Just bought a korg ES-1, anyone used one on here?

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
Southpaw
quasi-public
Just bought a korg ES-1, anyone used one on here?

Post by Southpaw »

Impulse purchase, spur of the moment thing and I know nothing about it :lol: That said, I haven't physically got it, just layed down a deposit as I recently bought other stuff which emptied my wallet but I'm quite looking forward to some sofa jams away from the PC and as I can be away from home for 2 weeks a month, it could be good to have something portable and quick on the go.

If anyone has any experience, good/bad whatever or even just some knowledge to share, it would be appreciated. I just caught something about sample naming and some confusion around that and also that it takes smart media cards, I don't even know off-hand whether I can insert a smart media card on my PC????

This demo here sounds pretty sweet so looking to see what this little device can do, even for resampling or something, sure to be some fun in there somewhere.

youtu.be/tqfVmpSM_80
Deep House & Dub Techno Samples https://www.abitdeeper.com/

buffered
Freestyler
Re: Just bought a korg ES-1, anyone used one on here?

Post by buffered »

i reckon the first lot of electribes were great. They are so much fun to use and pretty original. They came out at a time when the whole family of machines thing was not so common (ok tr series but you know.)
They have limitations but these are actually fun and eccentric to each box. Can yield creative outcomes.
I have experience with the er-1 and although i don't use it much anymore, I won't sell it.
If it were an impulse buy for a good price, you won't really regret it.

Dussle
Exampleless

Post by Dussle »

I have an es-1. I use it for fairly mundane sampling duties, when I really should be digging a bit deeper into it. Anyway, once you work out how to sample, chop and how the thing works, it is very useful. Mine has a mart media card which I think is basically used as a backup and takes a while to load from. I think your pc should be able to read it - mine has a slot for it but it is quite an old pc.

It's only got 90 seconds of sample time if you just use the on board memory, but that is good for getting you strict with samples and ensuring you are swift with starting and stopping recording samples, using as little of the onboard space as possible.

Revaron
reverse genius

Post by Revaron »

I used to have one, they're mega fun imo. They sound pretty nasty, but in a good way. Not much memory to work with, but definitely enough to cause some trouble. I didn't have a smart media card, but it's easy enough to just record stuff in, and I think smart media cards cost an arm and a leg these days because no one uses them anymore, so might be easiest to use it that way. If I still had it I'd probably still use it for resample duties and general pissing around. The only reason I don't really miss it is I picked up an ESX-1 further down the road and love it even more. Pair up with an ER-1 for maximum fun.