The 4 hour challenge.

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
Stace
Classical Approach
Re: The 4 hour challenge.

Post by Stace »

Pelecaras wrote:
StacieAnne wrote:I am too easily distracted to keep my mind on one task for 4 hours :lol:
:lol: me too....my psychotherapist says that from the evidence I showed all the signs of ADHD as a child (but cos it was the seventies/eighties I was just labelled a naughty little cunt :lol:
Yeah, I am the same. I wasn't really a naughty cunt but really think I show a lot of signs of it. My friends think I do as well. It is well annoying at times :roll:

terryfalafel
Component

Post by terryfalafel »

My effort was so shit I am going to have a redo. I'm having one of those weeks where after spending a couple of hours with all the gear switched on, I just want to chuck it out of the window. Fingers crossed some inspiration will strike over the weeekend.

Just had a listen through page 2. Some great stuff in here!
PatrickHughes wrote:Here's my track, definitely took me out of my comfort zone to pick up the bpm and not use reverb and delays. I did take away that I should use more distortion on the rest of my tracks for sure. Cool challenge overall.

Nice! The whole thing is good, but from 4:38 it really rolls along. This track takes me right back to the 90s (in a good way)!
Lost to the Void wrote:Enjoyed doing this, always good these type of exercises. I need to stop getting so bogged down in details, so this was fun.
3 hours, 10 channels, 126bpm because......
I liked just committing to decisions and making much more immediate mix choices.
https://soundcloud.com/voidloss/heretic ... ns/s-AChz6
Great textures and atmospheres in this. Like the previous one, I love the groove that ends the track following the last breakdown

This one's almost got an old jungle vibe running through it. Big!
StacieAnne wrote:Nowhere near enough time for me to do more than a kind of 2 min arrangement. The mix is worse the normal (if that is possible) but this is the end result. I actually really really enjoyed doing this. Thank you for the direction Ronnie :D

https://soundcloud.com/stacieannechurch ... os/s-w6f1s
Track not found :-(
Will Frances wrote:

Here is my effort. Time was limited I spent 2 hours on it, maybe a little less. Would have like to have sat on it for a bit to get objectivity. Not sure if its cheating- but if it sounds like I used reverb its the sample of a factory in the back ground. Also if it sounds like I used delay, its because I manually created them rather than using a plugin!

Oh yeah and 135 wow thats too fast for me...
Smooth and groovy - lovely synth sounds! Can't hear much distortion though!

rktic
Utter Cunt

Post by rktic »

Pelecaras wrote: thanks dude. will drumazon do?
Whatever floats your boat.

Stace
Classical Approach

Post by Stace »

terryfalafel wrote:
StacieAnne wrote:Nowhere near enough time for me to do more than a kind of 2 min arrangement. The mix is worse the normal (if that is possible) but this is the end result. I actually really really enjoyed doing this. Thank you for the direction Ronnie :D

https://soundcloud.com/stacieannechurch ... os/s-w6f1s
Track not found :-(
I took it down as it was a bit shit. This is where I currently am with it - https://soundcloud.com/stacieannechurch ... ng/s-P8juy I guess I have spent about 5 hours on it now.
I have used some verb now but in the initial 4 hours I stuck to the rulez.

(The mix is a mess as on shit earphones :lol: shock)

Will Frances
Gnasher

Post by Will Frances »

yeah one mans distortion is another mans saturation! I did use it though in subtle degrees Mr falafel ha ha

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Spent another hour on this to make it up to 4 hours.
Cleaned it up and changed stuff a bit.
Liked it enough to finish it properly.

Fun exercise overall. Going to listen to everyone else`s after me din din

Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

bram2000
reverse genius

Post by bram2000 »

Here's my attempt;

I mixed into buss-compression (ala Steve's recent guide) for this, and learned that:

- I find it hard to hear compression release time - perhaps because I have too much bass
- 10 tracks is not enough
- you can get a lot done in four hours
- I should use more distortion (but not on the kick drum)
- if you're not careful with limiting the master you can ruin any drops in your tune
- vocoder can sound great on percussion