I just don't think I am built to make Techno.

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
Prophän
Back Bling
Re: I just don't think I am built to make Techno.

Post by Prophän »

StacieAnne wrote:
If you would all be kind enough to hop over to my social media and give me a like and a follow I would be really grateful;

http://www.instagram/idontevenliketechno
http://www.twitter.com/onlyherefortheplaysandfollows
http://www.facebook.com/whatevenistechno

Thanks baes xoxo
You're welcome, I liked all your tracks btw, mind following me back and doing the same ? thanks xoxoxo

Stace
Classical Approach

Post by Stace »

Amon Derrich wrote:
StacieAnne wrote:
If you would all be kind enough to hop over to my social media and give me a like and a follow I would be really grateful;

http://www.instagram/idontevenliketechno
http://www.twitter.com/onlyherefortheplaysandfollows
http://www.facebook.com/whatevenistechno

Thanks baes xoxo
You're welcome, I liked all your tracks btw, mind following me back and doing the same ? thanks xoxoxo
Liked, re-posted and posted on my Tumblr.

Markus Wolf
reverse genius

Post by Markus Wolf »

TBH I didn't read the entire thread. But Im going to give you some advice. A good friend of mine who produces and releases quality tracks on a regular once told me "you're going to fail, you have to keep working at it", he also said "the best resource you could have is someone like myself who you can send music to and get an honest opinion on what the track needs and what you need to improve on" My point is, if you have someone who you can count on who is a good producer or DJ and has a good ear and will be brutally honest with you then you can go far If you decide to never stop and keep producing no matter how bad you think it sounds. If you take the criticism in a constructive way and actually try to improve on it, with hard work eventually anybody can make decent music. But work ethic and a little help from friends will go a long way. I would rather send a track to buddys who know music and get real feedback instead of post it on Soundcloud and get a couple Thumbsup and clicks.... Work, Feedback, Adjust. Then rinse and repeat. Also THE BEST PRODUCERS IN THE WORLD WHERE ONCE IN YOURE SHOES. But not giving up and FINISHING tracks is key. Good Luck.

tsaro
Lifer

Post by tsaro »

rktic wrote:Fancy an experiment? Make a track under these constraints:

- 135 BPM
- max 10 individual tracks
- distortion on *every* track (you decide the amount, but it should be audible)
- no reverbs is actually a great idea,
- no delays
- timebox: 4 hours

GO!
This is actually a great idea to get out of your own head and make something you normally wouldn't.

Came across the perfect sample pack the other day to complement this challenge, sample science did a wonderful job capturing the sounds of these modern classics:

http://rekkerd.org/wolfpack-free-akai-a ... lescience/

And miss OP, just make whatever you feel like and you will find your style eventually. If you're trying to force it, you're gonna have a bad time. I remember listening to some of your tracks over in the song section and I don't think it was that bad at all, so I'd say stop being so insecure about it and get to smashing up some samples with your favourite distortion plugins :lol:
how far do you want to go

Stace
Classical Approach

Post by Stace »

Thanks Markus and Vooodo for the words.

I want to say a MASSIVE thank you to Ronnie for dragging me out of my lamentable mindset and getting me to make something that sounds vaugly how I wanted. I am going to finish the track off. Already feeling so much happier :D

rktic
Utter Cunt

Post by rktic »

ASSUM!

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

The_G wrote:
jordanneke wrote:If I'm honest, I nearly gave up a few years back.
I DID give up. Three times. So basically my history in production is 1996-2002, 2007-2010, 2013-2014, and 2016-present.

I deeply regret all three, as I could have been so far ahead of where I am now. And I'm embarrassed by the fact that I preferred quitting over confronting my insecurities, inhibitions, bad habits and laziness. Underlying all of that was frustration that I wasn't making the quality of music I wanted to be making. But that's no excuse. I should have kept at it.
I started my synth love in 95 when I quit my classical education and bought my 1st synth.
I spent about 3 years making totally shitty music with horrible gear, but there simply was no internet so no fora or ebay or youtube or...

I quit the whole time I was at univ (thank god I never stopped playing piano like my sisters all did),
and restarted when I started working my 1st year, then very slowly build the studio and learned to work my gear.
I have very VERY few regrets in my life, but those 5 years I quit this thing is probably the biggest one.
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Cloaked wrote: For me I think it's a problem with being "too" musical... I play the piano to a decent level so am always trying to make sounds fit together in a chromatic way... but techno doesn't work by those rules.
This sounds extremely familiar.
Coming from a classical education, I never have a problem with coming up with new melodies, but I suck at percussion so yeah, I keep on adding more melodic stuff all the time.
I somehow always end up with tracks that have too much melodic content to be really considered techno,
but on the other hand can't possibly be considered house either.
I LOVE more raw techno, I really do, but it's simply not something I can make. I just can't do that.

On the other hand, when I hear the deeper techno that is in fashion now, like some Dozzy, Edit Select, Luigi Tozzi, Hydrangea, Abdullah Rashim,...
With some of these tracks, I can't help but thinking : I can do this, this is "within reach" so to say, on a theoretical level for me,
because I can come up with pads and textures like that, and the percussion is usually simple (hurray for my lack there),
but most of their pads and textures just never change much musically, and I'll always end up searching for some chords or whatever,
instead of slowly modulating that one sound.

One of these days, I'm gonna force myself to try that shit out.
I overcomplicate things musically to make techno.
I need to simplify.

But I always say "follow the track", and by following the track, I usually end up in my own specific world.
But is this so wrong in the end ?

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

StacieAnne wrote: Doubtful as you have a notion in your head that I was attention-seeking.
so you are the only non attention-seeking woman on this planet ? with pink hair ?? ;)

you truly are a unicorn !!

and btw : this topic was one of the best ones I've read on subsekt in ages.
thx Stace ! 8-)

and just continue to do your own thing ! ;)

innovine
hmmmmmm...

Post by innovine »

Hades wrote: One of these days, I'm gonna force myself to try that shit out.
I overcomplicate things musically to make techno.
I need to simplify.
Perhaps that would be good for the next techno challenge? 4 hours to make a track. As much percussion as you like. Only 2 notes allowed. You pick two notes, like A and D, and you can re-use them in any octave, just no other pitches whatsoever. Go!

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

I went in your post to correct the bad quoting.

I could never do anything serious in 4 hours though.
(I wouldn't mind the challenge, but no way I can do something I'm seriously happy with in 4 hours, too much of a perfectionist for that method of working)

I've been spending 2 hours alone on the hihats in my current track at the moment,
and I'm still only 80% happy.
so yeah...
But I do suck at percussion,
so maybe if the challenge is make some dreamy pad/texture + decent kick,
I'd have enough with 40 minutes or so...