If you were me in a small room, would you bother getting....

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
gedda
Metric Martyr
If you were me in a small room, would you bother getting....

Post by gedda »

If you were me in a small room, would you bother getting somewhat decent monitors like the krk 8s? I was thinking of getting headphones, maybe the Beyerdynamic DT-990 PROs while using old consumer hi fi speakers to just to know how speakers sound like since mixing on headphones is kind of tricky. Plus I don't want ear fatigue.

I can't really get the room treated, it's a bit smaller than a dorm room, there's books everywhere (can't put them elsewhere), an eliptical machine, and tons of crap. My point is that panels can't fit anywhere since it is a SMALL room.

terly
arsehole
Re: If you were me in a small room, would you bother getting

Post by terly »

I wouldn't get Krk monitors but it's not necessary to have a treated room to get some benefit from decent speakers.

That being said, working in a treated room with accurate monitoring is a dream.

dippy egg
Unartful

Post by dippy egg »

I would also suggest not buying KRK Rokits (if that is model you meant?). I used to have the KRK RP6 but replaced them with Focal Alpha 65s which weren't that much more expensive. When listening to both side-by-side in the shop the Focal blew the KRKs off the planet. However, I also have an untreated room so the difference isn't so great at home as the same issues with my room are still present.

I mostly use headphones now and would recommend the AKG 702. Monitors are still useful but aren't so important to me since I started using a good set of cans as I trust these more than my monitors in my poor sounding room. I would also go for drivers smaller than 8" too as you are very unlikely to get a good bass reproduction and the bigger drivers will most likely make this even worse.

Yamaha and JBL do some 5/6" budget monitors that have an excellent reputation (although I haven't listened to them personally). I would consider looking at one of these and a good pair of cans for a similar price to what the KRK rp8 would cost you. If budget isn't an issue then there's no harm in buying better monitors but this is what I would do.

gedda
Metric Martyr

Post by gedda »

What's wrong with the KRK rokit 8s? Is it an overkill or are they just not good speakers, or maybe I can do better on my crap room? Reason I wanted them is that Vince Watson produces on them and I like his music.

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

I do 99% of my mixing over the DT 770'S and I have a pair of KrK's and my room is untreated

The thing about headphones is is that it takes a LONG time to learn them.

Koichi
Wastedddd

Post by Koichi »

KRK 8s I've heard in a treated room and they don't sound great.
I have the KRK 6 rockits and they are way overly bassy in a crowded low-mid way. I also have Yamaha HS8s which are not so expensive and really a lot better than KRKs imo.
But then I also work in mates studio with Mackie H824s which are about twice as much as the Yamaha and i definitely say if you can afford it get those. Good monitors definitely make a huge difference.

Koichi
Wastedddd

Post by Koichi »

But as Jordanekke is saying above - you can learn to work with what you've got! Unfortunately because of my home life conditions and work life restrictions I do a lot of mixing in headphones and I have learnt how to do that, and also what my room and monitors add or reveal in a mix. Yeh you do get used to what you're using and it takes a while I've found too.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

gedda wrote:What's wrong with the KRK rokit 8s? Is it an overkill or are they just not good speakers, or maybe I can do better on my crap room? Reason I wanted them is that Vince Watson produces on them and I like his music.

Krk are mushy, kinda like what you expect hifi to be like, unless you know REAL hifi.
Vince has the skills and experience to mix on anything now.
For less experienced producers in untreated rooms you are making life difficult by using krk poop.

I would suggest monitors that have very clear imaging and transient response to reduce problems with early reflections.

I've tested Presonus Sceptre and love em. Recommended them to a bunch of people who now use em and love them. You also have the new Pioneer (yes but from TAD labs designed by Andrew Jones a speaker design star) RM07 and RM05 which are really really good, and employ some clever porting that extend the bass without mushing the sound, they sounded great when I was shopping for new monitors. You also have equator and fluid audio that do some good dual concentric, but I think Presonus or Pioneer would be your best bet.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Martin
clown

Post by Martin »

Lost to the Void wrote:
gedda wrote:What's wrong with the KRK rokit 8s? Is it an overkill or are they just not good speakers, or maybe I can do better on my crap room? Reason I wanted them is that Vince Watson produces on them and I like his music.

Krk are mushy, kinda like what you expect hifi to be like, unless you know REAL hifi.
For less experienced producers in untreated rooms you are making life difficult by using krk poop.

I would suggest monitors that have very clear imaging and transient response to reduce problems with early reflections.

I've tested Presonus Sceptre and love em. Recommended them to a bunch of people who now use em and love them. You also have the new Pioneer (yes but from TAD labs designed by Andrew Jones a speaker design star) RM07 and RM05 which are really really good, and employ some clever porting that extend the bass without mushing the sound, they sounded great when I was shopping for new monitors. You also have equator and fluid audio that do some good dual concentric, but I think Presonus or Pioneer would be your best bet.
I agree with this, switched my krk rokits for presonus sceptre 8 a couple of months ago. Even though im not fully used to them yet i find it much much easier to mix on the sceptres.

Leskey
non reader

Post by Leskey »

I am also in the process of replacing my krks... I am not sure whether it be worth getting a new pair of monitors or just getting good head phones?

The options would be to keep my krk 5 with the krk sub (which I exclusively use for djing atm) and buying new head phones akg 701 OR selling the krks and get something that will cost me an additional 200 EUR or so... Meaning equator d5 or fluid audio fx8 (fpx7 would Maybe be in reach depending on the Mrs hehe)

Leskey
non reader

Post by Leskey »

I might add that I have a non treated room aswell

arkos

Post by arkos »

Leskey wrote:I might add that I have a non treated room aswell
I feel like a frigging employ of Sonarworks now, but have you tried that ? Sonarworks Reference ?

It actually works pretty good for something that I initially wrote off as a total gimmick but after trying the demo I bought everything I needed from them as I have no space for proper acoustic treatment.

I find it difficult to produce entirely on headphones due to ear fatigue, I always end up with the volume maxed out and not even noticing it until my ears hurt :shock:

Leskey
non reader

Post by Leskey »

Nah I haven't... I mean... Should give it a try I guess

Atm I'm more leaning towards a pair of head phones and just sticking with that for a while. With a kid in a suburb of Stockholm I think the most realistic thing would be to get a studio somewhere...

arkos

Post by arkos »

Leskey wrote:Nah I haven't... I mean... Should give it a try I guess

Atm I'm more leaning towards a pair of head phones and just sticking with that for a while. With a kid in a suburb of Stockholm I think the most realistic thing would be to get a studio somewhere...
Well yeah if you got a kid just get some decent cans that way you'll be able to produce something at least :)
Best of luck.

Resin
Pig

Post by Resin »

arkos wrote:
Leskey wrote:
I find it difficult to produce entirely on headphones due to ear fatigue, I always end up with the volume maxed out and not even noticing it until my ears hurt :shock:

Dude, that's a very bad habit. I have my headphones set to a fixed level. If my ears get too tired, it's time too take a break. But I never ever crank them up.

P0607r0n
Metric Martyr

Post by P0607r0n »

Imho KRK 8 inch is overkill for a small room like yours.
I would go for ADAM A5X, they're smaller, but much better quality in similar price range... Or even for A3X, but don't quote me on those. ;)

Leskey
non reader

Post by Leskey »

Anyone have any experience with driving the k701 with a xone 23 as an amp for them? 200 mW at 30 ohm seems quite low for them huh?

gedda
Metric Martyr

Post by gedda »

Lost to the Void wrote:

I snagged myself a K701 online after browsing a thread where you recommended them. Next on the budget are those monitors. Much thanks!

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

K702s are the same headphones but with detatchable cables by the way.
Cables weren't an issue for me me so I got the 701s which can be got for really amazing prices at the moment.

Great headphones, I've done some mixes that translate extremely well on them, really a good addition to her monitoring arsenal.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

The_G
Artificial Hazard

Post by The_G »

Love my 702s. Miles above my M50s or monitors, in terms of accuracy and flatness.