What headphones would you buy for £100-200ish ?

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
Mono-xID
Uumfääng
Re: What headphones would you buy for £100-200ish ?

Post by Mono-xID »

buffered wrote:
Mono-xID wrote: I'm used to DT 990's for sooooo long that I'd never gel with such honest phones.

Weird,I know.
in what capacity do you use the 990's? I've been using them for years but all this AKG and Focal talk has me thinking of new set.
I use them since 2009 on a nearly daily basis and know them inside out.
http://soundcloud.com/monoxid

Behringer = ARTS label of synths

CRDM
hmmmmmm...

Post by CRDM »

Have to thank those of you praising/recommending the 701/702,

My pair turned up in the post today, they are great, instantly felt like real quality sound, the clarity on them is incredible, very happy with them!

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Wait until they burn in :twisted:
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

yentz
site spammer

Post by yentz »

ordered a 702 as well. used k141 studio and sennheiser sd 25 so far. really looking forward to it :)

ekwipt
Smore

Post by ekwipt »

buffered
Freestyler

Post by buffered »

ekwipt wrote:These just popped up on Massdrop

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-sennheiser-hd6xx
do yourself a favour and stop looking at that massdrop site. generally these sort of editions are at a lower pricing due to some compromise. If you want AKG look at their tried and tested models. don't go buying some massdrop x whatever rubbish.

Plyphon
endless

Post by Plyphon »

Ffs all you getting your 702's before me - I gotta wait till the 18th unless im a good boy and get my birthday present early from the Mrs.

yentz
site spammer

Post by yentz »

just got mine. any diffenrences between (old) made in austria and (new) made in china?

Plyphon
endless

Post by Plyphon »

Bit annoyed - they've now gone up to £169 everywhere from £130 ish. Ah well.

yentz
site spammer

Post by yentz »

arranging the first track I made with them. Really pleased.
Probably skipping the room treatment for now and working with headphones mainly. It works really really well, the phones are comfy and I can use them on moderate volume settings.
Thanks for the tip!!!
Money well spent.

PixelKind
who is it?

Post by PixelKind »

I have them for about 4 years now and really like em but they will never replace listening with speakers. You should still get decent monitors. I use the AKGs for checking details that my speakers cant tell me. Yes, they are very comfy but I couldnt use em as a main production tool.

CubiK Mass
Alf Garnett

Post by CubiK Mass »

PixelKind wrote:I have them for about 4 years now and really like em but they will never replace listening with speakers. You should still get decent monitors. I use the AKGs for checking details that my speakers cant tell me. Yes, they are very comfy but I couldnt use em as a main production tool.
I can see how people could mix totally on a pair of decent AKG's but I'm with you, I use them as a cross reference to the Yamaha monitors I have, because my room ain't the best there is a little bass boom from the monitors but I'm use to it and just check in the headphones and the bass is ok.

buffered
Freestyler

Post by buffered »

just wondering if anyone has experience producing with Audeze headphones?

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

I demoed the lcd 2s during my great headphone hunt, had them for a week.
Very traditionally hifi in sound. Big bass (Albeit clear and punchy) good sharp transients but in no way are they flat. They didn't make it on to my final list when I was eliminating headphones. I'm not sure what iteration of the lcd2 I had, as there have been a few, but they were new models about 8 months ago.
Great listening cans, I wouldn't use em to produce though, way too gentle in the top end.
No idea what the even more expensive ones are like, but considering these were 800 or 900 quid I wasn't impressed. They are closer to a full range speaker experience than a nearfield monitor, but even so, too flattering imho.

If you are going for high tier price headphones you can do better for your money.
New Shit

CRDM
hmmmmmm...

Post by CRDM »

Plyphon wrote:Bit annoyed - they've now gone up to £169 everywhere from £130 ish. Ah well.

That is annoying, I got them q couple of weeks back for 132 at gear4music and now they're 169, wonder why they're so up and down...

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

701s are still around 124 quid. Only difference is that the cable is not detachable. Not an issue.
New Shit

Plyphon
endless

Post by Plyphon »

Maybe a new production run or something gearing up for the holiday season - who knows. Companies often try and control the market once prices dip too low as none of their resellers get any profit that way - only the ones who can buy in real bulk can make any money (Amazon...).

Anyway, life is too short to worry over £30 extra. Should be here this week.

Mslwte
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mslwte »

Lost to the Void wrote:701s are still around 124 quid. Only difference is that the cable is not detachable. Not an issue.
is it a straight cable or is it coiled? the only issue I have with the 240's (apart from not really liking how they sound) is that ive rolled over the cable so many times with the wheels on my chair, it has damaged it. ive been meaning to buy a coiled cable for ages but never got around to it. tbh though I think im going to just upgrade to the 702's
https://soundcloud.com/mslwte
https://noizefacilityrecords.bandcamp.com
https://www.instagram.com/subsekt909
https://www.facebook.com/subsekt909/
Lost to the Void wrote:Fuck off, get some tequila down ya neck and make some noise you cunt....

PixelKind
who is it?

Post by PixelKind »

Mslwte wrote:
Lost to the Void wrote:701s are still around 124 quid. Only difference is that the cable is not detachable. Not an issue.
is it a straight cable or is it coiled? the only issue I have with the 240's (apart from not really liking how they sound) is that ive rolled over the cable so many times with the wheels on my chair, it has damaged it. ive been meaning to buy a coiled cable for ages but never got around to it. tbh though I think im going to just upgrade to the 702's
Its a straight cable

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Just to throw a little spanner In the works.
The most accurate Earphones I have used are the Etymotic ER4. They are in ear monitors, hand calibrated to match the sound response of the human ear.
I have been using them for years and fancied a change so this is why I went in to my great headphone trials and got the akg 701s which were the closest thing to neutral.
Recently my missus broke my etymotics and bought me the latest updated set.
I've been using them again just to test em and they are amazing. Tighter with the transients than the akgs and you are more "inside" the music.
Now obviously not everyone can get on with in ear monitors, but as these are also noise isolating you end up listening at much lower levels and are better for your ears. You can also get custom ear inserts made for your ears, which changes everything.

Worth a try if you want the most accurate accurate that ever accurated.
New Shit