A subsekt remix competition?

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
Hades
Shit Eater
Re: A subsekt remix competition?

Post by Hades »

StacieAnne wrote:You should like a woman for more than just her shoes. A woman is for life, not just Christmas
well, hell, I was always told love is pretty much like sailing,
when you discover you're floating about on a piece of crap, and there's a cruise ship coming by,
you must be stupid to not step aboard !

also, it's a fact that women are like laptops.
If there is a new model out, that is thinner, and can do more tricks,
you're a fool not to upgrade !
:mrgreen: ;)

StacieAnne wrote: 9. trying to find out if I can play the piano ? You play the piano??!
I'm gonna do a piano concerto in Spain in september, better have that symphonic orchestra ready ffs !

On a sidenote, just read this morning that when Laurent Garnier was selected for one of the biggest French music rewards, it was a time when people were still very prejudiced about techno. He decided to play Acid Eiffel, and they had the possibility to use a symphonic orchestra. Most of the musicians shrugged when they got their sheet music, and said "is this all we have to play", and yet, they all got the timing wrong, because they didn't understand they had to start on the downbeat. :lol: :lol:
Ow the classical music world, fucking high and mighty cunts all right...
StacieAnne wrote: 10. trying to find out how big my music collection is ? Yes, I would like to know that
I'll only show you in the dark though.
Don't want others or Jeff Mills to get jealous or something...
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

PatrickHughes wrote:Well here's my shot at it. Didn't try to reinvent the wheel but thought this came out with a bit of a new take on the original.

I quite like this mix man,
it's a bit too much big room techno-ish for my taste, and it could do with a better mix,
but nonetheless, really nice work !

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

StacieAnne wrote: 3. begging for an extra pair of high heels ? No fucking way! I hate heels
that makes two of us Stace !
I'm a Globe fanboy till death. (at least as long as they still continue to make the big old skate shoes, and not just the thinner models that are more in fashion nowadays)
I literally have like 7 or 8 pairs of Globes here, and went through maybe 30 other pairs over the years.

I do everything with them, even did the Camino 4x on Globes.
When they did a rerun of their 2 best sold models because they celebrated their 30th anniversary,
I bought 4 pairs at once.
The Chet Thomas IV was one of these, and I must have bought that pair 20 times in the last 15 years...

A friend of mine always says high heels surely must have been invented by some man,
because it makes women's tits stand up/forward more, and makes their ass look thinner,
but yeah, it's a bitch to wear them... :D

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

The_G wrote:Holy hell, some of you FINISHED already? I'll be working on mine for the full 17 days.
so you should !

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

dubdub wrote:Alright, here's my remix. It uses some parts from my first (lost) version. The first one was better since I made it in a big rush and it's hard to recapture that feeling but oh well. At least this one is a little bit more true to the original since I did less pitching on the parts.

What do you think Mattias? It's pretty far away from the mood of the original, I took a rather dark track and went a bit... euphoric :lol:

What I learned doing my first remix:
1) Do some damn save-as-ing so you don't accidently delete half of your track and then hit save :oops: I also spent like two hours "refining" the mix and then realized later that first mixdown is way better.
2) I usually do almost everything in MIDI. Working with audio is easier than I thought.
3) Having some nice drums (especially that really nice kick!), bass and noises that are already somewhat processed to start off with makes everything go ten times faster. I usually process Roland drums from scratch which often takes forever to get right. Here I just had to add 2-3fx, EQ and maybe change up the sample rhythm/groove a bit.I should probably build my own samplebank with drum sounds that are already a bit processed. Or just use MFS samples on every track :lol:
4) I was surprised at how many drum tracks there are in the track. When you listen to it, it doesn't sound like that much but all these little bits give movement and variation to the groove, even if you don't actively notice them.
I really preferred this remix to the one you posted earlier.
maybe it's a little more cliché, but the other one really had too much of a tech-house flavor to it. Eve if it was more to the techno side of the spectrum than to the house spectrum,
and it swinged like a tit.

Please not though : I have yet to listen to the original mix from Mattias :)

The_G
Artificial Hazard

Post by The_G »

Hades, with your song I'm just going to let it play as is but with the piano melody from Children layered over it.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

The_G wrote:Hades, with your song I'm just going to let it play as is but with the piano melody from Children layered over it.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ow you cunt, don't make me get over there,
wherever the fuck "there" is !! :D

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

like, I could be wrong, but I seem to remember you were living in hotel rooms,
off kebabs, pizza, room service,
and under-aged hookers who wear all the high heels Stace threw away...

unless that has changed recently (or my memory fails me) ;)

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

also,
after having downloaded Mattias track and loading it up in Live,
I'd like to mention that my files are the stems taken from the arrangement,
so it's all very long clips (well, the length of my final mix track).
It's not, as is the case with Mattias, just the short clips you would find in Live's Clip view.

Apologies if that gives you extra work, but it does give you more material to work with,
and, in hindsight, I don't think it's such a bad method, since my more melodic approach tends to deliver more longer clips anyway...

The_G
Artificial Hazard

Post by The_G »

Hades wrote:like, I could be wrong, but I seem to remember you were living in hotel rooms,
off kebabs, pizza, room service,
and under-aged hookers who wear all the high heels Stace threw away...

unless that has changed recently (or my memory fails me) ;)
:lol:

(I'm in Singapore.)

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

I do a quick google image search on singapore "something"

and this is one of the pics that I find... (mind you, I took the pic that is the least offending)

I don't know man...

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

they look so old, you know ?
:lol: :lol:

Even Stace looks younger on a bad day !

8-)

Mattias
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mattias »

dubdub wrote: What do you think Mattias? It's pretty far away from the mood of the original, I took a rather dark track and went a bit... euphoric :lol:

Well for thinking much is very same and do not differentiate out there this remix is a poor attempt at correcting that don't you think?
Music Page: http://www.facebook.com/Mattias.Fridell.Music
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/fridell
Sample packs: http://mfsamples.bandcamp.com

Contention / 005

Markus Wolf
reverse genius

Post by Markus Wolf »

Mattias wrote:
dubdub wrote: What do you think Mattias? It's pretty far away from the mood of the original, I took a rather dark track and went a bit... euphoric :lol:

Well for thinking much is very same and do not differentiate out there this remix is a poor attempt at correcting that don't you think?
Hi Mattias,

Im trying to follow the thread what did you mean by this comment? Just trying to figure that out. Did you mean his remix sounds similar to what you did or not?

thx

Mattias
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mattias »

Markus Wolf wrote:
Mattias wrote:

Hi Mattias,

Im trying to follow the thread what did you mean by this comment? Just trying to figure that out. Did you mean his remix sounds similar to what you did or not?

thx
Check http://subsekt.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8509 Basically dubdub was saying he thinks a lot fo music out there are too samey.
Music Page: http://www.facebook.com/Mattias.Fridell.Music
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/fridell
Sample packs: http://mfsamples.bandcamp.com

Contention / 005

Markus Wolf
reverse genius

Post by Markus Wolf »

[/quote]

Well for thinking much is very same and do not differentiate out there this remix is a poor attempt at correcting that don't you think?[/quote]

Hi Mattias,

thx[/quote]

Check http://subsekt.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8509 Basically dubdub was saying he thinks a lot fo music out there are too samey.[/quote]

I also think allot of music is similar, similar types of sound in similar structures. And like I said in another post it is what it is....If people want to be avant garde and different they are going to have to try harder at coming out with something new and fresh but thats going to take massive amount of experimentation and trying things out in a different way. Allot of people wont understand or get it tho and if youre ok with that than fine. Interesting that the conversation has shifted a bit. Allot of the Techno/House that I listen to is very samey samey but I still enjoy listening to it.....And If I hear something different that is a new take on an old theme I try to approach it from an honest stand point of quality and not what my musical preference is.

TimBuys
happy bastard

Post by TimBuys »

vo0doo wrote:That was a fun distraction, thanks to Mattias for making this happen :)

Did this while updating (a lot) of drivers in the hopes of fixing a bunch of really nasty errors I keep getting, so I guess that could explain why it sounds a bit jumpy :P Needs a slower buildup and spacing of elements I guess, I'll see if I can fix it up a bit over the weekend.
I think you did a good job of taking the track and implementing your own groove, something I often have a hard time with. Would like to hear a bit more variance at later parts of the track. All in all good effort!
Last edited by TimBuys on Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TimBuys
happy bastard

Post by TimBuys »

The_G wrote:Is there a deadline?
No.

TimBuys
happy bastard

Post by TimBuys »

PatrickHughes wrote:
The_G wrote:Holy hell, some of you FINISHED already? I'll be working on mine for the full 17 days.
I try to knock out at least 80-90% of a track in the first sitting and usually takes about 6-8 hours. It just feels better to stick with it while your on a roll. This one came together pretty easily so wasn't bad finishing up within a day. If I break a track over too many days I end up never being satisfied with it and am less likely to finish it.
I personally have no issue with a big room sound so I quite like what you done with the track. I think that synth sound you bring in at around 2:28 sounds a bit off for me though, mabye it would be better to bring it an octave down? Would like to hear someone else's opinion on this because mabye it's just me.

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

Mattias wrote:

I'm obviously not reinventing the wheel (I'm not trying to). I just like music with colour and you're not going to find a lot of modern techno releases with that kind of bright chord progression on the labels we were talking about :)

Regardless, I've only been producing for two years now, still trying to find my own voice as a producer. I wouldn't claim that I'm at the point where I can make something that sounds really unique.

Btw Hades, I started the remix. I have something going now but i'm not so sure how to finish it. Going to take like a week probably, while just for you :) Not sure what 'tech house' remix you are referencing, I only uploaded the one in the soundcloud above!