A subsekt remix competition?

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
TimBuys
happy bastard
A subsekt remix competition?

Post by TimBuys »

Sup guys. Been a bit inactive lately as I have been quite busy and unfortunetely also been having a lack of inspiration. This lack of inspiration gave me an idea though: How about we have a Subsekt remix competition. Why a remix competition? I remember when I was graduating and was busy as fuck, but still somehow found the time to join this remix competition hosted by Different is Different Records. It was for a track named "Twitched" produced by Ken Ishii who I am defenitely a fan of. I especialy dig his track "Extra" which has some fantastic visuals aswell (it's directed by Koji Morimoto the animation director of Akira).

What I noticed during the time I was working on the contest was that my productivity/creativity skyrocketet, because:

- I was working with a limited amount of samples which forced me to search for new ways to be creative
- I knew my track would be up there for all other competitors to hear
- The competition element
- Having a deadline

In hindsight the track stems weren't that exciting if you listen to some of Ken Ishii's other tracks, but I still had a lot of fun with the contest. In the end, I didn't make it to the top 10 submisssions (I believe in total 150 people made a submission) but all in all I learned a lot in a very short amount of time. To sum this up: a bit of a friendly competition is a great way to have some fun and get the creative juices flowing.

People that first come to mind that I would like to remix (obviously we can also have a vote on the artist and the track we would like to remix!):

-Hades
-Mattias
-Void
-Jordanneke

The contest
-The rules: to be decided.
-The deadline: to be decided
-The winner will get a bag filled with Subsekt gold

Let me know if anyone would be down for this.

The_G
Artificial Hazard
Re: A subsekt remix competition?

Post by The_G »

I'd be down to remix someone. Never done a remix and always wanted to try my hand st it.

Prophän
Back Bling

Post by Prophän »

Same as the_g

Kromasome
arsehole

Post by Kromasome »

Yep, I'm keen

dippy egg
Unartful

Post by dippy egg »

I'd love to have the opportunity to try and remix any/all of these guys tunes. Being a relative noob I'm not sure I could make anything that I'd be confident to share but I'd be grateful for the opportunity

PatrickHughes
Exampleless

Post by PatrickHughes »

I'm totally in for a remix competition

Opnå
non reader

Post by Opnå »

I'd be game assuming we could find a donor. Also not even bothered about it being a competition. Even be just a regular workshop type thing where we put up one track ever few months and everyone has a set time to submit versons for feedback.

P0607r0n
Metric Martyr

Post by P0607r0n »

I'm totally up for that. I remember when my friend came up to me with some DnB stems from some big name producer's remix contest, was fun working with that, and my friend was amazed I instantly made those stems to play techno. :D
Workshop approach would suit me more than a competition form (and we wouldn't need to find people who would judge our output).

Root
BANNED

Post by Root »

I'm in!
:geek:

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Opnå wrote:I'd be game assuming we could find a donor. Also not even bothered about it being a competition. Even be just a regular workshop type thing where we put up one track ever few months and everyone has a set time to submit versons for feedback.
Did this already, it didn`t really go anywhere
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Opnå
non reader

Post by Opnå »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Opnå wrote:I'd be game assuming we could find a donor. Also not even bothered about it being a competition. Even be just a regular workshop type thing where we put up one track ever few months and everyone has a set time to submit versons for feedback.
Did this already, it didn`t really go anywhere
So you're saying we need the competitive element? haha

TimBuys
happy bastard

Post by TimBuys »

It's human nature ;)

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

TimBuys wrote:
People that first come to mind that I would like to remix (obviously we can also have a vote on the artist and the track we would like to remix!):

-Hades
-Mattias
-Void
-Jordanneke
I feel flattered...
and I guess I'm ok with that.
I just have to get used to the idea for a little bit.
It's not like I consider my music to be that exquisite that I don't want to share the parts,
it's just that I'm a bit paranoid about sharing the stems.
("Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you" was a line K. Cobain used to sing during my teens).

I already had it happen to me before... some day I was browsing through the weekly HW newsletter, and I went like
"fuck, that rings a bell... wait a second, that's a part from an old track of mine"
I was at the time (and still am today) an unreleased techno nobody, I could have tried to make a fuss about it back then,
but there was reasonable doubt, and he was a respected guy, so why bother...

if it's one of my older tracks or an unfinished project : sure, fuck yeah, I don't mind at all,
hell, I didn't even mind putting together a live pack for subsekt which had like 100 clips from my own library.
but yeah, ask for one of my (very few) true babies, and I don't know...
On the other hand though : I have frequently asked others here for a collab, and they have always been very generous about sharing their projects with me.
I guess it just feels kind of different : sharing with one single person or sharing with the whole www. :)
TimBuys wrote: -The winner will get a bag filled with Subsekt gold

Let me know if anyone would be down for this.
I'm down for providing some subsekt gold for that bag,
you do know there's a thing called white gold ?* :mrgreen:

*true fact, my wedding ring is made out of white gold, looks pretty much like silver tbh, which is exactly why I chose it at the time because I hate normal gold
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

last track I finished "Humanity's (In Flames)" started out as a remix from the "In Flames" track from Evert,
so yeah...

I love working on other people's tracks,
one always learns so much from doing this, even if the project never gets finished...

tsaro
Lifer

Post by tsaro »

It's a good idea, instead of just noodling about aimlessly it really helps to set a target/goal and try to work towards it. I'd say make that one sample competition a regular thing, had a lot of fun with the cowbell challenge a while back.
how far do you want to go

Leskey
non reader

Post by Leskey »

I'd also be down!

totalcult
BAD

Post by totalcult »

If no-one on here feels they want to share a track as remix fodder (which would be totally understandable) we could always pick a publicly-open remix contest from Splice or somewhere like that - all download the parts, do our thing and share the results here. Just a thought, in case we need a 'plan B'.

EDIT: Also, down am I. :yoda:

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

totalcult wrote:If no-one on here feels they want to share a track as remix fodder (which would be totally understandable) we could always pick a publicly-open remix contest from Splice or somewhere like that - all download the parts, do our thing and share the results here. Just a thought, in case we need a 'plan B'.

ow no, I'm glad to join (and I'm quite sure Jordan wouldn't mind either),
I'm just not sure if I would do it with all my tracks.
Let's say I wouldn't mind with 80 to 85% of my tracks.

TimBuys
happy bastard

Post by TimBuys »

Hades wrote:
totalcult wrote:If no-one on here feels they want to share a track as remix fodder (which would be totally understandable) we could always pick a publicly-open remix contest from Splice or somewhere like that - all download the parts, do our thing and share the results here. Just a thought, in case we need a 'plan B'.

ow no, I'm glad to join (and I'm quite sure Jordan wouldn't mind either),
I'm just not sure if I would do it with all my tracks.
Let's say I wouldn't mind with 80 to 85% of my tracks.

+1 I would be less interested in making a remix of it wasn't from one of the forum members. Mabye it's an idea if you put up a list of tracks that you wouldn't mind making public and we can vote? Not sure if Void/Mattia/Jordanneke are interested in putting up one of their tracks as well?

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

I'm not quite sure Mattias and Jordanneke already know this topic exists.
I could have just as well missed it too.