Another Looking For New Monitors Thread, looking for ideas..

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
Markus Wolf
reverse genius
Re: Another Looking For New Monitors Thread, looking for ide

Post by Markus Wolf »

@Resin, I dont know everything but I have owned studio monitors ranging form KRK's to Dynaudios to Adam's and everything in between. And I know for the $960 CDN for the pair of these Klipsch speakers I have yet to find something that can compete with the overall sound and ESPECIALLY the LOW END for s similar price. The bass was tight not flabby and not poppy like those monitors that dont have the low end extension which is most studio monitors under $2000. Like I said I played very familiar material on them and I was very impressed. This was coming out of a cheap $200 Amplifier. Ive heard the 305's they are like $279 each ATM so for a couple $$$ more you can have something that extends much lower and sounds allot better. This has been my experience. This was after spending 30 minutes with them in an untreated carpeted room. But two each is own. I like the KH120's but they dont go anywhere near as low and they are about $600 more.....BTW almost EVERY MARKET is filled with overpriced crap but its those who can shovel and see through the shiiite that will come out ahead with their purchases......This is just my opinion I could be very wrong but this is just the way I see it.

Markus Wolf
reverse genius

Post by Markus Wolf »

I should clarify, for the money the 305's are nice speakers.....So were the 308's for the money...

Resin
Pig

Post by Resin »

You only heard those Klipsch speakers in the store, right? Because, I fear the picture will chance dramatically as soon you put them inside your small room. But I could be wrong of course. And if you liked them, and can return them why not give it a shot. Though, it's not surprising that a floor standing speaker produces deeper low end. But keep in mind, this is designed for a living room, where you usually have a bigger listening distance, and do not have desk in front of it, and have a much bigger room to begin with. One studio I know uses B&W D3 in a 5.0 set up cramped into space comparable to yours, with a mixing desk, displays and other gear in the way... sounds like shit. I know another studio using the same speakers in a big room, with anything else designed around them... sounds fantastic.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Resin wrote:
I don’t know, but I don’t see a problem with class-d, either. I know class-d has a bad repetition, because of it’s early days. But these days are gone…
No it really hasn't, there are a surprising number of active nearfields out there that have been pulled apart and it is shown that they are essentially using souped up gainclones.

It's actually why I finally gave up on nearfield actives, found the passive pro market severely lacking and ended up diving in to hi end hifi for my new nearfields.
I honestly can't see myself going back, hifi has come a long way and I just can't see myself going back to the ass biscuit amps they stick in nearfields these days. They just don't deal with dynamics very well unless you spend a fortune.
A caveat to this is that I have become exceedingly fussy, so I am talking about fine degrees of difference.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Markus Wolf
reverse genius

Post by Markus Wolf »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Markus Wolf wrote:
Lost to the Void wrote:Would you consider floor standers or does it have to be desktop?
Just started searching google. How about floor standing Klipsch 3 way's? On paper they go down to 38hz. And they look quite affordable....

Klipsch reference are great.

It's worth checking out the Tannoy Revolution XT 8F. They are a great 3 way speaker.
I think you get a pretty stunning speaker for the money which I think is in your price range if you shop around. They are super crisp and have a very focused dispersal/window which is appropriate for monitoring, and they are pretty damn flat all the way down to the low 40s/high 30s. I'm not sure you can get anything else genuinely full range 3 way at similar price that would be monitor accurate. I would say they are pretty damn close to a mastering grade speaker.
I was considering a set for my mastering studio before a windfall allowed me to dramatically up my budget.
Definitely worth testing.
Both the Klipsch and the Tannoy's are more than Golden Ear Triton 7's!!!!! Which from what im reading can be had for about $1700 locally... I might just hold off and go for the Triton Sevens. On paper they cover all the bases. Reviews are also quite amazing.

Mslwte
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mslwte »

i still find it strange that we are suggesting hifi speakers here. but if we are, ill throw in the Q Acoustic 3000 range. i recently purchased the 3000 cinema pack (with 3020's as the front's) because they were rated as good for music as well as film etc. they sound really nice. i have been A/Bing my mixes between my studio monitors, the Q Acoustics and my car system which is dynaudio. i have been thinking that i might get the 3050 floorstanders in the future. ive heard them and the punch is good but the 3020's with the 3000 sub is a very nice pairing. they shake the room.
https://soundcloud.com/mslwte
https://noizefacilityrecords.bandcamp.com
https://www.instagram.com/subsekt909
https://www.facebook.com/subsekt909/
Lost to the Void wrote:Fuck off, get some tequila down ya neck and make some noise you cunt....

Markus Wolf
reverse genius

Post by Markus Wolf »

@Mslwte, Resin brought up a good point. Basically ergonomics. Fortunately my desk is not huge and will not obstruct floor standing speakers. If they have a relatively flat response and arent hyped then why not? The tweeters basically sit at ear height. I dont monitor at super hi levels so I dont see an issue with room size really. Plus my room is treated. Im having a hard time not looking at Hifi Speakers TBH. Im looking for reasons to go back to powered monitors which are relatively more expensive than some of these floor standing Hifi speakers Ive been looking at. Trust me Im looking for reasons but havent really found any at this point. If I go back to Adam A7x's for examples. They will run me $2100 for a pair. They dont go very low and can sound poppy in the lower registers. So for half the price (Amp Cost Aside) I feel like I can buy more accurate fuller range speakers. So please someone convince me otherwise before I make a fatal mistake, anybody?? But that being said, I had to state the obv but Im NOT saying all or even many Hifi speakers will be a great option. Just wanted to clear that up. To sum it up what im looking for is Extended bass response compared to Powered 2 way monitors, Detail and Better value and selection. So far It looks as tho Ive found all of these in one option or another. I AM NOT AN EXPERT IN FACT I PROBABLY KNOW LESS ABOUT THIS STUFF THAN EVERYONE IN THIS THREAD. BUT I HAVE BEEN READING LITTLE THINGS ALONG THE WAY AND HOPEFULLY THIS IS ENOUGH TO GET ME GOING IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION. BTW thanks for the suggestion I will check them out.

Mslwte
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mslwte »

im not going to confirm if the Q Acoustics are flat. tbh they have always been run through an AV amp that uses processing and they are not side by side to my monitors, they are more upstairs and downstairs! but i can run them pure direct so i will try that. all i know is that they are well reviewed speakers although probably not high end enough for studio use. probably the concept 40 is more what you are looking for.
https://soundcloud.com/mslwte
https://noizefacilityrecords.bandcamp.com
https://www.instagram.com/subsekt909
https://www.facebook.com/subsekt909/
Lost to the Void wrote:Fuck off, get some tequila down ya neck and make some noise you cunt....

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Markus Wolf wrote:
Lost to the Void wrote:
Markus Wolf wrote:

Klipsch reference are great.

It's worth checking out the Tannoy Revolution XT 8F. They are a great 3 way speaker.
I think you get a pretty stunning speaker for the money which I think is in your price range if you shop around. They are super crisp and have a very focused dispersal/window which is appropriate for monitoring, and they are pretty damn flat all the way down to the low 40s/high 30s. I'm not sure you can get anything else genuinely full range 3 way at similar price that would be monitor accurate. I would say they are pretty damn close to a mastering grade speaker.
I was considering a set for my mastering studio before a windfall allowed me to dramatically up my budget.
Definitely worth testing.
Both the Klipsch and the Tannoy's are more than Golden Ear Triton 7's!!!!! Which from what im reading can be had for about $1700 locally... I might just hold off and go for the Triton Sevens. On paper they cover all the bases. Reviews are also quite amazing.

I can't possibly recommended goldenear any more highly.
I have the Triton 1s in the mastering room and they are like gods to me.
The 7s have some updated tech from the v2 Triton 2s i think. New crossovers.
New Shit

arkos

Post by arkos »

Lost to the Void wrote:

How big of a room would you say is good for speakers that size ?
I'd be tempted to check out some floor standing hifi speakers in the future when I'll have room for them.

Markus: you have got pretty solid advice from Void, I reckon you could do a lot worse then trying out those speakers for 30 days that you guys mentioned earlier in the thread.

I mean if you don't like em at least you got a months use for free :)

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

arkos wrote:
Lost to the Void wrote:

How big of a room would you say is good for speakers that size ?
I'd be tempted to check out some floor standing hifi speakers in the future when I'll have room for them.

Markus: you have got pretty solid advice from Void, I reckon you could do a lot worse then trying out those speakers for 30 days that you guys mentioned earlier in the thread.

I mean if you don't like em at least you got a months use for free :)
Which? The Triton 1`s?
New Shit

arkos

Post by arkos »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Which? The Triton 1`s?
Eh yeah sorry forgot to include that, sure them for example.
And I was looking at those Tannoy's you recommended to Markus.
(Funny how marketing can brainwash people I saw a brand I know and I'm instantly interested in that... )

But at the moment this is all wishful thinking I'd have to move to another country to find a new house to live :shock:

Cheers.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Mslwte wrote:i still find it strange that we are suggesting hifi speakers here. but if we are, ill throw in the Q Acoustic 3000 range. i recently purchased the 3000 cinema pack (with 3020's as the front's) because they were rated as good for music as well as film etc. they sound really nice. i have been A/Bing my mixes between my studio monitors, the Q Acoustics and my car system which is dynaudio. i have been thinking that i might get the 3050 floorstanders in the future. ive heard them and the punch is good but the 3020's with the 3000 sub is a very nice pairing. they shake the room.

Recommending hi end hifi. Not just any old hifi.
I'm sure those Q acoustics are fine for home cinema, but they didn't show up on my radar when I was shopping for mastering monitors.
I think they are definitely on the consumer end of things. You don't hear about them in many serious audiophile places anyway.
New Shit

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

arkos wrote:
Lost to the Void wrote:
Which? The Triton 1`s?
Eh yeah sorry forgot to include that, sure them for example.
And I was looking at those Tannoy's you recommended to Markus.
(Funny how marketing can brainwash people I saw a brand I know and I'm instantly interested in that... )

But at the moment this is all wishful thinking I'd have to move to another country to find a new house to live :shock:

Cheers.
Well quite often you do need more room as floor standers aren't designed with nearfield listening in mind. This is why I recommended the Tannoys as they use dual concentric mid\high drivers you get a more focused image. You'd have to mount them on a plinth or something to get them to ear level still, as they are designed for couch sitting. But you could do this and have them poking over your desk like normal bookshelf speakers on stands.
One of the problems this solves is you have dual subs, which aids low end problems that a single sub can cause. The Tannoys would work in a medium size home setup I think.

The Triton 1s though are fucking beasts. Massive. I have them in a large room, can't remember the measurements. But my mastering studio is set up Bob Katz style, so I sit on a couch, the monitors are about 5 foot away from me and about 5 foot apart. Also nothing is between me and the monitors to get in the way of the sound. The monitor screen is between them by the back wall. And the gear is on low level wheeled racks.
So yeah, those things are definitely not nearfield.
New Shit

tenga
brown envelope

Post by tenga »

I have Tannoys reveal 802 (8") and they have very good low end!!
you can probably get something a lot better for you budget though...

If you want to improve your knowledge of your room/speakers , i recommend extracting the frequency response in your room/speakers with a program like https://www.roomeqwizard.com/ ... this will probably help you make a better choice ...

Also you can find the resonance modes of your room , which can be very annoying...

but , yes , i was also in the quest of better low end , and also bought a sub and all that....
my advice is to get to know the frequencies you seek , and take a better look at the frequency charts of the monitors... you will be surprised !!!
I remember i tested thoses Adam, they should be good thought !!!

Markus Wolf
reverse genius

Post by Markus Wolf »

Ok thanks for the replys. I ended up going with Klipsch Reference Premier which is an updated version of their previous Reference II Line. The frequency Response according to Klipsch is 34hz - 25khz. Good enough for me and my small room. They are called the RP260F, they have 2 x 6.5" Drivers and a Tweeter. They are approx 40" high and have a slightly angled stand so by the time they reach my ear they will be somewhat aligned. They have very good reviews and provide enough bass for my needs. The price was pretty good. I called around and basically got one quote then called someone else and they beat that quote etc. So I ended up with $1500 speakers for $1100. The money I saved will be used on a better amp maybe an NAD or something not sure yet. These things weigh about 50lbs each so they are quite heavy. I was very impressed with the performance of the series beneath this one, so if everything else is equal these should be slightly better :) I liked the Klipsch for the price, quality and so far performance. One thing I noticed was how they pointed out a weak vocal track to me when I played two vocal house tracks back to back. At first I thought hmmmm this vocal seems a little low but then I played a track recorded in a much higher end studio not basement and could immediately tell it was revealing the quality of the recording so that stuck in my mind and made an impression. BTW the track with the weak vocal is a very well known and liked tracked around the world. Anyways wish me luck fella's lets hope this all comes together and works. I joked with my wife that if these werent good for production we would have a nice set of speakers for the living room.

cheers

Markus Wolf
reverse genius

Post by Markus Wolf »

If anyone was interested in what ive blown my money on, it can be found here:

http://assets.klipsch.com/product-specs ... -Sheet.pdf

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Interesting, I know a few places that use the reference premier bookshelf 160`s as nearfields, and they are good.
LEt us know how it all goes, you might find them overwhelming in a small studio as those are meant for large rooms so the dispersal might be too wide, but proof is in the pudding as they say.
You won`t need a massively powerful amp either, they are rated up to 500, but if you drove them that hard in a studio you`d blow the place apart.
I reckon 200 watts a side of good quality amp should do the job.
Plenty of awesome amps to be had on the used market.
New Shit

arkos

Post by arkos »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Well quite often you do need more room as floor standers aren't designed with nearfield listening in mind. This is why I recommended the Tannoys as they use dual concentric mid\high drivers you get a more focused image. You'd have to mount them on a plinth or something to get them to ear level still, as they are designed for couch sitting. But you could do this and have them poking over your desk like normal bookshelf speakers on stands.
One of the problems this solves is you have dual subs, which aids low end problems that a single sub can cause. The Tannoys would work in a medium size home setup I think.

The Triton 1s though are fucking beasts. Massive. I have them in a large room, can't remember the measurements. But my mastering studio is set up Bob Katz style, so I sit on a couch, the monitors are about 5 foot away from me and about 5 foot apart. Also nothing is between me and the monitors to get in the way of the sound. The monitor screen is between them by the back wall. And the gear is on low level wheeled racks.
So yeah, those things are definitely not nearfield.
Thank you for the detailed information sir! Gonna note down those Tannoy's and check them out.
That mastering room sure sounds like a nice place to relax and listening to music :)

Markus; Congratz on the new speakers! I googled them and am having a look and boy they sure do look the part :)

tenga
brown envelope

Post by tenga »

Markus Wolf wrote:If anyone was interested in what ive blown my money on, it can be found here:
http://assets.klipsch.com/product-specs ... -Sheet.pdf
I've had similar type of column speaker set(focal , jbl , etc ) for years but always kept it in my living room ...
I was not aware this type of speaker+amp was used for studio/mastering...