBuys wrote:

first of all, I'm not listening to this in my studio. It's fucking crazy hot in there so for about 2 weeks now I've been waiting for better weather before I get back in there. It also doesn't help that I can't really leave the window open in there to cool things down because of the small chance I'll forget (I forget things all the time) and it might start raining and the damage will be huge since a lot of power strips are within range from the window.
So anyway, I'm listening on headphones. Not saying I don't know these, but they really are unrepresentative to the usual way I can listen to tracks.

I think the first thing I would say is that the mix sounds a bit muddy. Not too much, but a bit.
The hihats could be way better defined. Same for the other percussion.
The low end most definitely isa bit muddy.
I really like the sub, though I think most part of that comes from the original, right ? It's been a few weeks since I heard the original.

I'm not a big fan of the low vocals, I think that kind of thing has been a bit overdone to me. But you did do this very well !! So this is personal taste, not really a point of criticism.

Most of all, I find it interesting how you slowed this track down and still kept the groove going ! Very well done !
Also, your arrangement was really excellent !

Yeah the sub is part of the original, I just made a different pattern out of it. Thanks, I agree with you on the vocal part. This was more just me trying it out based on a tip I got on the forum on how to achieve the sound. In a future track, I will use the technique with some more FX/processing to make it more interesting. Thanks for the criticism :)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:42 pm 
Interact. Don't Spam.

TimBuys wrote:
Track has a nice dark vibe to it. I really like that drum pattern, gives the track a nice forward drive. I think some of your bass noises definitely needs some EQ because they are a bit rough around the edges.

Thanks for your feedback. I should have had some self-criticism before posting this, but still I decided, that better to post something now and not just forget the recording on the disk.

Thanks Mattias and Hades for providing your tracks to remix and let us learn. It's impressive how differently people pick the most important parts from the original and when these are translated to express their own vision, the result might be completely different from the original.

TimBuys wrote:

I'm not going to work like a crazy person to try to make the track because it's also a learning process for me to move on after "completing" a track. Instead I will move on to Hades track and see what I can come up with!

I'm just jealous of your production skills. In my opinion the sounds were well separated from each other, as expected in this style of techno. However, I hated the hihat right from the beginning and in my opinion shakers, muffled kickdrums, etc. should be added to add some groove. The current basic beat (kick and hihat) just feel incomplete, when running on top of other-wisely nicely made soundscape and arrangement.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:53 pm 
Inactive

downloaded the pack, will try somethin with this!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:37 pm 
hmmmmmm...

splitcane wrote:
TimBuys wrote:

Thanks for your feedback. I should have had some self-criticism before posting this, but still I decided, that better to post something now and not just forget the recording on the disk.

Thanks Mattias and Hades for providing your tracks to remix and let us learn. It's impressive how differently people pick the most important parts from the original and when these are translated to express their own vision, the result might be completely different from the original.

TimBuys wrote:

I'm just jealous of your production skills. In my opinion the sounds were well separated from each other, as expected in this style of techno. However, I hated the hihat right from the beginning and in my opinion shakers, muffled kickdrums, etc. should be added to add some groove. The current basic beat (kick and hihat) just feel incomplete, when running on top of other-wisely nicely made soundscape and arrangement.

Thanks man, but you're giving me too much credit! Glad you decided to join the competition and I appreciate tge feedback! Maybe I will make some improvements to the track later on, but for now I got a bit tired of working on it. Just downloaded the stems of Hades track...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9