Post by Alume »

What a beaut

Alume
Confetti
Re: Elektron Digitakt

Post by Alume »

Overbridge premium?

Fuck that shit elektron, not amused.

What a dick move, what a dick terminology.

As an elektron f boy, I'm hurt. No coolio

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

ey?
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

PixelKind
who is it?

Post by PixelKind »

The basic overbridge only offers basic features for the DigiTakt. U have to buy the premium version for 79 Euros to get all features

https://www.elektron.se/overbridge/

Overbridge Premium
Fully integrate Digitakt with DAW environments
Control Digitakt with a dedicated VST/AU plugin interface
Use Digitakt as a 2 in/2 out sound card (CoreAudio/ASIO/WDM)
Stream the eight internal tracks to separate DAW tracks (24 bit/48 kHz)
Recall all Digitakt settings when loading a DAW project
Plus all features of Overbridge Basic

Overbridge Basic
Sample manager/librarian functionality
MIDI over USB
Digitakt sequencer/DAW sync
Computer screen visualization of Digitakt parameters
Audio streaming of Main outs over USB (time limited sessions)

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

Restrictions and rules from a brand that was promised to break them.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

PixelKind wrote:The basic overbridge only offers basic features for the DigiTakt. U have to buy the premium version for 79 Euros to get all features

WHAAAT?

Elektron taking the piss and making it a form of art!!
New Shit

Monreal
You only live once

Post by Monreal »

Fuck me, for a second I thought this was for all the Analog stuff.

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

The rants on the elektron forums are quite spot on.

PixelKind
who is it?

Post by PixelKind »

Its funny. If they would have charged 79 Euros for Overbridge from the beginning on it would have been a totally different story. They obviously put a lot of work into it

terryfalafel
Component

Post by terryfalafel »

Seems a bit obnoxious, but to look at it another way the unit itself costs €79 less than it would otherwise have done if they had not made the extended Overbridge optional.

I guess most people will want it, but not everyone. Remember this is meant to be their cheaper unit so they probably built it to a price point and didn't want to go any higher.

terryfalafel
Component

Post by terryfalafel »

Bloody hell, just had a look at that Elektron forum for the first time. People seem to take quite an entitled attitude over there!

Fair enough to be disappointed over the price, but some of them make it sound like the CEO should be taking them out for dinner and sucking them off afterwards just to show his gratitude for buying the box. They seem to forget Elektron is a business which needs to make money to succeed.

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

terryfalafel wrote:Seems a bit obnoxious, but to look at it another way the unit itself costs €79 less than it would otherwise have done if they had not made the extended Overbridge optional.

I guess most people will want it, but not everyone. Remember this is meant to be their cheaper unit so they probably built it to a price point and didn't want to go any higher.
They promoted it as 650 euro entry unit with OB capability.

Raising the price (770) and then asking 70 euro for overbridge out of the blue in a month of silence doenst send of a good message.

Its a dick move, its that simple. There is no positive way to see it.

The unit is marketed in a fringe area where existing users have no use for it becasue it seems to lack function>money and entry users almost have to pay 1k (830) for an underachieving device. it doenst make sense.

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

terryfalafel wrote:Bloody hell, just had a look at that Elektron forum for the first time. People seem to take quite an entitled attitude over there!

Fair enough to be disappointed over the price, but some of them make it sound like the CEO should be taking them out for dinner and sucking them off afterwards just to show his gratitude for buying the box. They seem to forget Elektron is a business which needs to make money to succeed.
Yes but there is an entire community behind the products, Elektron isnt just any other synth manufacturer. They where supposed to show the rest how its done, take care of your customers, build quality stuff and no monkey business.

And fair enough, some comments are a bit our there. including my own, but I feel the same about it.
Last edited by Alume on Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

terryfalafel
Component

Post by terryfalafel »

Ah, well if they promised one thing and then backtracked on their promise that's a different story and i will stfu :-)

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Yeah bad move.

You know, I've supported Elektron since very early days. It was a genuine boutique company back then, and the price reflected that, but you felt like part of a small club (which you were).
They are a bigger company now, and by no means are they a boutique company, but their prices have never changed, they have always remained premium, despite shifting waaay more units.
Now they do stuff like this.
I dunno, it has nothing to do with entitlement, I just like em less than I did.
New Shit

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

terryfalafel wrote:Ah, well if they promised one thing and then backtracked on their promise that's a different story and i will stfu :-)
Besides that they are marketing the heat as an audio interface via overbridge but a few months have passed and there's still no overbridge. even after an extensive demo on youtube.

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

Lost to the Void wrote:Yeah bad move.

You know, I've supported Elektron since very early days. It was a genuine boutique company back then, and the price reflected that, but you felt like part of a small club (which you were).
They are a bigger company now, and by no means are they a boutique company, but their prices have never changed, they have always remained premium, despite shifting waaay more units.
Now they do stuff like this.
I dunno, it has nothing to do with entitlement, I just like em less than I did.
Same here. Too bad, they couldnt keep strong

The_G
Artificial Hazard

Post by The_G »

Well, I'm quite interested in this one. Drum machine where you can send 8 individual channels of audio into a DAW. Sound card with 2 I/O. Overbridge. Compact. This may be what I've been looking for, i.e. something that can control my hardware synths without a computer and also integrate my hardware synths with a computer without having to also use an interface.

Then again, I'm new to using a hardware sampler/sequencer with a DAW. When I had an MPC, I did not have it hooked up to the computer. Then when I started using Cubase and Reason (and later Logic), I wasn't using a hardware sampler/sequencer. And tbh, I hadn't really used any hardware at all between 2006 and 2015. So my setup/connections knowledge is a bit rusty.

Looking at the MIDI (thru, out, in)...I could easily control 2 hardware synths with this thing, right?

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

The_G wrote:Well, I'm quite interested in this one. Drum machine where you can send 8 individual channels of audio into a DAW. Sound card with 2 I/O. Overbridge. Compact. This may be what I've been looking for, i.e. something that can control my hardware synths without a computer and also integrate my hardware synths with a computer without having to also use an interface.

Then again, I'm new to using a hardware sampler/sequencer with a DAW. When I had an MPC, I did not have it hooked up to the computer. Then when I started using Cubase and Reason (and later Logic), I wasn't using a hardware sampler/sequencer. And tbh, I hadn't really used any hardware at all between 2006 and 2015. So my setup/connections knowledge is a bit rusty.

Looking at the MIDI (thru, out, in)...I could easily control 2 hardware synths with this thing, right?
In theory you could do 8, though the audio/midi dont overlap like on the OT. So its or/or not and/and.

for 830 you could do better man, the sampler is mono and there seems to be no slicing, timestretching etc so loops are out of the question.

you could even get a seocnd hand OT for 850.

collide
Smore

Post by collide »

That Digitakt pricetag change is a shit move, indeed.