Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
NAO
Suspect Handshake
Korg Monologue

Post by NAO »

So.. the cheap analogue mono synth trend isn't dead. This is just out:

http://www.korg.com/us/products/synthesizers/monologue/

$300

- Analog synthesizer with all-new synthesis structure optimized for amazing monophonic sounds and sequences
- Fully programmable, with 100 program memories (80 presets included)
- 16-step sequencer with extensive motion sequence technology to make your sound move
- Microtuning lets you freely create scales and alternate tonalities
- Oscilloscope function helps visualize the waveform in real time
- Battery-powered for portability
- Rugged and stylish with aluminum top panel, chassis-mounted pots, rubber-coated knobs, and real wood back panel
- MIDI, USB MIDI, and Audio Sync for all types of in-studio and live connectivity, including direct sync with minilogue, SQ1, volca, electribe, and more
- Five color variations that will shine on stage or in the studio

msl
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
New Korg Monologue

Post by msl »

Pretty fucking sweet for €299 suggested retail... obviously going up against Arturia MiniBrute...

youtu.be/Xv63ZWFfZf0

youtu.be/PEM7E980H-k

www.bernadettetrax.bandcamp.com
www.soundcloud.com/michaellovatt

“Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.” Dune

remykruyer
BAD
Re: New Korg Monologue

Post by remykruyer »

Really curious about this one! Could be my next studio add :)

msl
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Re: Korg Monologue

Post by msl »

Ah shit didn't see this and made a new thread!
www.bernadettetrax.bandcamp.com
www.soundcloud.com/michaellovatt

“Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.” Dune

Mono-xID
Uumfääng

Post by Mono-xID »

Boring...how many mono synths mankind needs ???
http://soundcloud.com/monoxid

Behringer = ARTS label of synths

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Mono-xID wrote:Boring...how many mono synths mankind needs ???
This times a million.

All these companies do it because it is a cheap way for someone to say "I own anal logs now!"

But yeah, enough already.

At least it is dual osc and it looks pretty for Facebook photos of "next release is done, spent a whole hour on it"

It'll be great for the next 30,000 mash-fingers-on-keys-with-arpeggiator-and-kick-hi_hat-combo releases that come out over the next year.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

theor
tense

Post by theor »

Mono-xID wrote:Boring...how many mono synths mankind needs ???
Competition is what drives the market forward. It's cheaper than a BSII, and if it sounds as good as a monophonic Minilogue, it should sell well. I'd consider buying it if I didn't already have the ML. :)

theor
tense

Post by theor »

More info about it was published this morning by AudioFanzine (in French):
http://fr.audiofanzine.com/synthe-analo ... 34537.html

Google Translation with a few corrections:
The monologue was a surprise that Korg had in store for us in this November 1. A portable monophonic analog synth complete with a step sequencer, which comes in five colors and can generate both bass lines that leads or percussive sequences. Here are the specifications:

Keyboard 25 velocity sensitive keys (same as on Minilogue and MS-20 Mini ), with a range of notes from E-E (Mi-Mi)
New synthesis of structure-based circuitry and fully programmable Minilogue
100 memories for programs, 80 presets already included
VCO 2 with waveforms sawtooth, triangle, square (VCO1), noise (VCO2), Shape, Sync / Ring (VCO2) and Pitch (VCO2) and mixing the two oscillators
VCF 1 with a two-pole filter, cutoff and resonance
1 AD type envelope generator, AGD and G with attack, decay, Int, and targets Pitch, Pitch 2 and Break
LFO 1 ultra-fast, with one-shot mode which allows use as an additional envelope waveforms sawtooth, square and triangle, Rate, and Target Int Pitch, Shape and Cut
New casing section
overdrive circuit to add harmonics and sound distortion
Sequencer 16 steps with Motion Sequence technology to change the sound (records up to 4 movements of knobs) and create complex sequences with real-time recording or not and overdub
Trigger function to start a sequence by pressing a key, with transposition
Slide function to produce bass lines specifying the portamento for each step
Micro tuning ranges to create and enjoy alternative tones, with integrated memory and 12 user memory locations; compatible MIDI Tuning Standard 3Byte messages
Oscilloscope to see the waveform in real time on the OLED display
A function knob: 23 controls and a slider able to control different settings for each program
MIDI input and output DIN 5 records
USB MIDI for using the Monologue as a controller (type B connector)
Sync input and output mini-jacks 3.5 mm to connect the Korg Volca Monologue, Electribe, Minilogue and SQ-1
jack headphone output 6.35 mm
Mono line output jack 6.35 mm
mono audio input jack 6.35mm
Supply 9V DC power or optional 6 AA batteries (between 6 and 8 hours of battery life)
aluminum control panel, wood back
Available colors: Silver, Black, Red, Dark Blue and Gold
Dimensions: 350 x 276 x 76 mm
Weight: 1.7 kg

The Monologue will soon be accompanied by a software library which allows you to manage all data from your programs.
The synthesizer will be available in December at the price of € 299 incl. You will find complete information about http://www.korg.com .
I wonder if the VCOs will be the same than in the ML. They don't have to be as sharp and precise in a mono, so it could allow some fatter sounds for those who're looking for that. Same for the filter, it could be a new model. The waveshaping, motion sequencing and microtuning are also a plus compared to the BSII.

theor
tense

Post by theor »

First Youtube review! (EN)

youtu.be/PEM7E980H-k

theor
tense

Post by theor »

TimBuys
happy bastard

Post by TimBuys »

Some of the presets are designed by Aphex Twin, that's pretty cool I guess.

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

Yeah its an other mono, but who cares. That only means that the compitition will drive the price/value ratio towards our liking.

Who knows maybe in a few years time you will get something for your money that we couldnt think of now.

Besides I'd rather have the "next gen" of bedroom producers buy cheap mono's than crack ableton, samples and other plugins

I dont know whats to hate lately, I mean from what I've heard you had to save some serious money for stuff like this years ago.

The saturation of music is already a fact, we all know that. So the companies reply.

Markus Wolf
reverse genius

Post by Markus Wolf »

Im wondering if this has the same clicking sound/issue that the minilogue has. If so im not interested. Pretty big issue if youre bass line is clicking like a bitch.

PixelKind
who is it?

Post by PixelKind »

Alume wrote:Yeah its an other mono, but who cares. That only means that the compitition will drive the price/value ratio towards our liking.

Who knows maybe in a few years time you will get something for your money that we couldnt think of now.

Besides I'd rather have the "next gen" of bedroom producers buy cheap mono's than crack ableton, samples and other plugins

I dont know whats to hate lately, I mean from what I've heard you had to save some serious money for stuff like this years ago.

The saturation of music is already a fact, we all know that. So the companies reply.
I agree. And I like the sound of it. Good competition to the MicroBrute. But for me I'd rather safe another 200$ and go for the MiniLogue. More value for money

Markus Wolf
reverse genius

Post by Markus Wolf »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DsJTka ... e=youtu.be

Some of the clicking issue explained....

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Good old nick blatt talks about the clicking issue (that happens in MONO mode) at 2:50 and shows a simple solve.

not really a huge problem then.

youtu.be/eR1PrKfUvsQ

I sat with one for a couple of hours and didn`t really encounter the clicking, though admittedly I didn`t use it very much in mono mode.

Not enough of an issue to stop me buying one anyway.
New Shit

Markus Wolf
reverse genius

Post by Markus Wolf »

Lost to the Void wrote:Good old nick blatt talks about the clicking issue (that happens in MONO mode) at 2:50 and shows a simple solve.

not really a huge problem then.

youtu.be/eR1PrKfUvsQ

I sat with one for a couple of hours and didn`t really encounter the clicking, though admittedly I didn`t use it very much in mono mode.

Not enough of an issue to stop me buying one anyway.
Nice find, I didnt see the fix only saw the click vids. Did you end up buying......Whats the bass like on it...

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

No I`m getting it next month, bass was great, you can get quite nice thick and sludgy percussive bass lines, though I`m not getting it for bass.
New Shit

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

I'm looking forward to watching these vids. Don't think I need any more monosynthz right now.. but i do think it's great that all this stuff is so accessible. You have to walk before you can run.

Also.. it's nice that they're new, covered by a warranty & are in a price range that doesn't require you to sell a testicle.

@Steve.. Really interested - what features / type of synthesis are you looking for when you get disappointed by the release of another subtractive synth. Would it be possible to make what you'd like at an affordable price do you think? Is there an existing synth or bit of software that comes close?
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Críoch wrote: @Steve.. Really interested - what features / type of synthesis are you looking for when you get disappointed by the release of another subtractive synth. Would it be possible to make what you'd like at an affordable price do you think? Is there an existing synth or bit of software that comes close?
I don`t want another subtractive synth is the issue. It`s just variations on the same thing again and again and again.
Standard analog envelopes and signal generation has been done to death now so I would like something completely new. Maybe some basis in Granular/FM hybrid with some kind of analog in there too. A genuine hybrid, something that can generate acousmatic sound, where you don`t know what is making the noise, rather than "oh that`s a synth, sawtooth, hi passed" etc.
There are some interesting new types of signal generation in modular world, but I don`t want to build my own synth and fart about with little shitty cables for hours, I`m a musician not an instrument maker. It would be nice to see some of these new advances from both software and modular world make it in to some cohesive, new and complete instruments.

The Hartmann Neuron, for example, was awesome but came out way ahead of it`s time to really generate traction.

Could it be done affordably? I`m sure it could in todays global market.

We are held back by all the mouth breathing idiots still fawning over 909`s and 303`s and other old shit.
New Shit