I suck at finding vocal samples

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
Plyphon
endless
I suck at finding vocal samples

Post by Plyphon »

Has anyone got any tips or golden links to find any vocal samples?

Random diva chops or whatever I've got plenty of, and are quite easy to find.

I'm more after like the random word type chops, chicago house type stuff even.

"Work that"
"Like this"
"Do it again"
"Too deep"

etc etc etc

Thinking about it I think it's the only aspect of production I've not been able to "learn" just by reading and Google.

Resin
Pig
Re: I suck at finding vocal samples

Post by Resin »

For that kinda stuff I'd just get a mate with a dope voice and record a bunch of random phrases. Otherwise (scene related) documentaries and interviews are a good source.

frico
broke

Post by frico »

Searching for "acapella" on Soulseek (it still works!) or some other peer to peer clients will give you a ton of (admittedly overfamiliar) house and hiphop acapellas

TimBuys
happy bastard

Post by TimBuys »

Honestly, I am not as critical as some people here on Subsekt, but I would try to avoid the too obvious phrases. Unless the track is produced REALLY well it can sound cheesy really fast. Sometimes just chopping up a conversation the right way can work.

Check out acapella4u, lot's of stripped vocals from known songs.

Plyphon
endless

Post by Plyphon »

Yeah, admittedly they were just a few quick phrases that came to mind to get the point across.

Scene documentaries, thats a good idea. Wonder if skate/BMX/etc documentaries too would have some bits.

My flatmate has a pretty dope mic set up so I just need to make friends with someone with a deep voice...

Edit: also, Soulseek is dope! Never stopped using it.

rktic
Utter Cunt

Post by rktic »

Grab mic, say "suck my dick", record, chop, done.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Look for sample packs called dj tools.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

I used to watch about 20 films a month for more than a decade.
Sadly I only realized halfway those years that they were a goldmine for vocal samples.
But yeah, my vocals library is still far too big, and I use them far too much.
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

Southpaw
quasi-public

Post by Southpaw »

These days, surely Youtube is your best bet as far as immediacy? Depending on what you're looking for, artist interviews, political speeches, spoken word poetry, motivational speeches, there's tons of stuff. I like to watch certain things and sometimes catch stuff I could find useful but I rarely go looking for it. I guess unless you're actually into the subject matter, it could be boring as feck to sift through stuff like that.

What's cringeworthy and what's ok is probably down to context and the individual but for the music I am into which is kinda deep house with techno inspired elements, I quite like the use of bits of spoken vocal stuff, it has to fit the music and I can't be putting in things like 'jump' or 'hands up' lol but some things are ok in the right context. That said, I have in the past caught a few decent phrases and words found in Chuck D interviews, he has this deep, croaky voice and almost talks poetically but for the most part, I can't say I specifically go looking for anything.

If this was something you did a lot of, what would be cool was to just record your own voice and use something like Audio Ease Speakerphone. I've heard some amazingly generic & dry voice stuff put into authentic environments, that thing looks tailor made for that type of stuff but I guess it's complete over-kill if your'e just after a few words or whatever.
Deep House & Dub Techno Samples https://www.abitdeeper.com/

TimBuys
happy bastard

Post by TimBuys »

I like to use sounds that I have a connection with, like stuff that dates back to my childhood for instance. That way you will never get bored playing around with the sample and sometimes it will influence how you structure your track.

Squill
non reader

Post by Squill »

Southpaw wrote:These days, surely Youtube is your best bet as far as immediacy? Depending on what you're looking for, artist interviews, political speeches, spoken word poetry, motivational speeches, there's tons of stuff. I like to watch certain things and sometimes catch stuff I could find useful but I rarely go looking for it. I guess unless you're actually into the subject matter, it could be boring as feck to sift through stuff like that.

What's cringeworthy and what's ok is probably down to context and the individual but for the music I am into which is kinda deep house with techno inspired elements, I quite like the use of bits of spoken vocal stuff, it has to fit the music and I can't be putting in things like 'jump' or 'hands up' lol but some things are ok in the right context. That said, I have in the past caught a few decent phrases and words found in Chuck D interviews, he has this deep, croaky voice and almost talks poetically but for the most part, I can't say I specifically go looking for anything.

If this was something you did a lot of, what would be cool was to just record your own voice and use something like Audio Ease Speakerphone. I've heard some amazingly generic & dry voice stuff put into authentic environments, that thing looks tailor made for that type of stuff but I guess it's complete over-kill if your'e just after a few words or whatever.
THIS, and maybe freesounds. Plus they're tons of vocal packs out there, must be at least one that will fit your description

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

YouTube is a goldmine.
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB

Plyphon
endless

Post by Plyphon »

Basically the first track, and every other track that has vocals in this mix is the vibe/ stuff im after.

I've had a bit of luck finding some bits with hip hop vocals, and started looking at "ghetto" vocals last night which seem to be all that "FUCK DEM HOE" type stuff, but yet to find exactly what I'm after.

DJ tools is a good tip, must be some crass, overly sexualised stuff in that

totalcult
BAD

Post by totalcult »

http://www.loopmasters.com/products/356 ... ype-Vocals

This has plenty of "hype" type vox. Not at techno BPMs, but might be close to what you're after.

Root
BANNED

Post by Root »

In Hiphop they call it diggin in the crates. Just go and dig for good samples everywhere. It's about passion, listening to endless types of music, being aware of what will work fine for you...
:geek: