New Korg Monologue

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
arkos
Re: New Korg Monologue

Post by arkos »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Read my posts.
I don`t want to build an instrument, I want one designed coherently to be an Instrument. Something complete and well thought out by, well, the people who should be doing this, instrument makers. So that I can use it and abuse it and learn it inside and out.
Modular is a shit shoot, wtf do you as a musician know about making fucking instruments? this is why so many people are constantly buying and selling modules.

No my time is best spent making music with instruments, not building instruments.
And I especially don`t want the aesthetic nightmare of fucking minijack cables all over the place.

It`s nice when an instrument also looks sexy rather than like a telephone exchange box on a street corner that someone has torn open.
Well I did read it and to me you are asking for a brand new type of synth and instead of waiting for when or if someone builds it, I was only suggesting it might be faster to do it yourself :D
But I see your point about the patching/cables/building shit and all that but you know I was mainly just messing with you knowing how modular synths are dear to your heart :D

arkos

Post by arkos »

collide wrote:
Concerning the modular stuff. If anyone want to throw money out of the window... fine... do it. I will not and I do not even see a point in going modular. To me it seem more like who got the biggest car or dick. It has always been this way.

Three artists I have deepest respect for did release an album created on modular gear this year. Surgeon, Venetian Snares, Datachi. All three albums suck IMO.
There are other options like semi modulars. Tiny little boxes with huge sound and quite the sound palette, I really wanted a small synth to get away from the computer from time to time and this little box is all I have space for atm Make Noise 0-Coast, wicked little synth.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

arkos wrote:
Lost to the Void wrote:
Read my posts.
I don`t want to build an instrument, I want one designed coherently to be an Instrument. Something complete and well thought out by, well, the people who should be doing this, instrument makers. So that I can use it and abuse it and learn it inside and out.
Modular is a shit shoot, wtf do you as a musician know about making fucking instruments? this is why so many people are constantly buying and selling modules.

No my time is best spent making music with instruments, not building instruments.
And I especially don`t want the aesthetic nightmare of fucking minijack cables all over the place.

It`s nice when an instrument also looks sexy rather than like a telephone exchange box on a street corner that someone has torn open.
Well I did read it and to me you are asking for a brand new type of synth and instead of waiting for when or if someone builds it, I was only suggesting it might be faster to do it yourself :D
But I see your point about the patching/cables/building shit and all that but you know I was mainly just messing with you knowing how modular synths are dear to your heart :D

Yeah, I'm just being hyperbolic as always.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

RWise
durchfall

Post by RWise »

I have the Minilogue which i love.

To be honest, i would say its more worth it saving up the other 170 or so and get the mini. Unless you are too eager to make a track with Aphex Twins patches...
Dont take life so seriously :mrgreen:

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Anyone know yet or would like to guesstimate whether mono patches can be done on the mini?
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB

theor
tense

Post by theor »

To me, they can. Also the mini has two mono modes :
- in Mono, the extra 3 voices act as sub oscillators (two osc one octave below, one osc two octaves below), with the voice mode depth knob to control it
- in Unison, the 4 voices are stacked together and the voice depth knob adjusts the detune

The mono lacks those features so I expect its bass to lack some oomph compared to the mini.

theor
tense

Post by theor »

Additionally, the mini can do some lovely FM basses (and FM leads), the mono can't as it has no cross-mod.

Also:
The mono can sync or ring mod the 2 VCOs, but not do both at the same time unlike the mini
Noise is not external to the VCOs but linked to VCO2, so it effectively kills a VCO when used
VCO2 can't do square wave
There's no pitch control on VCO1, and not pitch EG intensity
The filter is 16dB instead of 2/4 poles (12/24dB)
There's no real ADSR
No analog delay (or any effect)

In the end it looks like Korn cut quite a few corners to lower the price, it'd be missleading to see the Monologue just as a monophonic Minilogue. It's quite more limited.

Huck Farper
Alf Garnett

Post by Huck Farper »

I give it 6 months before Void is building a modular system.. I remember his thoughts on Elektron boxes and hardware in general a few months ago, how many you have now? lol :)

ozias_leduc
ANAL

Post by ozias_leduc »

just build a modular system, and glue the patch cables in.. voila!

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Huck Farper wrote:I give it 6 months before Void is building a modular system.. I remember his thoughts on Elektron boxes and hardware in general a few months ago, how many you have now? lol :)
I have 2. I bought the octatrack about 3 years ago. A4 last year.
And my opinion on them hasn't changed.
I still struggle to switch them on. Probably released about 3 tracks that use them. Was supposed to be out playing live with them all year, cancelled all my gigs to "work on new material" and still "working on new material" and panicking over upcoming gigs as the 6 months off didnt lead to anything.
I still have my first synth, my Juno 106 bought in the 80's when they came out, lots of hardware I have collected over the years. Most of it is sitting in the eaves of our new house, getting cold.

Got introduced to modular by Makaton at his studio about 3 years ago when he tried to convert me. Opinion on them has not changed either, was more impressed with his Ems synthi, which I would give my left nut to own.
Dabbled with the idea of getting some 500 series gear for the mastering studio (does that count as modular?).
New Shit

Huck Farper
Alf Garnett

Post by Huck Farper »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Huck Farper wrote:I give it 6 months before Void is building a modular system.. I remember his thoughts on Elektron boxes and hardware in general a few months ago, how many you have now? lol :)
I still struggle to switch them on. Probably released about 3 tracks that use them. Was supposed to be out playing live with them all year, cancelled all my gigs to "work on new material" and still "working on new material" and panicking over upcoming gigs as the 6 months off didnt lead to anything.
I still have my first synth, my Juno 106 bought in the 80's when they came out, lots of hardware I have collected over the years. Most of it is sitting in the eaves of our new house, getting cold.

Got introduced to modular by Makaton at his studio about 3 years ago when he tried to convert me. Opinion on them has not changed either, was more impressed with his Ems synthi, which I would give my left nut to own.
Dabbled with the idea of getting some 500 series gear for the mastering studio (does that count as modular?).

Nice man. I feel the same basically about Elektron boxes. I love them but struggled to turn them on.

I liked the Octatrack the most of all their machines, but I still feel it's going backwards when compared to Ableton.

I'm happy to keep the machinedrum.. if they make an Octa 2 with overbridge, I'll probably get one.

Ems synthi?? my damn.. I don't blame you there, drool.

Hope you get things sorted for your live sets, would love to hear what you can do - whatever the medium.

buffered
Freestyler

Post by buffered »

the ot for controlling other gear is really enjoyable to use especially with the polyrhythmic capabilities. With audio i find myself using it for mainly the odd percussive sound. If it had seperate outs even in the way the new tr09 does with 4 channel USB it'd be amazing. I hate how you get bottlenecked workflow wise if you decide to record the 8 seperate channels.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Huck Farper wrote:
Lost to the Void wrote:

Nice man. I feel the same basically about Elektron boxes. I love them but struggled to turn them on.

I liked the Octatrack the most of all their machines, but I still feel it's going backwards when compared to Ableton.

I'm happy to keep the machinedrum.. if they make an Octa 2 with overbridge, I'll probably get one.

Ems synthi?? my damn.. I don't blame you there, drool.

Hope you get things sorted for your live sets, would love to hear what you can do - whatever the medium.
How could any hardware compare to ableton in terms of sampling?
The octa is a great great sampler, but when it comes to production, for sampling you cannot beat ITB. Octa with overbridge kinda wouldn't make sense really, why not just use the computer?
Elektron stuff Is great, that's not my issue really.

My issue is not completely the fault of hardware tbh. Part of my problem is I'm not hugely interested in gigs now. Unless it is somewhere special, or with friends or associates I like to work with I don't get hugely excited, which is no way to be, so the motivation to use my gear, which is basically only for live use is hard to get going. So it is probable my procrastination is an excuse to not take bookings.
Making music and creating is much more... creatively satisfying to me than the temporary ego boost of playing at a club.
I've recently got back in touch with my old partner in crime from the rave years and he seems to be relatively stable (he is/was a bona fide psycho/sociopath) , and seeing as a lot of parties are so generic these days we are teasing each other with the idea of cracking some buildings and doing some raves.

So yeah.

My God the ems synthi I though.
It is the best synth I have ever heard.
No matter how much fuckery you do with it, it always sounds great, just an amazing rich and complex sound. And with complex routing (and no fucking ugly patch cables), and a unique architecture it has huge potential.
Why more synths aren't made with this architecture I don't know. It's either West coast or east coast. But the EMS paradigm is something different.

Easily worth the 3 grand. Not worth the 8 year wait to get on made though.
If one came up second hand I would buy it straight away, even pay over the odds for it.
New Shit

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

buffered wrote:the ot for controlling other gear is really enjoyable to use especially with the polyrhythmic capabilities. With audio i find myself using it for mainly the odd percussive sound. If it had seperate outs even in the way the new tr09 does with 4 channel USB it'd be amazing. I hate how you get bottlenecked workflow wise if you decide to record the 8 seperate channels.
Yeah 8 outs would be nice. I can cope with just the 4, for live use it sorta makes sense.
If you record multitrack multipass then amount of outputs doesn't matter so much.
New Shit

buffered
Freestyler

Post by buffered »

Lost to the Void wrote:
My God the ems synthi I though.
It is the best synth I have ever heard.
yeah had a few hours play with the Putney vcs3 recently. a labrynth of sound. amazing

sergiobR1
Wastedddd

Post by sergiobR1 »

RWise wrote:I have the Minilogue which i love.

To be honest, i would say its more worth it saving up the other 170 or so and get the mini. Unless you are too eager to make a track with Aphex Twins patches...
No, actually the korg idea was to own both.

Monologue has 16 individual step sequencer for a dynamic motion sequence.
LFO is stronger and faster.
Filter is BRUTAL and has more presence.

Minilogue has a very nice CLEAN filter.
And the LFO is slower than monologue.

So.... Monologue = BASS and monophony. Minilogue = pads, chords, Crystal-like arp etc.

I think u can reach a good bass out of minilogue tho, but u won't have the epic analog filter or the LFO rate from monologue
we speak of art with flaming passion
then do work void of compassion
and wonder why reality is bleeding fiction