Volcas

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
HankLW
Interact. Don't Spam.
Volcas

Post by HankLW »

The volca kick is just out. Whats everyones thoughts on it?

What are your thoughts on the volca range for live performance.
I use volcas currently to perform live while mixing in vinyl as a texture.

nomadjames
mummy!!
Re: Volcas

Post by nomadjames »

Man, you read my mind!!! I was just going to post on here asking about the Volca Kick. I think I read somewhere that Porc has one and is using it. Would really like to know more about it and what are some good things to run it through to record it.
www.soundcloud.com/nomadjames

"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over." - Hunter S. Thompson

www.nomadjames.com

Pittsburgh Ableton
www.facebook.com/groups/558333351022659

HankLW
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by HankLW »

My plan is to use it live. Get distortion from the mixer, have control over the distortion tone with the eqs and then run it through light plate reverb into a compressor.

It's really meant for a live performance rather than creating individual samples I believe. Having complete control over the sound of your kicks live would be so nice. The current volca range had a very limited capability kick wise

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Might be the first Volca I get, but I just can`t get over the fucking toy town build and Ant Man compatible nobs. I`m not sure just how usable this would be in the difficult environment of a club gig.
Just make a fucking normal sized Device already Korg!!!, not everyone wants to adjust their parameters with a set of sodding tweezers.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

nomadjames
mummy!!

Post by nomadjames »

Like one giant Volca composed of all the little Volcas...Volcatron?

"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over." - Hunter S. Thompson

www.nomadjames.com

Pittsburgh Ableton

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

My key turned out to be more than just a toy.

You can get some usable stuff out of it.

Sequencer is meh though.

msl
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█

Post by msl »

Haven't heard the kick yet, had the bass was pretty crappy. But the FM is really really nice, and no noise issues. Toy town build though as stated, grand if you have 'little' fingers. I'd be more into the Vermona Kick or Jomox Mbase.

www.bernadettetrax.bandcamp.com
www.soundcloud.com/michaellovatt

“Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.” Dune

buffered
Freestyler

Post by buffered »

sounds fine. pity it looks like a stylophone

daunzila
arsehole

Post by daunzila »

i use 2 volca bass and a keys on my small live setup, really simple and fun little machines, one dedicated to make sub bass going through the tr8 side chain compressor and another one more freely, good to make some 1 finger chords live, i loved the videos about the volca kick, sounds like something i coul easily incorporate here, maybe substitute the bass for the subs

They really tiny, but for me is a plus thing, transporting my setup has being a pain in the ass, if they are bigger ill be screwed to do this alone an even to make the setup fit on the spaces i had when i play out

nomadjames wrote:Man, you read my mind!!! I was just going to post on here asking about the Volca Kick. I think I read somewhere that Porc has one and is using it. Would really like to know more about it and what are some good things to run it through to record it.
Porc said some time ago in an intervew he was using the volca beats if i remember well
WTF?!

HankLW
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by HankLW »

I had the volca beats but found I couldnt get the sounds out of it or the chain that i wanted. Ive since resorted to a sampler, mainly to save me having to invest in compressors and filters.

The sampler works well live too, however, i would like a roland r70 or something not in the volca range for a sampler.

teknoandy
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by teknoandy »

I got the Keys,Sample and Bass in a nice desktop rack ... they all sync together and are fun, especially if u add some fx on a mixer to the bass or voice... i have found the Keys is really quite noisy though... but that's not so much of an issue if u gate the output..

What i found cool was, by using the Korg SyncKontrol app on an old iPhone 4s i could sync all the Volcas via Ableton Link to apps on my iPad, and to Ableton.. which is just awesome fun

The FM Volca looks like it would be a nice one to get..

nomadjames
mummy!!

Post by nomadjames »

Update: Got the kick. It pounds. I sync it to my monologue.

www.nomadjames.com

Pittsburgh Ableton

Plyphon
endless

Post by Plyphon »

Got any sounds?

buffered
Freestyler

Post by buffered »

dunno, is it just me or does any analogue kick just pound when treated right? I get a monster out of a 606 through some processing. Kind of feel all analogue percussion modules/boxes are samey.

nomadjames
mummy!!

Post by nomadjames »

Plyphon wrote:Got any sounds?
As soon as I have an opportunity I’ll record some and upload them for you guys. It knocks. Like rattle the windows knocks.

www.nomadjames.com

Pittsburgh Ableton

nomadjames
mummy!!

Post by nomadjames »

Interesting things is they recommend using TRS on the output, so you have two monos coming out...Parallel processing time.

www.nomadjames.com

Pittsburgh Ableton

nomadjames
mummy!!

Post by nomadjames »

I have no idea how it works lol. I’ve never used a volca. Have it synced to my Monologue via CV. First time I ever used CV, too.

www.nomadjames.com

Pittsburgh Ableton

Southpaw
quasi-public

Post by Southpaw »

You happy with the kick then? I picked up the sample a while back and then the FM - I like both of them, esp for the money. The Volca Sample I'm just using for the sound of it, I just like how things come back when you give it something pitched up +12 and then knock it back down to normal level in the Volca Sample. Still haven't had a huge amount of time with the FM but hadn't even considered the kick. Can't even recall checking out any demos either. Got me interested now though...

nomadjames
mummy!!

Post by nomadjames »

Southpaw

I am definitely happy with it. It pounds. With the Monologue and the Kick I have my low ends covered. I will up a recording in .WAV at some point, but not today. I got to work then drive a couple hours to pick up an MPC when I'm done.

I'm trying to find some stomp boxes to run the extra output through.

www.nomadjames.com

Pittsburgh Ableton

Southpaw
quasi-public

Post by Southpaw »

nomadjames wrote:Southpaw

I am definitely happy with it. It pounds. With the Monologue and the Kick I have my low ends covered. I will up a recording in .WAV at some point, but not today. I got to work then drive a couple hours to pick up an MPC when I'm done.

I'm trying to find some stomp boxes to run the extra output through.
Wicked, try to post something if you get the time, I'd love to hear some decent demos of it. 8-)
Deep House & Dub Techno Samples https://www.abitdeeper.com/