What headphones would you buy for £100-200ish ?

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
Plyphon
endless
What headphones would you buy for £100-200ish ?

Post by Plyphon »

Hello,

I've got some AKG-240 MKIIs but they're a bit cheap, the build is crappy plastic, and very simply I want something a bit more "lux". The sound is okay, but again feels a bit thin, I mean they were £70 right so whatever.

What would you buy today in the £100 to 200 price bracket? For strictly production, techno/house, usual thing.

In that bracket there are the:

DT-990 Pro
DT-880 Pro
ATH M50X
AIAIAI's - maybe, I think exchange rate has pushed them up :lol:

Anything I've missed? What would you buy today?

These will be my main production tool living in a houseshare. I have monitors for final mix, but day to day donks will be made on the cans. Open backs are fine, though.

Cheers

aliasweber
Unartful
Re: What headphones would you buy for £100-200ish ?

Post by aliasweber »

i've used the 250 ohm version of dt-990 pro for 2.5 years now and i really like the sound of them. really comfortable to use over time, both in terms of ear-fatigue and general head comfort. the consensus seems to be that the semi-closed 880s are better, but i'm sticking with my 990s.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

AKG K701. Best headphones I have had for production hands down. So good I own 2 pairs.
Very accurate, translate extremely well to real world.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

PixelKind
who is it?

Post by PixelKind »

Also very happy with my AKG K701. Very detailed sound and very comfortable even for longer sessions

Plyphon
endless

Post by Plyphon »

Lost to the Void wrote:AKG K701. Best headphones I have had for production hands down. So good I own 2 pairs.
Very accurate, translate extremely well to real world.
They at least look at lot better made than the K240MKII's. Thanks.

Its between those at the DT-990s - they do them in a "black edition" which I must admit appeals to me purely for shallow reasons...

PixelKind
who is it?

Post by PixelKind »

For the final decision its always good to go to a shop and compare them. Most music stores let you try out headphones

zukenbauer
You only live once

Post by zukenbauer »

PixelKind wrote:Also very happy with my AKG K701. Very detailed sound and very comfortable even for longer sessions
Same here. I bought them few months ago and i fcking love them.. great stereo image too!

Plyphon
endless

Post by Plyphon »

PixelKind wrote:For the final decision its always good to go to a shop and compare them. Most music stores let you try out headphones

There's a proper grungy music store near my so going to see if they have them in, if anywhere does it'll be there.

Though I see they do a K702 which apparently is exactly the same as a K701, just with a detachable cable and is black.

So might just plop for those.

Will Frances
Gnasher

Post by Will Frances »

zukenbauer wrote:
PixelKind wrote:Also very happy with my AKG K702. Very detailed sound and very comfortable even for longer sessions
Same here. I bought them few months ago and i fcking love them.. great stereo image too!

Same same, I like listening to horror movies or heavily sound designed films with them on as well as musical purposes...

Will Frances
Gnasher

Post by Will Frances »

Join all the majorly cool peeps and true audiophiles and get some Beats..

TimBuys
happy bastard

Post by TimBuys »

Can anyone comment on how much of an upgrade it would mean for me to get the AKG? I currently own Audio Technica ATH-M40x and the only problem I have had with these is that the bass seems to be boosted quite a bit.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

TimBuys wrote:Can anyone comment on how much of an upgrade it would mean for me to get the AKG? I currently own Audio Technica ATH-M40x and the only problem I have had with these is that the bass seems to be boosted quite a bit.
The difference would be you would be moving from a not flat, not really too accurate set of phones to ones that are accurate and pretty damn flat. Those ATH have a number of problems and inaccuracies in comparison.
New Shit

TimBuys
happy bastard

Post by TimBuys »

Thanks, I guess I feel kinda foolish for geting these since it seemed to be heavily recommended but I guess in hindsight that was more marketing than anything else. I will probably sell these off and get the AKG's (they only cost about 140 euro in dutch webshops which is not bad at all!).

Plyphon
endless

Post by Plyphon »

Can anyone comment around needing an amplifier with a Focusrite 2i2? Specific, I know.

My current headphones, K250 MKII are 55ohms and are driven fine. The K702's are 62omh. Should be good?

PixelKind
who is it?

Post by PixelKind »

Yeah that should be fine. I can use my K701s with a NI Traktor DJ2 interface without any problems. With the laptops internal interface or with my iphone they are not too loud but still ok. Eventually I wanna get a headphone amp to get the most out of them but they sound great without one already

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

TimBuys wrote:Thanks, I guess I feel kinda foolish for geting these since it seemed to be heavily recommended but I guess in hindsight that was more marketing than anything else. I will probably sell these off and get the AKG's (they only cost about 140 euro in dutch webshops which is not bad at all!).
I think for the price those ATH are ok. They really really went heavy with the marketing and tried to make them seem a lot better than they are, and I think was good enough that there was a lot of buzz around them. But yeah you can do better for your money.
New Shit

buffered
Freestyler

Post by buffered »

I'm really curious about the AKG K701 now. I've been a dt990 pro 250ohm user for years but have always felt the bass is a bit innacurate. too big and 'round.'
Anyone else have this view or experience of the dt990?

msl
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█

Post by msl »

Much prefer my K702s to my old DT880s, so much better imo.

ATH M50 are not suitable for mixing, way too much bass, but fun to listen to music and vibe on though, I use them as my dj phones.

www.bernadettetrax.bandcamp.com
www.soundcloud.com/michaellovatt

“Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.” Dune

arkos

Post by arkos »

buffered wrote:I'm really curious about the AKG K701 now. I've been a dt990 pro 250ohm user for years but have always felt the bass is a bit innacurate. too big and 'round.'
Anyone else have this view or experience of the dt990?
I have them and agree, way to much bass and hi's..... Only way I get them to translate well is to use Sonarworks..

Ohh and Audio Technica headphones, all hype imo. I have a older pair from them (Ath-40) and those are the worst headphones I've ever heard, consumer headphones from most brands piss all over them....

Barfunkel
Smalahove

Post by Barfunkel »

How comfy are the AKG 701's? I've used my friend's 240's a couple of times and they're impossible to use for prolonged periods.
"I don't shower every day, but when I do, I do it after listening to some Barfunkel" - Anonymous

http://soundcloud.com/user4904810
http://www.mixcloud.com/Barfunkel/