DJ mixer advice

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
Planar
subsekt
subsekt
DJ mixer advice

Post by Planar »

This might be a longshot...

I've been rocking the same shitty DJM mixer for about 15 years now and its served me pretty damn well. But sadly the upfaders are getting a bit worse for wear and replacing them will cost a fair bit really. So, I figure its probably time to get something new.

So does anyone have any advice or recommendations at around the £1k mark as I'm a bit out of the loop? I'm ideally wanting something with an integrated soundcard, Serato DVS compatibility (built in or add-on is fine) and good options for someone who prefers a long blend over quick mixes. I don't care if it's analog or digital as long as it sounds good.

I'm surprised at the lack of options at that kind of price and at the moment I'm looking at the Allen & Heath Xone DB2. Is there a better mixer I'm missing?

PatrickHughes
Exampleless
Re: DJ mixer advice

Post by PatrickHughes »

You could just update to a new DJM model, now that the nexus2 is out you can grab a djm900nxs for around your price target off ebay or any used reseller in great shape.

Alternatively allen and heath is just coming out with their xone px5 mixer which checks all your requirements and looks pretty sweet and you could buy it new at a little over your price target. Here's a review for it from RA: https://www.residentadvisor.net/reviews/19958

over9000
Nor Crystal Tears

Post by over9000 »

funny i thought about getting a new dj mixer yesterday :D
id go with an allen&heath, i played on one once, and it was much better then my djm 350. The effects where better, the filter was actually usable and the eq seemed more accurate. and it just sounded better somehow.
i thought about the xone 43, since i dont need any computer integration..
theres the 43c that has serato compatibility for 700 EUR. and it has effects and filter and faders and eq knobs and 4 channels, what else do you need really?

Mattias
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mattias »

Planar wrote:Allen & Heath Xone DB2
Try this one, you can't go wrong with it in my opinion. The EQ section sits very well to your hands and it reminds a bit about the DJM series since you can use them as isolators. Compared to the Xone 92 it doesn't feel like Xone 92 and lacks several critical functions for me personally. It's clearly a great mixer though.
It's most likely a smoother step that makes more sense from your previous DJM to jump to the DB2 rather then a Xone 92.
Music Page: http://www.facebook.com/Mattias.Fridell.Music
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/fridell
Sample packs: http://mfsamples.bandcamp.com

Contention / 005

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

Mattias wrote:
Planar wrote:Allen & Heath Xone DB2
Try this one, you can't go wrong with it in my opinion. The EQ section sits very well to your hands and it reminds a bit about the DJM series since you can use them as isolators. Compared to the Xone 92 it doesn't feel like Xone 92 and lacks several critical functions for me personally. It's clearly a great mixer though.
It's most likely a smoother step that makes more sense from your previous DJM to jump to the DB2 rather then a Xone 92.

Yeah, it looks like this is what I'm going to go with, the Xone 92 doesn't have some of the features I'd like, especially the soundcard which is the deal breaker. The DB2 looks like it's got a lot of the DB4 functionality with some menu driving to get to some of the features instead of dedicated buttons (which does't justify the price difference for me). Being able to change the EQ's from full isolation to normal as well as a filter sounds perfect for me. The reviews seem to rate the sound highly and the effects might even be ecent enough to route my Machinedrum through (and finally use the damn thing).

Thanks for the input, all.

Joseph John
fancy woman

Post by Joseph John »

I dont know about the DB2 but i used a 92 for years and after about 5 year of heavy usage, i stated to feel a bit limited with it, after coming out of a long love affair with a DJM 600 i missed the onboard effects, the filters were great though. I have recently got a new mixer, i got the DJM 900 NEXUS's naughty little brother the DJ450 (basically the 900 cut in half)

I only needed 2 channels so this was an obvious option for me, and the effects are absolutely stunning and so too are the filters and is brill for mixing techno, so i would say a Pioneer, you get loads more effects on the 900 as opposed to the 450, if ya like me, Allen and Heath are boss, but i kind of got bored of the mixer i am finding new tricks all the time on the pioneer.

Hope this help man!!!

give us a follow...if you like what you hear give me a shout you can just have em......

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

The modern Pioneer lines aren't stacking up too well to the DB2 for price or features, never mind the DB4. I'm not a heavy FX user but I've watched as many comparisons as I can and the Pioneers don't sound as good, they don't seem to allow post fader and the multiple fx units on the A&H can be chained together. Any fx I want would be to help a blend rather than as "special fx". The prices are ludicrous as well, which is the final nail in the Pioneer coffin (not interested in 2nd hand).

I'm booked into a demo session in a local shop on Friday, so I'll try a few out and make my decision then. They've already told me I've probably picked the right choice.

CubiK Mass
Alf Garnett

Post by CubiK Mass »

Planar wrote:The modern Pioneer lines aren't stacking up too well to the DB2 for price or features, never mind the DB4. I'm not a heavy FX user but I've watched as many comparisons as I can and the Pioneers don't sound as good, they don't seem to allow post fader and the multiple fx units on the A&H can be chained together. Any fx I want would be to help a blend rather than as "special fx". The prices are ludicrous as well, which is the final nail in the Pioneer coffin (not interested in 2nd hand).

I'm booked into a demo session in a local shop on Friday, so I'll try a few out and make my decision then. They've already told me I've probably picked the right choice.
Bollocks to that lad, overpriced shite!

This is what you want...you can be a Carl Cox 3 deck wizard with this beast.

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

:lol: thats proper. I started with one of these bad boys.

It cost me my first monthly wage of my first part time job when I was 16. It came with the equally as bad Soundlab belt-driven turntables. Ironically, those turntables being so bad are why I ride the pitch when I'm mixing, which something I've valued ever since.

intrusav
Rolf Harris

Post by intrusav »

Haha, seeing that pic brought it all back for a minute! ..

CubiK Mass
Alf Garnett

Post by CubiK Mass »

Planar wrote::lol: thats proper. I started with one of these bad boys.

It cost me my first monthly wage of my first part time job when I was 16. It came with the equally as bad Soundlab belt-driven turntables. Ironically, those turntables being so bad are why I ride the pitch when I'm mixing, which something I've valued ever since.
Legendary mixer is that, they must of gone up in value surely being a classic vintage mixer, I remember a mate buying one of those from Tandy.

winston
unsure

Post by winston »

Planar wrote::lol: thats proper. I started with one of these bad boys.

i still have my version of that mixer in my loft, although the belt-drives are long gone.
i agree with you that having learnt to mix or beat-match on those tables is something that was pretty useful.

sinesnsnares
Pig

Post by sinesnsnares »

So I'm in the market for buying a new mixer and I didn't want to start a new thread, if i should have, sorry mods.

When I took the jump to using vinyl, I bought a shitty Numark 2 channel mixer ( Not far from the one a few posts above). I'm getting to the point where I wanna start recording more mixes, but the sound quality is, unsurprisingly, pretty shit. I'm Looking for an upgrade. The obvious "next step" would be something like a Xone:23 or a DJM250 (Leaning more towards the A & H). Thing is, I'm not sure if I should go for the "next step" or if I should save up a bit more money and invest in something more high end, maybe even a 4 channel mixer, since i also own cdjs. I see the thread has already big upped the db2/92, but those are, barring a good sale, pretty out of my price range (Both run about $1750 Canadian). Any opinions on the xone:23 or 43? I've tried the search functions, but it's difficult to search just by numbers. Both seem to get pretty good reviews. The 43 would cost me about about twice as much as a 23, but it's still within my price range. Is the 43 worth it, or am I just gonna end up bored from now, wishing I cheaped out to save that extra cash for a 92?

TLDR: Thoughts on a xone 23 or 43?

over9000
Nor Crystal Tears

Post by over9000 »

id take the 43. i thought about getting one too, but cant afford it right now. sound quality is told to be better on a&h although i dont have any experience to prove it. if you just want a better mixer with record function, go for a djm 350 or 450.
depends on how you mix also. i dont use many effects, so iam pretty happy with the 350. although it would be nice to have more options and then get better at using them. Although i think djing is mainly about selection and timing then about effects. In techno and psy at least.

sinesnsnares
Pig

Post by sinesnsnares »

over9000 wrote:id take the 43. i thought about getting one too, but cant afford it right now. sound quality is told to be better on a&h although i dont have any experience to prove it. if you just want a better mixer with record function, go for a djm 350 or 450.
depends on how you mix also. i dont use many effects, so iam pretty happy with the 350. although it would be nice to have more options and then get better at using them. Although i think djing is mainly about selection and timing then about effects. In techno and psy at least.

I agree, I've never used effects at all tbh, even when i was using controllers. Barely use the eq's now, unless I need to fix a problem. I also have a decent offer for a xone 62, but i haven't heard much about it. Seems to be closer to a 92 than the others just eyeballing it.

ZenoSupreme
arsehole

Post by ZenoSupreme »

over9000 wrote:theres the 43c that has serato compatibility for 700 EUR. and it has effects and filter and faders and eq knobs and 4 channels, what else do you need really?
It's indeed a very decent mixer, only downside is the crossfader. (practically) no use for it while mixing techno, but if you decide to do some scratching it's gonna suck big time...

how about a controller? at 1k you can buy really nice ones, hook up with serato and you can also buy one that can be hooked up with other hardware/effects, if you bump up the price a little you can also get one that can be use as a standalone 2...

sinesnsnares
Pig

Post by sinesnsnares »

I've used traktor before, but for the past year and a half I've been on vinyl/cdjs. If I went back to controllers, I'd go with two x1s + a four channel mixer though, just for the looping/layering. So maybe the 43/43c is the one to go for.

over9000
Nor Crystal Tears

Post by over9000 »

yeah going back to traktor/serato, where you have the computer running and can see the waveform of the track would be a step back for me. its just not nearly as exiting and flowy as with cdjs (and vinyl i guess). Go for the 43!
and if you do, id be happy about some report on the feel of it :)

ZenoSupreme
arsehole

Post by ZenoSupreme »

a CDJ can also display the waveform...

annyway... if u might decide to check Gemini SDJ-4000 DJ controller, it's really neath, only downside is that it doesn't support 4 internal decks.

If you still prefer 43/43C (which is also absolutely a fine choice), you should check out if the 43C is also a stand alone, don't know for sure it is...

over9000
Nor Crystal Tears

Post by over9000 »

MINE CANT AND I LIKE TAHT
:D