ableton internal routing question

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
helloitsmeagain
athlete
ableton internal routing question

Post by helloitsmeagain »

ok, something i wanted to do recently and seem unable to do in ableton.

i can't modulate the output drop down. in the beginning it's 'send only', later i hope to send the channel to the master and disregard the send. the only way i can find to accomplish this is to duplicate the channel. one version is outputting to the send and the other to the master. then at some point i just switch off the send only channel and switch on the other.

any more elegant solution?
Because of ACiD, i now know that butter is way better than margarine. I saw through the bullshit. - Mitch Hedberg

ozias_leduc
ANAL
Re: ableton internal routing question

Post by ozias_leduc »

hmmm you'll have to have the send set to pre-fade rather than post-fade (on the master channel in line with the send where it says "post" - change that to "pre")

so when you want it going to the send; have the fader at the bottom (-inf) and the send up

vice versa for when you want it going to the master channel

unfortunately a shitty thing with ableton is that now all channels will have that send as "pre fade" (a stupid limitation that other DAWs dont' have) - however you could set up a new send that feeds your desired send (ie set the new send's output to "sends only" and have it feed your original send!) and have only *that* send as pre-fade -- that way you can have a pre-fade and a post-fade option for that send channel!

still a bit messy but will probably make automation a bit more intuitive than having 2 separate audio/midi channels as you said you had

let me know if that doens't make sense!

helloitsmeagain
athlete

perfect explanation. and it works. however i can't use it cause my send has multiple inputs and i want to keep it going, just drop that one input... but nice tip man, i never would have figured that out. thanks!
Because of ACiD, i now know that butter is way better than margarine. I saw through the bullshit. - Mitch Hedberg

ozias_leduc
ANAL

Post by ozias_leduc »

ah can you not use the 'new' (ie prefade) send on your various input channels?

helloitsmeagain
athlete

haha, guess i could, but then the more elegant solution is just duplicate!