Elektron DigiTone?

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
Jean Luc Cougar
quasi-public
Elektron DigiTone?

Post by Jean Luc Cougar »

I just did a search and somehow nothing came up. Anyone using one?

I’m was considering trying out a MonoMachine (again) but I’m wondering if I should be considering a DigiTone.

Ben Kohonays
Eclipsed
Re: Elektron DigiTone?

Post by Ben Kohonays »

http://www.subsekt.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... ne#p126072

http://www.subsekt.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... ne#p127589

Do you want this purely for FM synthesis?

The Digitone only does FM. The Monomachine does FM and a few other things. Both have a sequencer.
0dd wrote: Gotta love the subsekt derail ethic.

Jean Luc Cougar
quasi-public

Wow. Epic search fail.

I’m jonesing for an MnM for the “strange”, I have some nice analogs, so I want something weird without the rabbit hole of Euro.

I think I want the MnM, but I was just thinking maybe I should consider the DigiTone bc it’s newer and cleaner (my only FM is a TX81Z which I like but it’s not exactly clean)

Ben Kohonays
Eclipsed

Post by Ben Kohonays »

Well if it's strange you want....

All of the following should be available within the budget of a Digitone, or close enough.

Korg Prophecy is one of the last bargains available in vintage/2nd hand synths. Hugely capable with 7 different methods of synthesis, also a great controller. I tried to find the SoS review because if you read it you will think this is the greatest synth ever made lol, but it doesn't seem to be online at the moment. Most people are put off by the interface, but if you have a TX81z and have used Elektron gear you shouldn't find it a problem, plus there are editors available. Unfortunately only monophonic, but will send poly if you use it to control other synths.
However if you want a poly version, there's the

Korg Z1 considered a polyphonic Prophecy, it is also easier to edit with a larger amount of knobs. The Z1 is the other reason the Prophecy is still cheap, as people research and tend to go for the one with poly. There's some debate as to whether it's worth having both as some people think they sound different. Also still a bargain, but these will become expensive before the Prophecy does for the reasons listed above.

Yamaha EX5 is another digital oddball with 4 types of synthesis and sampling. Also available as a rackmount (EX5r) and has a smaller cousin, the EX7 which drops a couple of the synthesis methods of the EX5. The sampling option on these make them more interesting.

Ensoniq TS10/TS12 3 synthesis types with sample loading from Ensoniq samplers. The difference between the two is only in the keyboard. Interesting for the synthesis types available: Wavetable, Transwave and Hyperwave. Combined in the one machine make it one of the more unusual synths produced.

I hope you find this interesting/useful and I haven't just done your head in. :oops:

If you are going to seriously consider any of these machines, I strongly advise not just reading the links, but doing your own searches to find reviews and user experiences. These are old machines and while generally well built and intended for professionals to use, that doesn't mean that there are no quirks or faults. I haven't personally used all of the above machines so only provide this information to perhaps broaden your horizons a little. Happy hunting.
0dd wrote: Gotta love the subsekt derail ethic.

WOLF!
Grand

Post by WOLF! »

I haven't used a Digitone but it seems like a nice machine when you want some FM on stage for your live act.
In the past I've tried a Yamaha DX200 but that's more of a portable FM preset player.
Decent editing of patches is only possible via a editor so it's a no go for me.

About the TX81Z; there's a stereoping controller available for it, but I don't have any experience with that.

Jean Luc Cougar
quasi-public

@ Ben:
Thanks for the rundown, admittedly I hadn’t ever researched these, going to do so now.

I still may want a groove box but these seem like the kind of synths that I can find cheap used so I def was a good to be intormed.

@ Wolf:
I was considering the Stereoping, but the price puts me off TBH. Buying a $250 controller for a $60 synth seems weird. I’m using a Max4Live edit for now. My thinking is the DigiTone may be more fun, and I know the MonoMachine is (albeit with a slightly more obtuse interface / controls on the FM machine)

ross-alexander
endless

Post by ross-alexander »

I bought one in August. Personally I love it great purchase for me. Simple pros and cons.

Pros:

Sequencer is brilliant along with per step sound and fx settings you can do some great creative sequencing. 4 internal tracks but believe me you can write a track with those alone if you are creative with it.

Good sound and fx. Great for live usage. Can do everything from smooth to harsh, superb for sound effects. Lfo section is great which does make up a lot for the fairly simple envelope settings.

Can power this off a power bank took it on holiday and made an absolute ton of material.

Ease of usage.

Cons:

Only 4 op fm, for me that's not been an issue. More advanced envelopes on other fm synths (although the lfo section makes up for this and the parameter locking etc) and also soft synths. If you are expecting the grit of an old fm synth this is much cleaner.

Only 1 pair of outputs, still waiting for this overbridge that should allow multitracking to a daw. No sign yet.

For me way more pros than cons overall I love it.