What headphones would you buy for £100-200ish ?

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
Jean Luc Cougar
quasi-public
Re: What headphones would you buy for £100-200ish ?

Post by Jean Luc Cougar »

A few thoughts on headphones I own:

Aiaiai - TMA: I got a pair of these free, upgraded them to the foam earpads, and I use them a lot most bc I have a dedicated hard case for them - but in all honesty, they are NOT good for producing, even when using Sonarworks. They simply don't have the deal. I basically use them for travel bc I have the case and with foam earpads they block a medium amount of sound (which is deal for me on the road). Also funny - mine have a logo on them and I am dying to get the right size stickers to cover them up.
AKG - K240: These are so cheap in America, there is no need not to have them as a reference pair. I find I get a solid balance a good amount of detail. The only thing that's hard is they are open back so I can't hear clearly when the air conditioner is on, my wife is watching TV, or on the road.
Beyerdynamic DT-880: These are what I use day to day bc of isolation and detail, what's interesting to me is how much they color the sound (comparing them on their own vs Sonarworks is night and day, specifically in terms of tightness on the highs)

Funnily, the headphones I trust the most for overall mix balance are Apple Earbuds. They don't have detail, but somehow I understand the frequency spectrum best with them.

zarkas
beast

Post by zarkas »

For anyone interested There is an offer in thomman, the akg k271 mkII for almost half the price at 88€, I just noticed. I think l ll stick with the 701 though, since it s the official subsekt set :D

splitcane
broke

Post by splitcane »

Are the new AKG K 701/702 sold at Thomann/etc. still great? I read some comment their quality having decreased after production been moved in China.

It's time to replace my old trusty ATH-M50 headphones (Can't remember when I bought them. 2013?) eventhough the only problem with them is the really worn out headband - I took new ear-paddings from some broken headset at work. The consistent choice would be just picking a new model from Audio-Technica, but reading others praising K701s really tempts me to try those.

Masari
sad bastard

Post by Masari »

splitcane wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:37 pm
Are the new AKG K 701/702 sold at Thomann/etc. still great? I read some comment their quality having decreased after production been moved in China.

It's time to replace my old trusty ATH-M50 headphones (Can't remember when I bought them. 2013?) eventhough the only problem with them is the really worn out headband - I took new ear-paddings from some broken headset at work. The consistent choice would be just picking a new model from Audio-Technica, but reading others praising K701s really tempts me to try those.
I m considering buying the AKG 701/702 aswell but ur statement about quality decrease makes me wait for some people opinions.
China :)
Or maybe i should go for an ol good beyerdynamic...

Macca
durchfall

Post by Macca »

I have the AKG 701's and I thought they were amazing when I first tried them. Found alot of stuff I couldnt hear properly through my monitors stood out like a sore thumb with these on. Id recommend them personally.
Instagram: @stevenmcfarlanedesign

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

I know only one person out of many who has had issues with AKG build quality since they moved manufacture to China, so no conclusive issues basically. There is a weird meme amongst synth twats about China. But basically china can be good or bad, it depends on the quality control, price etc.
If you buy a pair and do happen to have an issue...... Send them back.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Aureliano
BAD

Post by Aureliano »

Since it's related to this mega-thread I thought I'd post here:

How should you gain-stage a headphone amp? Should you try to hit the amp at 0vu/-18dbfs and then attenuate the amp's volume to the right level for your ears?

I googled my question but found no satisfying answer and there was no info in the Project Headbox manual.

Plyphon
endless

Post by Plyphon »

I have my Headbox at about 3/4 way and use the main volume knob on my Focsurite to control overall volume.

ekwipt
Smore

Post by ekwipt »

I couldn’t recommend the K701s to anyone, I’ve had the left ear crap out on me twice (once after repair) this time I’m going to crack it open and solder it myself. You can replace parts and undo them easy enough though

Plyphon
endless

Post by Plyphon »

What would people recommend for a closed back production headphone? Sometimes I'd like to not hear whatever my GF is watching on TV whilst trying to make doofs