New Korg Monologue

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
dubdub
Asphyxiwank
Re: New Korg Monologue

Post by dubdub »

I think the issue is that most of the people who are really into innovative/cutting edge synthesis went fully ITB a long time ago. Or, if they prefer hardware, they're into modular now since it offers unlimited tweakability. So a large percentage of the people who would be interested in that kind of dedicated hardware synth aren't going to buy it since it's not their "format" anymore.

PixelKind
who is it?

Post by PixelKind »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Críoch wrote: @Steve.. Really interested - what features / type of synthesis are you looking for when you get disappointed by the release of another subtractive synth. Would it be possible to make what you'd like at an affordable price do you think? Is there an existing synth or bit of software that comes close?
I don`t want another subtractive synth is the issue. It`s just variations on the same thing again and again and again.
Standard analog envelopes and signal generation has been done to death now so I would like something completely new. Maybe some basis in Granular/FM hybrid with some kind of analog in there too. A genuine hybrid, something that can generate acousmatic sound, where you don`t know what is making the noise, rather than "oh that`s a synth, sawtooth, hi passed" etc.
There are some interesting new types of signal generation in modular world, but I don`t want to build my own synth and fart about with little shitty cables for hours, I`m a musician not an instrument maker. It would be nice to see some of these new advances from both software and modular world make it in to some cohesive, new and complete instruments.

The Hartmann Neuron, for example, was awesome but came out way ahead of it`s time to really generate traction.

Could it be done affordably? I`m sure it could in todays global market.

We are held back by all the mouth breathing idiots still fawning over 909`s and 303`s and other old shit.
Maybe the Lyra-8 would be interesting to you

youtu.be/krQGkPufZHs

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Yeah that is nice, more of a drone synth though, and there are a ton of them in the custom world.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

WOLF!
Grand

Post by WOLF! »

Monosynths are great but I don't get those mini keys... .
If format is the problem then build a module ffs (and I don't mean Boutique module format).
I still prefer the BS2 if you want a new and cheap monosynth.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Hard to beat Dreadbox erebus really. The oscillators sound so damn nice.
New Shit

PixelKind
who is it?

Post by PixelKind »

Yeah the Dreadbox stuff is really nice

collide
Smore

Post by collide »

I would be prefer the Korg Monologue over Arturia Mirco/Minibrute any time.
I think the Monologue will sound a bit different compared to the Minilogue especially the filter.
My favorite Monosynth in this pricetag still is the BSII.

The_G
Artificial Hazard

Post by The_G »

Markus Wolf wrote:Im wondering if this has the same clicking sound/issue that the minilogue has. If so im not interested. Pretty big issue if youre bass line is clicking like a bitch.
The clicking is not a big deal. You just adjust the attack and release on the envelope until its gone. (And also set portamento from "off" to 0.) Then put attack and release back where you want them and...boom. Gone.

A bit of a pain in the ass, but but really a big deal in the end.

buffered
Freestyler

Post by buffered »

boomstars are nice

WOLF!
Grand

Post by WOLF! »

The_G wrote:
Markus Wolf wrote:Im wondering if this has the same clicking sound/issue that the minilogue has. If so im not interested. Pretty big issue if youre bass line is clicking like a bitch.
The clicking is not a big deal. You just adjust the attack and release on the envelope until its gone. (And also set portamento from "off" to 0.) Then put attack and release back where you want them and...boom. Gone.

A bit of a pain in the ass, but but really a big deal in the end.
So the 'fix' is to slow down the envelopes? That's just lame. A good synth has quick snappy envelopes. Are the envelopes quick enough with that workaround?

theor
tense

Post by theor »

The fix is to update the firmware to any version above v1.11, which was released in march and fixes the clicking problem.

Can't hear any click on my ML by the way, even with a fast attack and release, and low cutoff.

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

@Steve.. so, would some kinda synth/megasampler with fm / lots of lfo modulation / time stretching be what you are looking for?
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Críoch wrote:@Steve.. so, would some kinda synth/megasampler with fm / lots of lfo modulation / time stretching be what you are looking for?
Not a sampler no, I have a sampler, though some kind of granular sampling would be nice I suppose. Just a synth with a new architecture, something progressive, something, you know, NEW, a new way of producing sounds with new potential for experimentation. Taking some of the interesting things from modular world and making instruments out of it (polyphonically and conherently).
New Shit

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

theor wrote:The fix is to update the firmware to any version above v1.11, which was released in march and fixes the clicking problem.

Can't hear any click on my ML by the way, even with a fast attack and release, and low cutoff.
Oh yeah, just checked this out, problem solved. Nice.
New Shit

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Anyway, this Monologue does sound nice. This and the BS2 are by far the best mono`s for price. The minibrute having only one VCO stopped it from getting really phat.
But yeah, how many more mono`s will be getting released?
New Shit

arkos

Post by arkos »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Críoch wrote:@Steve.. so, would some kinda synth/megasampler with fm / lots of lfo modulation / time stretching be what you are looking for?
Not a sampler no, I have a sampler, though some kind of granular sampling would be nice I suppose. Just a synth with a new architecture, something progressive, something, you know, NEW, a new way of producing sounds with new potential for experimentation. Taking some of the interesting things from modular world and making instruments out of it (polyphonically and conherently).
That already exists in your favorite synthesizer format, modular :D

You can pick and chose from some crazy stuff these days. Wish I had the space I'd be all over those Mutable Instruments modules.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

arkos wrote:
Lost to the Void wrote:
That already exists in your favorite synthesizer format, modular :D

You can pick and chose from some crazy stuff these days. Wish I had the space I'd be all over those Mutable Instruments modules.

Read my posts.
I don`t want to build an instrument, I want one designed coherently to be an Instrument. Something complete and well thought out by, well, the people who should be doing this, instrument makers. So that I can use it and abuse it and learn it inside and out.
Modular is a shit shoot, wtf do you as a musician know about making fucking instruments? this is why so many people are constantly buying and selling modules.

No my time is best spent making music with instruments, not building instruments.
And I especially don`t want the aesthetic nightmare of fucking minijack cables all over the place.

It`s nice when an instrument also looks sexy rather than like a telephone exchange box on a street corner that someone has torn open.
New Shit

collide
Smore

Post by collide »

Why is the market flooded with monosynths? As someone said before, because people want to buy them. Nothing bad about it. Everything runs in circles, not only the loops in Ableton. The last wave of monosynth was at least 20 years ago. I think it's great that there are so many products on the market. In the end I don't need more than two of them.

Concerning the modular stuff. If anyone want to throw money out of the window... fine... do it. I will not and I do not even see a point in going modular. To me it seem more like who got the biggest car or dick. It has always been this way.

Three artists I have deepest respect for did release an album created on modular gear this year. Surgeon, Venetian Snares, Datachi. All three albums suck IMO.

I have not written much in english the last months - will take a bit of time to get fluent again.
Lost to the Void wrote:It`s nice when an instrument also looks sexy rather than like a telephone exchange box on a street corner that someone has torn open.
:lol:

Agreed.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Korg MOANalogue.
New Shit

TimBuys
happy bastard

Post by TimBuys »

The sound demos are on the Korg soundcloud page: https://soundcloud.com/korg. Sounds nice.