A subsekt remix competition?

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
Stace
Classical Approach
Re: A subsekt remix competition?

Post by Stace »

1. playing games with my simple mind ? Not intentionally
2. totally trying to bring my mental (in)stability out of balance ? Absolutely not
3. begging for an extra pair of high heels ? No fucking way! I hate heels
4. trying to get my attention ? Well, maybe a little
5. trying to make me feel guilty ? Yes, a little
6. trying to accuse me of not liking women who like high heels ? You should like a woman for more than just her shoes. A woman is for life, not just Christmas
7. trying to make me believe I know nothing about women ? That says more about yo than it says about me...
8. trying to fool me into thinking that you, obviously as the only specimen of the female species on this planet,
never have a single moment of doubt in your entire life ? I doubt things every day
9. trying to find out if I can play the piano ? You play the piano??!
10. trying to find out how big my music collection is ? Yes, I would like to know that
Hades wrote:
StacieAnne wrote:I know right, most of the time I only say it for effect ;)
now you got me totally confused.

are you :

1. playing games with my simple mind ?
2. totally trying to bring my mental (in)stability out of balance ?
3. begging for an extra pair of high heels ?
4. trying to get my attention ?
5. trying to make me feel guilty ?
6. trying to accuse me of not liking women who like high heels ?
7. trying to make me believe I know nothing about women ?
8. trying to fool me into thinking that you, obviously as the only specimen of the female species on this planet,
never have a single moment of doubt in your entire life ?
9. trying to find out if I can play the piano ?
10. trying to find out how big my music collection is ?

all this is extremely confusing...
I suspect it's all of the above. 8-)

The_G
Artificial Hazard

Post by The_G »

Well this is fun as hell.

The_G
Artificial Hazard

Post by The_G »

Holy hell, some of you FINISHED already? I'll be working on mine for the full 17 days.

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

The_G wrote:Holy hell, some of you FINISHED already? I'll be working on mine for the full 17 days.
I just got done doing a second one from scratch in like two-three hours since I lost the first one :lol:

PatrickHughes
Exampleless

Post by PatrickHughes »

The_G wrote:Holy hell, some of you FINISHED already? I'll be working on mine for the full 17 days.
I try to knock out at least 80-90% of a track in the first sitting and usually takes about 6-8 hours. It just feels better to stick with it while your on a roll. This one came together pretty easily so wasn't bad finishing up within a day. If I break a track over too many days I end up never being satisfied with it and am less likely to finish it.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

dubdub wrote:Are the Hades parts up already? Don't see them anywhere in this thread.
nope, a few hours ago I tried out the google drive stuff,
and it's driving me totally crazy...
(S.O.S. Mattias !!!)

it's probably just a mac thing,
but when I try to share the parts in my google drive,
it suggests only
*mail (which is the stupid mac mail shit, no fucking way)
*airdrop (which only works by inviting other mac users)
*messages (which asks you to assign some kind of messaging tool, which of course is bollocks)
*share (which only gives me tons of options, but doesn't really get me anywhere specifically)

the furthest I got was when I saw a "link" to share, and every time I tried copying the link,
and wanted to paste it in here, I always ended up with pasting the words "Patroclus stems" instead of the link that I just copied :roll:

I'm probably just stupid,
correction : I am stupid !
after all I've been a mac slave for almost 10 years for a reason,
but this google drive shit is driving me crazy.

I have very little patience for computer stuff,
and the little patience I have is what I was forced to learn because my DAW is a SW program...
(that and the shit I had to deal with while working as a dispatcher for so many years)

anyway,
I have all the stems from my final mix ready,
so anyone who wants them...
*can contact me via PM with their email and I can send them via wetransfer
*can suggest another method of transferring the files, perhaps dropbox, like someone suggested

the files are there and ready to go, but that google drive shit is too much for my ample brain.
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

When uploading, you can generate a link with Wetransfer (instead of sending via Email) that you can post here.

The_G
Artificial Hazard

Post by The_G »

dubdub wrote:
I just got done doing a second one from scratch in like two-three hours since I lost the first one :lol:
You guys are insane lol

Or maybe I'm just a slowpoke :P

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

Alright, here's my remix. It uses some parts from my first (lost) version. The first one was better since I made it in a big rush and it's hard to recapture that feeling but oh well. At least this one is a little bit more true to the original since I did less pitching on the parts.

What do you think Mattias? It's pretty far away from the mood of the original, I took a rather dark track and went a bit... euphoric :lol:

What I learned doing my first remix:
1) Do some damn save-as-ing so you don't accidently delete half of your track and then hit save :oops: I also spent like two hours "refining" the mix and then realized later that first mixdown is way better.
2) I usually do almost everything in MIDI. Working with audio is easier than I thought.
3) Having some nice drums (especially that really nice kick!), bass and noises that are already somewhat processed to start off with makes everything go ten times faster. I usually process Roland drums from scratch which often takes forever to get right. Here I just had to add 2-3fx, EQ and maybe change up the sample rhythm/groove a bit.I should probably build my own samplebank with drum sounds that are already a bit processed. Or just use MFS samples on every track :lol:
4) I was surprised at how many drum tracks there are in the track. When you listen to it, it doesn't sound like that much but all these little bits give movement and variation to the groove, even if you don't actively notice them.

TimBuys
happy bastard

Post by TimBuys »

dubdub, honestly I was expecting a bit more since you were boasting about completing the remix so fast. I like that little break around the 2 minute mark, but after that the tracks get really messy and repetitive.

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

Like I said, I lost the first version, which was better, I think. And it would have been worse if I spent more time on it :) I kept working on it a bit but the later versions are all worse.

TimBuys
happy bastard

Post by TimBuys »

Yeah, I didn't mean that in a bad way. I have listened to some of your tracks before and think that if you would put more effort into it, you could come up with something better :)

Mattias
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mattias »

dubdub wrote: 4) I was surprised at how many drum tracks there are in the track. When you listen to it, it doesn't sound like that much but all these little bits give movement and variation to the groove, even if you don't actively notice them.
This track got 12 regular channels for drums + the 808 channels and all goes down to 4 different drum busses. It is as you say, it's not really apparent or observable but once you break it down it gets to you how it's constructed to fill out the track and create change and movement.
Music Page: http://www.facebook.com/Mattias.Fridell.Music
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/fridell
Sample packs: http://mfsamples.bandcamp.com

Contention / 005

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

ok, been busy guys,
will try to get the files uploaded this afternoon.
sorry for the delay.

HowieRis
quasi-public

Post by HowieRis »

Thanks Mattias I love that track, I grabbed Tangled In Deception some time ago. I'll no doubt make a pig's arse of your files but I'll give this a shot!

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

guys, can you try this and let me know if it works ?

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7g5vc4hxt6d6 ... U2YSa?dl=0

It's in my dropbox folder, never used it before, but that should do the trick.

You basically only need the sub folders "checked 1" and "checked 2",
the group tracks should already be in those as well, but then individually.
and contents of the "rest" folder or any stems that say (rest) in the name,
is stuff I eventually didn't use in the track.
there's for example a duduk part (stem) which is all fine, but it's just an improvisation I did, so it doesn't even fit the arrangement of the track,
but hey, go and use it if you like.

let me know if it works,
and have fun.

The_G
Artificial Hazard

Post by The_G »

Is there a deadline?

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

Yeah, it works, you have to download the stems individually, which is annoying, but it works.

Mattias
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mattias »

HowieRis wrote:Thanks Mattias I love that track, I grabbed Tangled In Deception some time ago. I'll no doubt make a pig's arse of your files but I'll give this a shot!
You're welcome. The most important thing is that you have a good time with it and hopefully it'll net you some experience as well yeah?
Music Page: http://www.facebook.com/Mattias.Fridell.Music
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/fridell
Sample packs: http://mfsamples.bandcamp.com

Contention / 005

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

dubdub wrote:Yeah, it works, you have to download the stems individually, which is annoying, but it works.
hey, what can I say, it works,
and for once I'm not annoying you with my words :mrgreen:

sorry for the extra hassle guys,
I did suggest wetransfer, like I used with the Live pack a while back.