Elektron Digitakt

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
dubdub
Asphyxiwank
Re: Elektron Digitakt

Post by dubdub »

Seems like a pretty smart product to make, a drum machine + sampler that's easy to use for 650 euros is attractive to casual producers that can't or don't want to shell shell out 1200+ euros for an Octatrack or AR.

Belka
Wastedddd

Post by Belka »

Friend of mine bought Analog Rythm as his first machine because he thought "i do it right in the first step, no buying cheap buying double" etc.
We simply tried to connect it to his Mini Brute few month later just realizing after an hour of lulz and wtf that the AR do not sending Sequenzer Midi Data ... 1500 Euro Drum Maschine with a Sequenzer that not sending usable Midi Data... and thats just because Elektron wants u to use Octatrack (only Elektron Device thats sending Sequenzer Midi Data).

Huck Farper
Alf Garnett

Post by Huck Farper »

fx from the analog 4.. which means better reverb than that on the octatrack at least

I prefer this size/format over the octatrack.. plus overbridge. Going to jump.

Huck Farper
Alf Garnett

Post by Huck Farper »

Belka wrote:Friend of mine bought Analog Rythm as his first machine because he thought "i do it right in the first step, no buying cheap buying double" etc.
We simply tried to connect it to his Mini Brute few month later just realizing after an hour of lulz and wtf that the AR do not sending Sequenzer Midi Data ... 1500 Euro Drum Maschine with a Sequenzer that not sending usable Midi Data... and thats just because Elektron wants u to use Octatrack (only Elektron Device thats sending Sequenzer Midi Data).
They're great at omitting features these days that would normally have been included (silver boxes)...

Personally think this box is more attractive than the AR by a lot. I don't like performance pads at all and outside of a nice Kick, the AR doesn't do much for me.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Belka wrote:Friend of mine bought Analog Rythm as his first machine because he thought "i do it right in the first step, no buying cheap buying double" etc.
Well to be fair, the problem is not with elektron, the problem is with the buyer not understanding what they are buying.
Analog RTM is a drum machine
Analog 4 is a Synth
Octatrack is a sampler and sequencer.
It only takes about 10 minutes of research to find out what does what....... Elektron clearly stated that none of the Analog machines would be capable of midi sequencing.
All the device send midi clock though.
So essentially, if your friend wanted a sequencer, he probably should have bought one, then he would have been "buying right".
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Huck Farper wrote:
They're great at omitting features these days that would normally have been included (silver boxes)...

Personally think this box is more attractive than the AR by a lot. I don't like performance pads at all and outside of a nice Kick, the AR doesn't do much for me.
Well the thing is, the sequencers on the old silver boxes are actually completely different animals to the new analog machines. That is why they do a lot of stuff that the old boxes couldn`t, in internal sequencing terms, and are more complex. The sequencers are actually separate to the midi clock within the machines, it had to be this way for the new features they added, which is why the midi clock is constant in the machines, and don`t restart when you press play, something to do with internal CV which is the bases of the new sequencers. It is literally not possible for them to send midi data, it`s not like it was disabled.
New Shit

Huck Farper
Alf Garnett

Post by Huck Farper »

meh, technical details aside, external sequencing is not included and it's a shame

borg
Lifer

Post by borg »

Wanting an OT for some time now, still want it after seeing this.
Andy
the lunatics are in the hall...

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

borg wrote:Wanting an OT for some time now, still want it after seeing this.
Yeah, I`ve gone through the entire range of Elektron boxes in my studio, bought and sold over time, the only one I kept was the Octa (though I do have the A4, it was my most recent purchase). It`s a beast, but not as hard to use as people say, it`s just really deep. Sequencer is great too for external shenanigans. It`s just a very useful studio tool.
I was hoping elektron might do some kind of granular sample synthesis type thing so this new box is a little disappointing.

So done with the analog revival now, I want new, future tech, no regurgitation.
New Shit

Huck Farper
Alf Garnett

Post by Huck Farper »

the new age of digital is now

let's duit

Belka
Wastedddd

Post by Belka »

When im going to buy stuff for myself I reading tons of millions of stuff before, and mostly iam going with the opinion that a User/Customer has to inform themselve before spending their money but not in this case. The Device offers an Midi IN OUT and in the Manual under Sequenzer or MIDI theres nothing to find that says the Sequenzer does not deliver MIDI Sends and only the Pads does.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Belka wrote:When im going to buy stuff for myself I reading tons of millions of stuff before, and mostly iam going with the opinion that a User/Customer has to inform themselve before spending their money but not in this case. The Device offers an Midi IN OUT and in the Manual under Sequenzer or MIDI theres nothing to find that says the Sequenzer does not deliver MIDI Sends and only the Pads does.

there is a lot it doesn`t do that they don`t put in the manual.
For instance, it does not make you a cup of tea, but they did not put this in the manual. Cause for complaint?
New Shit

buffered
Freestyler

Post by buffered »

Lost to the Void wrote:
borg wrote:Wanting an OT for some time now, still want it after seeing this.
Yeah, I`ve gone through the entire range of Elektron boxes in my studio, bought and sold over time, the only one I kept was the Octa (though I do have the A4, it was my most recent purchase). It`s a beast, but not as hard to use as people say, it`s just really deep. Sequencer is great too for external shenanigans. It`s just a very useful studio tool.
I was hoping elektron might do some kind of granular sample synthesis type thing so this new box is a little disappointing.

So done with the analog revival now, I want new, future tech, no regurgitation.
agree, the OT is a great tool and the whole reputation of being hard to use has been blown out of proportion and perpetuated. Over time the ot becomes almost like a guitar in the way you play it.
Anyway this new box may have granular capability implemented in future os iterations, though at the price....it may be a long shot.

What would be amazing is an elektron box with pc patch editor along the lines of nord modular where user can code/patch machines and load them into the boxes machine slots. This pared with the elektron sequencer and hardware would be excellent.

kind of a user friendly discrete channel version of this
http://monome.org/aleph/

Mslwte
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mslwte »

im interested to hear this thing in action. a sample based digital drum machine is quite appealling to me. im quite tempted by analog heat as well, that would be a nice pairing.
https://soundcloud.com/mslwte
https://noizefacilityrecords.bandcamp.com
https://www.instagram.com/subsekt909
https://www.facebook.com/subsekt909/
Lost to the Void wrote:Fuck off, get some tequila down ya neck and make some noise you cunt....

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

Heat is still on my list too. Its just a hassle atm as other stuff has priority.

Huck Farper
Alf Garnett

Post by Huck Farper »

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

https://www.elektron.se/digitakt/

It's next to the Rytm in the menu, not next to the Octatrack.

Will it have synth engines after all? Or will the "synthesis" be based on the recorded samples, like what the mduw does.

Mono-xID
Uumfääng

Post by Mono-xID »

NO synth engine, Digitakt is sample based.
http://soundcloud.com/monoxid

Behringer = ARTS label of synths

gedda
Metric Martyr

Post by gedda »

I'm really considering selling my Maschine for this.

PixelKind
who is it?

Post by PixelKind »