What's the Cheesiest/funniest/worst track you've ever made?

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
Hades
Shit Eater
Re: What's the Cheesiest/funniest/worst track you've ever ma

Post by Hades »

I was recently cleaning up my old room in my parents place,
and I found back an old cassette from my very first demo of my very first electronic music project
made around 1995 on VERY shitty gear.

Still haven't found the balls to listen to it,
though I also found back my old walkman, which still ran on the batteries that were inside from like 20 years ago (!!) :shock:
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

Prophän
Back Bling

Post by Prophän »

You should post it man

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

I was gonna say : first gotta find a way to record it,
but that's just utter bullshit of course, with my studio here and all these cables...

la honte !

winston
unsure

Post by winston »

Hades wrote:I was gonna say : first gotta find a way to record it,
but that's just utter bullshit of course, with my studio here and all these cables...

la honte !
why not describe it then? (in under 1000 words)

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

winston wrote: (in under 1000 words)
that's like asking the Dead Sea to be salt-arm ! ;)

however, I don't feel my ego is so high and mighty and ow so very much important that I am not willing to share with thou my very first creative explorations in the genre of the electronic synthersizzerzzz music !

have patience, my love !

all bad things take time !

DixieWhiskey
BAD

Post by DixieWhiskey »

this was my first try at a daw ever from like 2007. I didn't pick one up again for several years aferwards for obvious reasons. Here it is, FL studio stock sounds in all their glory: https://clyp.it/vsyizcjp

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

DixieWhiskey wrote:this was my first try at a daw ever from like 2007. I didn't pick one up again for several years aferwards for obvious reasons. Here it is, FL studio stock sounds in all their glory: https://clyp.it/vsyizcjp
damn that's urmmm... interesting !! :D
you're a brave man for posting that. ;)

love how you're going all over in this track,
like some ADHD kid on speed or something. :D

DixieWhiskey
BAD

Post by DixieWhiskey »

why thank you! it looks like I set the cheesyness bar too high with that one :lol:

tsaro
Lifer

Post by tsaro »

DixieWhiskey wrote:why thank you! it looks like I set the cheesyness bar too high with that one :lol:
Sorry to burst your bubble, but that's nothing compared to some of the things I found on an old backup a while back... I'll see if I can upload some things the coming week, claiming my title as cheese master :P
how far do you want to go

[wesellboxes]
Q33 NY

Post by [wesellboxes] »

Years ago, myself and a mate made this Green Velvet parody. Did a fairly convincing jacking Relief style beat and mimicked that whiny yank drawl but coming out with gibberish like "Lost four pounds to the chip shop fruit machine, while waiting on the battered sausages to cook" "Tried to get a teenth on tick but no one hooooooooooome".

We had been drinking at the time.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

[wesellboxes] wrote:Years ago, myself and a mate made this Green Velvet parody. Did a fairly convincing jacking Relief style beat and mimicked that whiny yank drawl but coming out with gibberish like "Lost four pounds to the chip shop fruit machine, while waiting on the battered sausages to cook" "Tried to get a teenth on tick but no one hooooooooooome".

We had been drinking at the time.
we don't want some description, we want audio samples, damn it !

[wesellboxes]
Q33 NY

Post by [wesellboxes] »

Hades wrote:we don't want some description, we want audio samples, damn it !
A copy probably still exists on a disintegrating CD-R somewhere, but I'd be willing to bet the farm on it not being as funny as we thought it was at the time.

Southpaw
quasi-public

Post by Southpaw »

Everything I do seems like cheese. When I'm in the studio, the reek of cheese is apparent to everyone :(

Southpaw
quasi-public

Post by Southpaw »

I liked it

tsaro
Lifer

Post by tsaro »

https://soundcloud.com/vo0doo/sets/cheese/s-YZ9Ce

Alright, some nice old cheeses for you to enjoy. Sorted the playlist roughly by the year it was made, all tracker based tunes (Octamed, Madtracker and Modplug), and from track 2 onwards mixed with programs like Acid and Cubase (and also some dicking around with Sound Studio Gold, which came with my Terratec EWS 64S iirc...). A couple of them even got released if you can believe it, though I doubt anyone will know them (which I don't mind at all tbh :v). A couple aren't final versions, just uploaded what I could find.

Also did a pretty kickass remix of Their Law way back (if I say so myself), haven't been able to find it yet though.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

vo0doo wrote:https://soundcloud.com/vo0doo/sets/cheese/s-YZ9Ce

Alright, some nice old cheeses for you to enjoy. Sorted the playlist roughly by the year it was made, all tracker based tunes (Octamed, Madtracker and Modplug), and from track 2 onwards mixed with programs like Acid and Cubase (and also some dicking around with Sound Studio Gold, which came with my Terratec EWS 64S iirc...). A couple of them even got released if you can believe it, though I doubt anyone will know them (which I don't mind at all tbh :v). A couple aren't final versions, just uploaded what I could find.

Also did a pretty kickass remix of Their Law way back (if I say so myself), haven't been able to find it yet though.
I love how cheesy those keys sound in that 1st track,
did you use GM sounds for that ?
1st synth I bought was a used Roland JW-50 in '94, because it was the only thing used I could find in the days before internet. It only had GM sounds, haha, those were just horrible. But it had to have a sequencer onboard, or I wouldn't be able to record anything I made, so yeah...

something tells me you discovered electronic music properly around 99,
cause that 3rd track sounds like a cheap Daft Punk rip-off made with some loops.

the 4th one wasn't really that bad, tbh. 5th one sounded a lot worse executed.

My stuff from like 95/96 would probably sound a lot worse, but then using a HW sequencer (that was nothing like say an MPC or something) and only GM sounds... hahaha...
and then having to go on stage in front of a crowd where 90% knew shit about any electronic music...
sure don't miss those days. :lol:

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

when Spectrasonics released Keyscape,
they also incorporated a few of the key sounds from some of the more "legendary" digital synths from like end of the 80's to mid 90's.
It totally beats me why people would still want that crappy, cheesy, thin piano sound.
Just like it blows my mind why people would nowadays still want a D-50.

I just can't get why people would be interested in such a shitty sound.

tsaro
Lifer

Post by tsaro »

Hades wrote: I love how cheesy those keys sound in that 1st track,
did you use GM sounds for that ?
1st synth I bought was a used Roland JW-50 in '94, because it was the only thing used I could find in the days before internet. It only had GM sounds, haha, those were just horrible. But it had to have a sequencer onboard, or I wouldn't be able to record anything I made, so yeah...

something tells me you discovered electronic music properly around 99,
cause that 3rd track sounds like a cheap Daft Punk rip-off made with some loops.

the 4th one wasn't really that bad, tbh. 5th one sounded a lot worse executed.

My stuff from like 95/96 would probably sound a lot worse, but then using a HW sequencer (that was nothing like say an MPC or something) and only GM sounds... hahaha...
and then having to go on stage in front of a crowd where 90% knew shit about any electronic music...
sure don't miss those days. :lol:
Actually, I've been listening to house/techno since 1993 exchanging mixtapes with mates, and I bought my first vinyl around 1994, a couple of Plastikman records :v

When I started out writing around '95 it was mostly house, breaks and techno. And the odd trance track, of course way before trance turned into a cheesefest. I only started doing cheesy 80's style synth rock later on. Though not a lot of it has survived except some sketches. What I still have from 95-97 (at least longer than a minute) just wasn't cheesy enough to make the list..

Still looking for a folder of tunes I did with an mc303 (and my DR5 before that), which should should contain enough cheese to organise a good wine tasting to go with it. It most likely didn't survive multiple backup migrations (and a couple of recoveries) in the end.

Could well be some GM sounds in the that 1st one, back then I ripped lots of sounds from other mods, never thought to sample GM myself. Most of the sounds in that track came from my DR5 though iirc.

No loops in that Daft Punk knockoff btw, it's all sequenced. Unless you count a cut up guitar loop.. Never really liked to use loops unless they're thoroughly chopped up, as it just doesn't feel like you really made something yourself when just pasting in whole parts. And it's a fairly simple track anyway. It also didn't help that around the time I started getting more serious about making my own tracks, Magix Music Maker came out, which really increased my hate for people using loops saying they write their own music...

Here's a track from around the same period as the first one (just to prove....well...something :v), which I actually still kind of like regardless of how old it is. Probably just nostalgia though... Bonus points if you can guess the synth I sampled for the bassline :D

https://soundcloud.com/vo0doo/do-it/s-Wm0DR

Now, this topic wouldn't be complete with some of your older tracks Hades, you've got me curious as to how your old cheese smells :P

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

vo0doo wrote: Actually, I've been listening to house/techno since 1993 exchanging mixtapes with mates, and I bought my first vinyl around 1994, a couple of Plastikman records :v

When I started out writing around '95 it was mostly house, breaks and techno. And the odd trance track, of course way before trance turned into a cheesefest. I only started doing cheesy 80's style synth rock later on. Though not a lot of it has survived except some sketches. What I still have from 95-97 (at least longer than a minute) just wasn't cheesy enough to make the list..

Still looking for a folder of tunes I did with an mc303 (and my DR5 before that), which should should contain enough cheese to organise a good wine tasting to go with it. It most likely didn't survive multiple backup migrations (and a couple of recoveries) in the end.
well, pretty much the same here, except at the time I wasn't exactly mostly into electronic music, to say the least... I only slowly got completely hooked into techno maybe 7 or 8 years ago.
But yeah, I was buying techno records as soon as I was buying my own records, and not just listening to tapes.
Hell, in the 1st 2 years or something that I DJ'ed, I simply didn't have enough money to buy enough CD's to keep my sets interesting enough when I had to DJ like every 2 weeks. So I actually used recordings from tapes I had, having to make sure that I cut to the next track before the radio guy got heard... :D
oh man...

2nd piece of gear I bought after my JW-50 was the MD-C1 "dance module", which as a huge step-up sound-wise compared to those stupid GM sounds. I still have it somewhere in my basement.
3rd piece I bought was, like you, that MC-303, the 1st groove box ever made afaik.
vo0doo wrote: Now, this topic wouldn't be complete with some of your older tracks Hades, you've got me curious as to how your old cheese smells :P
man, I just put other batteries into my old walkman, and after a lot of patience, I finally got it to play that lousy tape from 22+ years ago...
the walkman is so wasted you can even literally hear it go faster and slower, haha
now there's some real tape for ya !!

the music is damn right horrible...
if I can get it to play once more upstairs in my studio, I'll try and record some parts.
Trust me, I would win the most cheesiest shit if this was a competition. :D ;)

god those horrible GM sounds...
maybe I'll find back some of the tracks I made with my MD-C1, the quality is a lot better and more representative for what I was trying to do back then with the shitty gear I had...

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

before I had that MD-C1...
I clearly remember using almost all those GM sounds like totally in the upper or lower range of the keyboard,
because otherwise they were so bad I just couldn't do anything with it that got me even slightly interested...

That certainly changed when I got that MD-C1...
I should take it out of the basement and hook it up, just for the fun.
Sold that MC303 maybe 13 years ago, never regretted that all right...