Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt
Re: Arturia kickbrute / Drumbrute

Post by Lost to the Void »

Amazing price really.
Round of applause

Now we need behringer to do a tempest level drum machine for 600 quid.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

buffered
Freestyler

Post by buffered »

individual outs, polyrhythmic sequencer, simple robust analog soundset.
Looks like this could be a solid little drum workhorse.
Price is good and not overloaded with features. I don't mind it.

Mono-xID
Uumfääng

Post by Mono-xID »

Doesn't look too shabby for that price. Could see these sell like sliced bread.
http://soundcloud.com/monoxid

Behringer = ARTS label of synths

Hepta
I Love YOU!!!

Post by Hepta »

Nice, I guess it kinda makes sense that they would make a drum machine after the release of the Matrixbrute. All companies want you to have a complete solution within their brand.

WOLF!
Grand

Post by WOLF! »

The kickbrute sounds like a mix of a Roland CR and a bit of Vermona DRM.

terly
arsehole

Post by terly »

I heard from a friend who was doing a bit of research on this that it can in fact do motion record. Can't confirm though. Seems like a good bit of kit for the price.

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Occasionally my toilet does a motion record. It's intermittent though. Possibly a bug in the cistern.

No need to panic if it does happen.. as you can get a special brush that let's you erase it & start all over again. Handy :mrgreen:

-----------

That's would be pretty cool. Would really be a great addition. I heard some aspects of the grooves / live performance in those videos & yeah, it would be nice to be able to inject that phrasing into it all. Hopefully it does.
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

As always, Sonic State give a better picture.

youtu.be/GBcI6kvRjPA
New Shit

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Watching it now.

SO.. the individual outs when used, get removed from the sum of the main mono out. The filter only works on whats going through the main mono out.. so you could definitely use the filter / resonance to beef up just the kick if everything else was routed through a desk.. Nice.
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

No mention of motion record - maybe I missed something.

Fucking cool little box. Definitely some scope to layer.

borg
Lifer

Post by borg »

usually I'm not a victim to GAS, but I'd really like to get this next to my MachineDrum. The AnalogRytm was never an option at that price, but this is something else. Nothing too special, but the polyrhythm part is something I miss dearly in the MD, and it sounds more than decent hearing these first demos.

Pfff, maybe in six months. I just started taking down the studio to build a bigger one in the attic, so I've confined myself to a corner of our big dining table with just a laptop and Push/iPad. I'll see if I really miss all the hardware, before getting new stuff.
Andy
the lunatics are in the hall...

msl
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█

Post by msl »

At that price point I'm all over it!

www.bernadettetrax.bandcamp.com
www.soundcloud.com/michaellovatt

“Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.” Dune

seanocean
Jan : )

Post by seanocean »

Cannot save any kits. total pain. you'd have to get midi to trigger your cc messages to the pots (if it has any) to remember where you had started. if you bumped it and can't remember what value you had your drums sounds at, it would take time to get it back. Jomox x base 09 selling used would be a better value.

also i think analog drum sounds sound too 1970s for me, combination of rompler and oscillators with full digital control would be my choice.. but i guess that's the tempest, analog rytm and jomox 888 so..
| / / < < > > \ \ | | / / < < > > \ \ | | / / < < > > \ \ | | / / < < > > \ \ | | / / < < > > \ \ | | / / < < > > \ \ |

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

The jomox x base 09 sell for about 500 jib second hand, only has 3 sounds and has a crappier sequencer, I wouldnt say it was better value at all if you were looking for pure anal logs drums.

No recall is common on pure anal logs. As it is on modularbollox.

Thats the "fun" everyone likes to talk about.
It's all about the moment man, about just making a decision and going with it then and there.

Get with the hip dude.
New Shit

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

I might save up for a Vermona (trying to get away from the Roland emulations), you can get one used for around 500. Seems like the best option to me if you have something else to sequence it. I'm not an anal log fanboy but the software market for drum machines is really crappy, there's like what, five or six proper ones? And I tried most of them and didn't really super resonate with any of them. Sure, you can treat just raw noise to sound proper ITB but i'd like to start with something I actually like.

buffered
Freestyler

Post by buffered »

the Vermona is definately a nice machine. A few more parameters than this drum brute. Though the Vermona does really come alive with processing. You may want to try the hats out before you buy. I find they have a distinct tone that is not so easy to sit in tracks.
The kick and drum 1 and 2 channels can be layered for some very heavy kicks. Fun to use.

OHADOHAD
decent

Post by OHADOHAD »

So after doing the forbidden thing, selling my Elektron Analog Rytm, took the money and splashed out on Ensoniq DP/4, Shruthi-1 and the Drumbrute.
Today I got my Drumbrute.
Got to say.. this thing is pretty cool, instant fun and inspiration, plus this thing really likes distortion and fx in general.
It's really not an 808/909 wannabe, it's got is own vibe.
Only thing I'm not sure yet is the kick.. but with some processing there's hope (didnt had time to play with that).
Hopefully will have time to record something tomorrow and I will upload.
No Bass Lines For Me!

WOLF!
Grand

Post by WOLF! »

buffered wrote:the Vermona is definately a nice machine. A few more parameters than this drum brute. Though the Vermona does really come alive with processing. You may want to try the hats out before you buy. I find they have a distinct tone that is not so easy to sit in tracks.
The kick and drum 1 and 2 channels can be layered for some very heavy kicks. Fun to use.
Yes it really is but I did sold mine because it didn't got used much and it got used in a trade with other gear.
The hats are indeed quite special (metallic sounding) and typical Vermona DRM. I do hear some resemblance in the Drumbrute's hats.
My dislike of the kicks was the huge tuning range of the pitch on them; one microshift on the pot could make a big difference sound wise.

Resin
Pig

Post by Resin »

I got mine today and played around with it this morning. I really wanna love it, I really do… but so far it looks like it’s gonna get back the store. The Interface is awesome. The whole thing looks and feels like a proper instrument. It took me just a few minutes to figure out all basic functions and it’s lovely to play with. The build quality is decent. Not fantastic but really decent - actually exactly what you’d expect from Arturia if you have used the Mini-/Microbrute or BSP.
The sounds however, do not blow me away:
Kick 1 sounds pretty good on its own, but it never sits well with the other sounds. The tweaking range is awkward. It mostly sits in the goofy high pitched territory, but lacks of sweet spots for proper kicks. Kick 2 is quiet nice. Not very tweakable, but nice. There have been a few complaints about the snare for not being punchy enough. And indeed it fairly light, which actually is something I like. But once again, not enough sweet spots… same goes for the clap. Rim/Clave is okay. The hats however, are awful. With open decay the sound like a thin, grainy piece of shit. If you close the decay they are okay for ghost note stuff, but that’s about it. Not very useable. The cymbal is a much better high hat, but only with one or two sweet spots. As a cymbal it doesn’t do much for me. Conga/Tom sounds are nice and clean. I like the maraca, but it’s a shame that it doesn’t have a tuning pot. The tambourine sounds cheap. The zap sound is bit of a joke.

So yeah… my main grip with it is, that it doesn’t offer enough sweet spots. I see myself ending up with the same sounds over and over again. Though, I have yet to plug it into the modular and see if it reveals its beauty… that’s why I actually bought it, so there is some hope left.

collide
Smore

Post by collide »

Not good to read you are not happy with the Drumbrute but...

I'm happy someone posted what I was thinking right from the start. It sounds like shit and there is barely anything to tweak. Why did people want motion record? Did they not hear that there is nothing to record?
I couldn't understand the rave about that thing - it's cheap but that's it. Looks like shit too, imo.