Ayn recommendations on busget oldschool verb?

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
yentz
site spammer
Ayn recommendations on busget oldschool verb?

Post by yentz »

Well it happened again. After sucessfully selling nearly all hardware I was left with a minitaur and an A4 which now can do midi out. Bought an oto boum (awesome!!!) and building a heavilY modded rat clone (got the link of this ofrum) which ideally will be combined with a ssd2019 based preamp I build already and looking into doing 2 dbx 160a clones (1176 and other classics too expensive and I want stuff like negative ratios). Anyway are there any hardware FX units you can reeeeeecommend?
Had an alesis midiverb back in the days. Dont want to spend much.
Might get an s950 and I will be fine to jam without a pc.
any recommendations on cheap fx units are welcome. dont know all the other stuff of this period. dont need lexicon quality.

between stars
Onions
Re: Ayn recommendations on busget oldschool verb?

Post by between stars »

Sony MU-R201 which is also known as Ibanez SDR-1000. Sounds pretty cool imo, and has a built in EQ that is pre-reverb, which makes it surprisingly versatile.

Edit: To be a little more helpful: I find it feels nicely splashy and gritty on the top end in a very 90s-techno kind of way, which sounds great on electronic music to me. Regarding the EQ, I find rolling off tons of top end on the input EQ gives me some very huge, very 'warm' reverbs that are easy to mix with, provide the track has the room for it.

Jean Luc Cougar
quasi-public

Post by Jean Luc Cougar »

MidiVerb II packs a punch for the price.
Older Roland SRV units
I don’t love the verbs on the Ensoniq DP4 but some do
Cheaper / old Lexicon
Lots of people like the Strymon Bluesky
Eventide Blackhole

over9000
Nor Crystal Tears

Post by over9000 »

eventide blackhole is the reverb for me (i have it as plugin)
but its not for all purposes, as its really huge and warm
it can do many things though, great for sounddesign
but i just checked it out, as a box its 500

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

neunaber immerse, great price, stereo, really great sound, good selection of algorhythms.
The shimmer is to die for.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

quest
will fuck for food

Post by quest »

TC Electronic have some nice units but some say they’re better for live instruments than electronic.
Digitech TSR is also nice but mine freaks out sometimes, probably needs a new battery.
Also if you really want something not “nice” but oldschool and gritty I go for a Zoom 1201 which I like on Alt Rock background vox and weird stuff.

Nowadays for basic algos something like Altiverb gives you almost everything, but for character of signal chain Lexicon hardware probably still win out. Eventide rack hardware probably out of most people’s price range, I’ll have to see how many corners they cut on my bands’ guitarists new H9 to see if it any good. Another +1 for Strymon I only hear good thing about their pedals. Sure wish they made rack units but I get that the market just isn’t there anymore.