Help buying my first synth

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
marcojacobs
GET A FUCKING AVATAR!!
Help buying my first synth

Post by marcojacobs »

Sup folks,

Since I have saved some money I think it is time to get my first synth. I'm looking to spend around €400, but I was hoping some of you would have some recommended synths.

I'm currently looking at the Aira system-1 which I can get quite cheap second hand. But since more & more synths are coming out in my price range i'm not quite sure if this would be the best choise.

I'm mostly looking to create leads, pads and such. Not bothering much about bass but I guess all synth's could create a good bass when the sound design is done right (correct me if i'm wrong)

Also liking the minilogue, but I think that would be a pretty advanced synth for my first one :)

Any tips are very much appreciated!

PixelKind
who is it?
Re: Help buying my first synth

Post by PixelKind »

I think the Minilougue would be a great first synth. Its very hands-on and follows a standard architecture for subtractive synthesis. Also very flexible in its sound palette. I would say its the best bang-for-the-buck synth out there right now

Senko
decent

Post by Senko »

Virus B if you catch a good deal.

P0607r0n
Metric Martyr

Post by P0607r0n »

+1 for minilogue, it's good choice which can provide pads, leads and with bit of wiggling also "such" ;)
I think it's good for first synth, as it goes standard, bread butter substractive way.

Virus B, or C is good all rounder, but you would need to externally sequence it (through midi from your DAW or hardware seq) and seems to me bit more complex than Minilogue.

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

Think minilogue isn't that complex for you. Its routing in pretty standard substractive stylo.

Anyhow, I'd suggest getting second hand either way. At least I prefer that, if I get a good price and find out the synth isnt for me I just sell it for the same price i bought it. No harm done on my wallet and I feel better knowing the synth wasn't manufactured for me thus meeting my environmental intent.

In my experience you need to buy and sell quite some stuff before you find something that actually gets a steady spot in your setup. So buying it all new isnt necessary at all.

Other synth you could check out(not sure you specifically want a poly, there are some mono's on there too):
- Blofeld
- Alpha Juno 2 (though maybe not best as a first)
- Reface dx
- Bass Station
- MiniBrute

rktic
Utter Cunt

Post by rktic »

I think the Minilogue is actually the easiest synth to start with. Ok, the amount of knobs might look overwhelming to you. BUT: it offers direct access to the entire workflow. It'll help you wrap your head around synthesis much faster than anything based upon abstract menu diving (Blofeld, Reface, Alpha Junos). And it's more capable than the Bass Station and Minibrute.

marcojacobs
GET A FUCKING AVATAR!!

Post by marcojacobs »

Thanks guys for the answers! Now i'm really starting to think I will buy a minilogue, been watching some extra video's about and it really looks and sounds good. My synthesis is at a really basic level but I just can't get to it when using a VST, i want to touch and turn knobs haha! The minilogue seems to have it all to get started in synthesis :)

I can buy one for around 500 euro second hand, which imo is a pretty okay price.

innovine
hmmmmmm...

Post by innovine »

Welcome to the world of hardware synths...
Over-budget by 20% on DAY TWO.

Prophän
Back Bling

Post by Prophän »

You could find one for as much as 400E if you look good, it's worth 630 ish new so definitely try to bring the price down

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

rktic wrote:I think the Minilogue is actually the easiest synth to start with. Ok, the amount of knobs might look overwhelming to you. BUT: it offers direct access to the entire workflow. It'll help you wrap your head around synthesis much faster than anything based upon abstract menu diving (Blofeld, Reface, Alpha Junos). And it's more capable than the Bass Station and Minibrute.

I agree with this 100% I just wanted to broaded his /her horizon.

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

Where re you from? If your grom the netherlands i can point you towards good places.

marcojacobs
GET A FUCKING AVATAR!!

Post by marcojacobs »

Alume wrote:Where re you from? If your grom the netherlands i can point you towards good places.
Yeah, i'm from the netherlands :)!

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Might as well go analog for your first synth.
Poly too, for versatility.
At that price I'm not sure there are any better options than the minilogue.
Hardly any menu diving at all, knob per function, great sound, and has some unusual features you can make use of when you get more well versed in synthesis as there are some cool routing features, cross mod, ring mod.
Pretty much best value for money synth on the market right now.

I think used poly800s come in to your price range but they aren't really very hands on. Very button based, and the build quality back then wasn't great.

Virus A or B comes in your range. Possibly a little overwhelming as a first synth, but plenty of knobs.

Minilogue, do it. There are loads of great tutorials on YouTube for it.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

marcojacobs wrote:
Alume wrote:Where re you from? If your grom the netherlands i can point you towards good places.
Yeah, i'm from the netherlands :)!

Cool ok, I already saw that on Marktplaats they are going for 500. Seems you could do better than that. Either way, its ok to contact the sellers even if you think the price is to high. There is always some wiggle room. Bid 400 en maybe meet halfway, if the guy is chill.

Otherwise check: Synthforum.nl, they have a market section with almost everything on there. Also check out "Amsterdam Gear Exchange" which is a markt page on facebook.

With synths that aren;t vintage or all that try to get the original box, that way it will be easier to sell later on if needed.

Either way, Minilogues arent hard to find. I'm sure you'll do fine.

willemb
Mild

Post by willemb »

Is it no longer referred to as the clickilogue? Did it get resolved while I was away?

PixelKind
who is it?

Post by PixelKind »

Yeah they sorted it with a firmware update

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

OP if you buy a used minilogue you might need to update the firmware, but it`s easy via usb
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Andre_Crom
rescued

Post by Andre_Crom »

i recommend the vermona mono lancet.

just got it myself, very straightforward, great sound, easier to use than the minilogue.

but more limited as well, as monophonic and no patch saving, so you need to record your sounds immediately.

however i think for a beginner it's a great way to lean about synthesis, exactly because you need to dial everything in yourself (which is very intuitive with this synth).

delphine
Suspect Handshake

Post by delphine »

hey, i'm just here throwing another one in for minilogue

g3_d9
Unfriended

Post by g3_d9 »

Seems fairly obvious given the responses..... so, i shall not argue...

i;d have asked what you intend to use it with (DAW etc.) though..... as above.
"The sad thing about artificial intelligence is that it lacks artifice and therefore intelligence" -
Jean Baudrillard.