Volcas

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
Southpaw
quasi-public
Re: Volcas

Post by Southpaw »

I just read they have a firmware update for the sample which means you can effectively have per step automation like the Elektron stuff, is this on the kick ?
Deep House & Dub Techno Samples https://www.abitdeeper.com/

Victor
beast

Post by Victor »

Which one to get? :) Read the forum. Opting for Kick, FM and sampler. Have a coupon Id like to spend xD

juodas
Indirection

Post by juodas »

bought volcas 2.5years ago still don't use them, prefer operator, if anyone intereated in it i have bass and keys 160 all together

timc3
Back Bling

Post by timc3 »

I agree with Joudas, though they can be a fun toy (I have the Bass) and I have used it a bit but I would get the kick if I was to get it over again.

Fourty Two
No Avatar = Thick Bastard

Post by Fourty Two »

I had a chance to talk with tatsuya takahashi, guy behind volcas, monologue and more. Cool fella. He's quite happy with whole volca series, but after I told him that Digitone has two filters on top of each sounds his face went numb and he's like "damn, that's a good idea" 😀

He also explained how Korg comes up with products. It's either pushed from sales department, or R&D (so basically engineers, read as nerds) where you need to run around company to get approval from heaps of people to actually greenlight your project.

I also asked him if some product bombed before release and he said there was something with keyboard that took forever to get right but never saw light of day. One of the reasons was some particular problem with keyboard itself. Apparently as most manufacturers are making stuff in Asia, there are
just two companies that do injection molding of keyboards, along with sensors,etc. And none of them could meet their expectations. That's probably reason why Microbrute has such a abysmal keyboard, hehehe... Obviously I didn't wanted to push him to get more info about that (or because my massive hangover). It's interesting to hear this from other side of barricade from time to time.

Victor
beast

Post by Victor »

Haha, cool.

I've got a brand new FM and Kick in the mail earlier this week. Will test soon when I have time. I'm looking forward to use them as an input for a bunch of effects afterwards. Also I like to tweak and explore a bit with the kick and FM synthesis on a small scale synthesizer.

Stereomatic
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by Stereomatic »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QtYiDkeu6A

for anyone who's thinking of getting one. the kicks are good, but i love the way you can get melodies out of this little box.

what i typically do is randomly record the pitch knob and play with the "stepmode" and the "active steps" to get sequences, arps, melodies, whatever. as you can see in the video, you can get really weird and you kind of don't know what is going to happen if you change up the pattern in "stepmode" or "active steps" or re-record the pitch knob.

Ben Kohonays
Eclipsed

Post by Ben Kohonays »

I always thought the sample could be fun, but there's no way in hell I'm buying an apple device as well just so I can load my own samples.
0dd wrote: Gotta love the subsekt derail ethic.

alandg
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by alandg »

Ben Kohonays wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:36 am
I always thought the sample could be fun, but there's no way in hell I'm buying an apple device as well just so I can load my own samples.
There is a software that run on Windows, the bad things about volca sample are the limited 4x4 and the midi channels.

Ben Kohonays
Eclipsed

Post by Ben Kohonays »

Cool. I think I could live with those problems.
0dd wrote: Gotta love the subsekt derail ethic.

P0607r0n
Metric Martyr

Post by P0607r0n »

My gf got herself a "PO Speak", and wants to get "tonic". Those little operators seems more fun to use then volcas tbh. Specially the tonic, where u can load drum sounds made in microtonic vst.

Fourty Two
No Avatar = Thick Bastard

Post by Fourty Two »

I like the guy from Elektron put it the other day: "they're very fun to use. For and hour. Then you realise how limited they actually are and you're probably not going to use them ever again"

E.i. yeah, if you want, I could sell you mine, I got over it after an hour

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Limitations are not necessarily a bad thing.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Mslwte
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mslwte »

I thought the drum machine looked very useful and sounded decent.
https://soundcloud.com/mslwte
https://noizefacilityrecords.bandcamp.com
https://www.instagram.com/subsekt909
https://www.facebook.com/subsekt909/
Lost to the Void wrote:Fuck off, get some tequila down ya neck and make some noise you cunt....

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Kick was immense
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Mslwte wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:02 pm
I thought the drum machine looked very useful and sounded decent.
Yeah it sounds great to me.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

speen
unsure

Post by speen »

I have a volca beat and think it's pretty cool, it's just so damn hard to control

the slightest twist of a knob can completely change the sound of some of the instruments