Building a Music PC in 2017 - Advice / Spec / Prices

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
Críoch
subsekt
subsekt
Re: Building a Music PC in 2017 - Advice / Spec / Prices

Post by Críoch »

Root wrote:I recently updated my pc, mounted a new motherboard + cpu. You really don't need to go for an intel cpu if you are not a gaming crack that needs a hundredth of a second precise frame calculation. I got the amd 8350 (130€) which is in the second generation now very stable and fast. only thing it needs a bit more power, but that's worth it. Compared to the intel cpus it shure is a bit slower, but yeah, during the last 4-5 years there were no real progresses in this, so you don't need the newest and most expensive. I run with this and 8gb ram ableton live and can load huge amounts of plugins, play 5 Hardware synths at the same time, without any struggle. SDD is a must!
That sounds like a brilliant machine. Would absolutely do me perfect!

I remember using computers with AMD chips in them years ago & they were dreadfully underpowered machines. The particular machines in question were long past their glory days by the time we got hold of them in work, but I've carried a negative opinion of them since haha - I know :? :lol:

They're obviously damn good chips nowadays - I know what you are saying.. but I think I'll give it the max of everything I can afford. I dont mind saving up. I've got eyes bigger than my wallet at the moment.. but it'll be worth it. I'd like to upgrade to future versions of Ableton & all of that, so it would be nice to not have to touch it for a long time.
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB

PatrickHughes
Exampleless

Post by PatrickHughes »

Críoch wrote:
Root wrote:I recently updated my pc, mounted a new motherboard + cpu. You really don't need to go for an intel cpu if you are not a gaming crack that needs a hundredth of a second precise frame calculation. I got the amd 8350 (130€) which is in the second generation now very stable and fast. only thing it needs a bit more power, but that's worth it. Compared to the intel cpus it shure is a bit slower, but yeah, during the last 4-5 years there were no real progresses in this, so you don't need the newest and most expensive. I run with this and 8gb ram ableton live and can load huge amounts of plugins, play 5 Hardware synths at the same time, without any struggle. SDD is a must!
That sounds like a brilliant machine. Would absolutely do me perfect!

I remember using computers with AMD chips in them years ago & they were dreadfully underpowered machines. The particular machines in question were long past their glory days by the time we got hold of them in work, but I've carried a negative opinion of them since haha - I know :? :lol:

They're obviously damn good chips nowadays - I know what you are saying.. but I think I'll give it the max of everything I can afford. I dont mind saving up. I've got eyes bigger than my wallet at the moment.. but it'll be worth it. I'd like to upgrade to future versions of Ableton & all of that, so it would be nice to not have to touch it for a long time.
AMD just released their new Ryzen cpu line that blows their old lines out of the water and definitely is the best bang for your buck right now for cpu's. Check out the Ryzen 5 line which you can pick up for about $170. Not only is it more powerful but it's more efficient and has a very low power draw which can save you money on your PSU too. Their higher end Ryzen 7 even beats Intel for multi threaded applications but from my understanding of using FL Studio most DAW's only take advantage of a single core.

ekwipt
Smore

Post by ekwipt »

If you're going to go down the hackintosh route this is what i built last year:

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-X99P-SLI MB
CPU: Intel Core i7 6800K
Graphics: Gigabyte GeForce GT 710
Other Hardware: NZXT Kraken X61 Liquid CPU Cooler
NZXT H440 Black Case
EVGA 850W SuperNOVA G2 Modular
G.Skill Trident Z 32GB (3200MHz) DDR4
Samsung 512GB 950 PRO Series
Samsung 500GB 750 EVO Series

Here's the buyers guide: https://www.tonymacx86.com/buyersguide/may/2017

you can build something for much cheaper, latest Kaby Lake 1151 motherboards and just use on board graphics for example:

Intel Core i7 7700K
Gigabyte GA-Z270X-UD3
Gigabyte GC-ALPINE RIDGE (Thunderbolt 3)

for example

rktic
Utter Cunt

Post by rktic »

Hey John,

how's the situation with software licenses bound to Mac OS? Can you switch that easily, are your licenses transferable? That's something to consider as well before switching systems.

General advice on PC hardware:

The only thing that says something about a setups DAW realtime performance is a DAW benchmark. Simply opting for a fast CPU by specs can get you in ugly places like latency hell. The right combination of CPU, mainboard, RAM and audio interface is key if you're aiming 64ms or lower. Especially when USB 3 comes into play.

If you want to play it safe, go to Scan.co.uk and get one of their machines. You will always be cheaper by buying the parts on your own but given your lack of experience with ironing stupid hardware issues - this is a route worth considering.

https://www.scan.co.uk/3xs/custom/daw-d ... actors#anc

You can get in touch with Pete or the other guys from Scan before buying a machine, fill them with your needs etc.

Whatever you do next, do yourself a favor and don't jump on the latest technology bandwagon (Ryzen). Given your situation to spend money once for the next years, don't buy anything that didn't withstand the test of time yet (teething problems).

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Yes.. I get your point Ronny. Im aware of Scan & what they offer. They're good. Was on their site last night & did a bit of looking around at different Specs.

They are quality machines.. but you also get the expertise & support before, during & after. I definitely see how that would be an advantage. I'll get in touch with them & sound out what I need.

Thanks for the latency tip!
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Just to say.. that I've been doing a comparison of prices using the spec of a machine from Scan Vs. buying all the parts individually. Scan appear to be excellent value for money. Hard to beat on total cost & they give the added value of putting the machine together for you / 3 years of support.

Good recommendation Ronny. Thanks for the advice.

rktic
Utter Cunt

Post by rktic »

Críoch wrote:Just to say.. that I've been doing a comparison of prices using the spec of a machine from Scan Vs. buying all the parts individually. Scan appear to be excellent value for money. Hard to beat on total cost & they give the added value of putting the machine together for you / 3 years of support.

Good recommendation Ronny. Thanks for the advice.
They also take care a perfectly setup BIOS and stuff like that. I'd probably hint them with my audio hardware so they can take it into credit.

terryfalafel
Component

Post by terryfalafel »

rktic wrote:Hey John,

how's the situation with software licenses bound to Mac OS? Can you switch that easily, are your licenses transferable? That's something to consider as well before switching systems.

General advice on PC hardware:

The only thing that says something about a setups DAW realtime performance is a DAW benchmark. Simply opting for a fast CPU by specs can get you in ugly places like latency hell. The right combination of CPU, mainboard, RAM and audio interface is key if you're aiming 64ms or lower. Especially when USB 3 comes into play.

If you want to play it safe, go to Scan.co.uk and get one of their machines. You will always be cheaper by buying the parts on your own but given your lack of experience with ironing stupid hardware issues - this is a route worth considering.

https://www.scan.co.uk/3xs/custom/daw-d ... actors#anc

You can get in touch with Pete or the other guys from Scan before buying a machine, fill them with your needs etc.

Whatever you do next, do yourself a favor and don't jump on the latest technology bandwagon (Ryzen). Given your situation to spend money once for the next years, don't buy anything that didn't withstand the test of time yet (teething problems).
Can you recommend a DAW benchmarking tool?

rktic
Utter Cunt

Post by rktic »

g3_d9
Unfriended

Post by g3_d9 »

Buy? hmmmm.
"The sad thing about artificial intelligence is that it lacks artifice and therefore intelligence" -
Jean Baudrillard.