Another mid budget monitor thread

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
InDefianceOfG
Interact. Don't Spam.
Re: Another mid budget monitor thread

Post by InDefianceOfG »

WOLF! wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 9:33 pm
The Gens had a build up of bass at the backside (to the wall). So when I moved around there was a huge difference in the lows.
The S8's are more constant in that region so I would say the low is more linear (when you move around!.
Yes, the sweet spot is incredibly wide on these.

Macca
durchfall

Post by Macca »

I just upgraded from the rokit 5's to the yahmaha hs8. Its like night and day. I love them.
Instagram: @stevenmcfarlanedesign

Aureliano
BAD

Post by Aureliano »

Not sure if this the best place for my post but given that all the companies have been mentioned previously in this thread it seems appropriate.

I have £3k to drop on monitors. I’m looking at KH 310, PSI A17-M and Barefoot Footprint.

I mainly produce modern electronica, think Holly Herndon, Max Cooper, Ben Frost, Tim Hecker, Whom Yorke, etc. I don’t make or listen to techno really, or any classic dance music. For that reason transient response and imaging is the most important quality in a monitor for me. Tight low end is also desirable, rather than BIG low end.

At £3k range I always thought I’d end up with 3-way, sealed cabinet monitors, but the PSI are making me change my mind. From reviews and discussions I’ve read, their transient response and imaging appears to be unrivalled at that price range. At the same time, I can’t help but think it would be madness to drop £3k on monitors that would be slightly smaller than what I have (Genelec M040s) and that they would still be 2-ways and ported design. It’s likely that my prejudice is misplaced, but I do need assuring.

I’ve only listened to the KH 310 so far and it was impressive. Big soundstage, tight bass response and, to my ears, I loved how easily I could hear reverb tails in the mid-range, highlighting aspects of my mixes that I couldn’t perceive before. I’ll have a chance to listen to the other monitors in a couple of weeks, but not in my room.

Does anyone have any experience with the PSI’s or have a perspective on what the right decision for me might be?

As for the Barefoot Footprints, I want to hear them but they’re a bit of a wild card. Not sure how their beastly low end performance would hold up in my room, and I might be downsizing my studio in the near future.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

I don`t understand what genre has to do with good quality monitors, however...

I`ll throw a curve ball in and say GENELEC 8331 are well worth considering. Single point source monitoring is the shits now that the tech is cheaper and better, and you really can`t get better imaging than dual concentric....

PSI I think are a little industry overhyped, and so slightly overpriced in my opinion... But still great monitors.

The weak link are the KH310... As 3 ways I don`t really think they live up to what 3 ways can do for you.. They are a touch loose and woolly compared to stuff in the price range.

Barefoot are great..

I would pick two and get some sent out and send back what you don`t like, but also I would look into Hi End audiophile stuff rather than pro audio when dealing in that price range and above.

I guess the real question to ask is, have your mixing skills gone beyond the capability of your current monitors and is your listening environment conducive to high end monitoring or are you in the "If I get better monitors then maybe my mixes will get better" mindset?
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

WOLF!
Grand

Post by WOLF! »

Some updates about the Presonus Sceptre S8's. I'm guessing more people over here want them, or allready bought them.
I really like them but I must say that these hiss more then my genelecs.
My signal chain is clean; the hiss is coming from the Sceptre's amplifiers.

Yesterday I fired up the studio and noticed muffled lows on both speakers. I've needed to reset the DSP to get the lows back.
You can reset it by using a key combination at startup.
More info can be found in this topic: https://answers.presonus.com/17017/how- ... eakers-dsp