What's the reverb in this Mills track?

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
dubdub
Asphyxiwank
What's the reverb in this Mills track?

Post by dubdub »

youtu.be/ZfSQTdfl_hI

Lol, so many reverb threads recently :)

At 1:56 and then from 3:30 towards the end. Turning up the reverb send for like a second seems to be a classic techno trick but I can never can get that kind of cool texture. Not sure how to describe it but it sounds really "hollow" and fits the dry signal really well. When I try to do this I just get a big, muddy cloud of reverb that shits all over the rest of the mix and doesn't really fit rhythmically, even if I try to EQ and keep the decay short etc. ...

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt
Re: What's the reverb in this Mills track?

Post by Lost to the Void »

Well, mills uses old lexicon stuff.
Sounds to me like he turns up the send and turns down the decay quickly so the verb mutes off quickly.
Just low cut within the EQ to prevent it getting muddy.
Sounds like plate reverb.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

Lost to the Void wrote:Well, mills uses old lexicon stuff.
Sounds to me like he turns up the send and turns down the decay quickly so the verb mutes off quickly.
Just low cut within the EQ to prevent it getting muddy.
Sounds like plate reverb.
Good to know, I suspected it being a plate verb. I have this weird aversion of using plate for anything other than drums but i'll give it a try. I will try the turning down the decay thing.

Do you know what other FX he used/uses? Since i'm not a hardware guy I rarely geek out over gear but with Mills there's this aura of mystery around it, like how the fuck did he make this stuff? His mid 90s stuff is just something else.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

I use plate a fair amount in techno.
Its generally very textural and not as real world sounding as others, which I think is more appropriate to the genre.

There was a studio interview\tour with mills years ago where it showed his gear and he talked about it.
I can't remember much about it now, DX7, DX100, TG33, 909, 808, SH101 and I think a polysix, though that might have been Hood.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

Lost to the Void wrote: There was a studio interview\tour with mills years ago where it showed his gear and he talked about it.
I can't remember much about it now, DX7, DX100, TG33, 909, 808, SH101 and I think a polysix, though that might have been Hood.
Interesting, i've read quite a few interviews with him and to me he always comes across secretive about what he uses in the studio. I thought his more recent stuff is all Microwave XT? At least that's what i've heard and there is a picture of him using it for a live set somewhere. I think Mills had a Mono/Poly in the 90s and some of the H&M stuff is definitely a Polysix, although I don't think Hood in the 90s ever had anything except an Alpha Juno, Juno 6, SH101, 303 (the mileage he got out of that gear is pretty insane...).