Ableton : "clicking" sound when triggering midi notes

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
ARiFF
snıuǝƃ ǝsɹǝʌǝɹ
Ableton : "clicking" sound when triggering midi notes

Post by ARiFF »

Hey guys,

i have been experiencing something strange this evening which i would like to get your opinions on. I was resampling some heavy reverbs on a kickdrum sample, and afterwards move the reverb into a simpler so i could trigger it using midi notes.

The weird thing is, while my kick sample ( which i done myself into Operator ) sounds crystal clear, and my resampled reverb has crystal clear quality aswell, everytime simpler triggers it with a midi note, i get this strange "clicking" artifact at the start of each note. I swear i didnt have this strange behaviour earlier this week. :roll:

Apparantly when i rebuild both samples, the noise comes back as soon as simpler gets involved. I read somewhere this might had something to do with overlapping analog sounds, of which the envelope gets reset as soon as a new note gets triggered, resulting in the "click" at each note. While this sounded like a decent explanation, i seem to be able to reproduce this with other samples too.

Anyone else has observed this before ? If so, did you find a solution for it, because i really think its annoying and i dont like unwanted sounds into my samples.

Sorry for my english grammar, its not my native language :oops:

FYI : i tried increasing the attack but the problem remains the same. Also i added a small fade-in and out volume envelope at the start and end of the reverb sample, just to make sure nothing was coming through at the initial trigger, but no joy.

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt
Re: Ableton : "clicking" sound when triggering midi notes

Post by Críoch »

Normally if I have that, a bit of adsr adjusting in simpler fixes it.

If I crop the audio & play it as a clip, if theres clicking.. I will do a little fade with the volume in the envelope section - then resample that. That usually fixes it for me.

Any use?
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB

ARiFF
snıuǝƃ ǝsɹǝʌǝɹ

Post by ARiFF »

Thanks for your fast reply ICN, thats what i tried aswell though, but no joy. I was probably adding the edit while you were already replying ;-)

This is what i read on Ableton forums about it :
having the same issue with operator when having long release times in monophonic mode.. as soon as a new note is triggered, the first one is cut and generates the click. especially on lower pitches like basslines.

not a huge deal once everything is in the mix, but would be nice to understand how to fix it..

i'm sure i am doing somewthing wrong, could be nice to know if there's something i can change to avoid it (envelopes? retrigger?, phase?).
:?

Program
Chernobyl

Post by Program »

From my experience; clicking occurs when your sample start marker ain't on the zero crossing. I think it's impossible for a speaker's membrane to start from a positive/negative value so you get annoying clicks as a result. You can fix that by adding some attack, but I would surely try with zero crossing 1st.

ARiFF
snıuǝƃ ǝsɹǝʌǝɹ

Post by ARiFF »

Think i might have found the cause + a working solution. When you have a sample with a XL release time ( eg. 50 or 60s ) and you use the default settings with 6 voices and the Retriggering active, thats when the clicking starts. If you disable the retriggering, put it on full release and keep the default 6 voices, the clicking stops and i have a clean pattern of notes playing. There's probably a logical explanation for it, but atm it works so i'll go for it without further brain torture.

@ Program :

thats what i had been thinking about also, but i had a nice piece of zero crossing in the beginning of the sample, where my start marker was positioned, and it still kept on doing it. Im sure it has something to do with it though, because if i moved the marker a tad bit further at a different zero crossing point, the clicking gets reduced, but it was still there.

anyways thanks everyone for the swift replying, mucho appreciated !

cheers !