---- Elektron User Topic -----

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
td3l
reverse genius
Re: ---- Elektron User Topic -----

Post by td3l »

Mono-xID wrote:As promised, just some quick sketches. All drums and effects are straight out the RYTM's main out recorded into Ableton. Synth lines from the Dominion 1.

No further processing except some mild compression on Live's master channel to glue things....

private links

RYTM TRAX 01

https://soundcloud.com/monoxid/rytm-trax-01/s-BH93X

RYTM TRAX 02

https://soundcloud.com/monoxid/rytm-trax-02/s-DDHLI

RYTM TRAX 03

https://soundcloud.com/monoxid/rytm-trax-03/s-6enpO
Thanks! These are super useful. I'm not 100% convinced by the Rytm's sound yet, but it sounds better than a stale-ass dry 909 and I post-process the shit out of everything anyway.

Mono-xID
Uumfääng

Post by Mono-xID »

td3l wrote:
Mono-xID wrote:As promised, just some quick sketches. All drums and effects are straight out the RYTM's main out recorded into Ableton. Synth lines from the Dominion 1.

No further processing except some mild compression on Live's master channel to glue things....

private links

RYTM TRAX 01

https://soundcloud.com/monoxid/rytm-trax-01/s-BH93X

RYTM TRAX 02

https://soundcloud.com/monoxid/rytm-trax-02/s-DDHLI

RYTM TRAX 03

https://soundcloud.com/monoxid/rytm-trax-03/s-6enpO
Thanks! These are super useful. I'm not 100% convinced by the Rytm's sound yet, but it sounds better than a stale-ass dry 909 and I post-process the shit out of everything anyway.
Like i said, these were just quick jams. Made them in 5 minutes each. You can dial the sounds more precisely. I'd say the RYTM is worth every penny.

And yes, i post-process as fuck as well and that makes the RYTM really shine.
http://soundcloud.com/monoxid

Behringer = ARTS label of synths

Monreal
You only live once

Post by Monreal »

RYTM synth engine alone is great but I believe what makes this machine a work of art is how you layer samples on each sound.

kirkwoodwest
quasi-public

Post by kirkwoodwest »

Monreal wrote:RYTM synth engine alone is great but I believe what makes this machine a work of art is how you layer samples on each sound.
personally I think they could have made some improvements to the synth engine... they could make a couple more tom variations at least. those things are so hard to dial in and always end up with the same sound anyways.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest/

Den Bosch
brown envelope

Post by Den Bosch »

For anyone whose ever wondered what the inside of an OT looks like, here it is.

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

Enough room for drugs.

TheBinaryMind
pregnant

Post by TheBinaryMind »

Den Bosch wrote:For anyone whose ever wondered what the inside of an OT looks like, here it is.

I saw that post passing by on FB as well. The Elektron stuff doesn't really feel like plastic, it's quite solid if you got it on your hands. Anyway, this Octatrack looks like its buttons are operated with cigarets and its crossfader with teeth, so I'm not very surprised Elektron replies with "Abuse".

Den Bosch
brown envelope

Post by Den Bosch »

Plus he posts every other week that someone's spilled their drink all over his gear at a gig.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Yeah seriously, who is this Ansome geezer and what the fuck is he doing to his elektron stuff?
Mines all been out on the road and it all still looks brand new.

Some people are just kack-handed monkeys.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

delphine
Suspect Handshake

Post by delphine »

What did he do to that crossfader? :lol: :lol:

td3l
reverse genius

Post by td3l »

Okay Octatrack users, I'd like some input from you too:

I sequence and mix in Ableton and am quite happy doing so, but most of my sounds currently come from VST synth type instruments and are passed through a variety of effects. I am interested in potentially using an Octatrack less as a sequencer/center hub and more of a weird sound generation kind of instrument, where I feed it samples of all kinds of things (not necessarily synthesized stuff), warp them into weird one-shot sounds, ambiances, rhythmic loops, etc, and then kick them back into Ableton. I know I can get this kind of action happening in Ableton already, but I'd also like to have a fun OTB box I can occasionally disconnect with and watch blink rhythmically.

Does this sound like something the OT would be well suited for?

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

In all honesty if your only going to use it for that you could look at the digitakt, its a soundcard so you ca sample to and from ableton directly via usb.

Its mono though.

IMO, the OT is much more performance minded. at least thats how i look at it

td3l
reverse genius

Post by td3l »

Alume wrote:In all honesty if your only going to use it for that you could look at the digitakt, its a soundcard so you ca sample to and from ableton directly via usb.

Its mono though.

IMO, the OT is much more performance minded. at least thats how i look at it
I should mention also that I have thoughts of having it sync'ed to Ableton and doing some sound mangling in real time whilst recording.

But yeah I'll look into the Digitakt

xonetacular
Gnasher

Post by xonetacular »

ansome is a savage but no doubt he just gets wasted and abuses his gear on stage. think he's had it out for elektron for not sending him free shit or getting the response he wants when they told him it was his fault. it's almost like he's trying to break them at this point just to shit on elektron some more.

that octatrack photo with the case coming apart, seriously? it looks like he unscrewed the top plate just for the photo. no way that just comes apart like that. where are the screws? the dont all just come out by themselves.

xonetacular
Gnasher

Post by xonetacular »

he just responded on facebook saying that he was taking it apart to repair a button... kind of misleading since it gives the impression the whole thing fell apart.

arkos

Post by arkos »

xonetacular wrote:he just responded on facebook saying that he was taking it apart to repair a button... kind of misleading since it gives the impression the whole thing fell apart.
I've only got one Elektron box and it's built like a tank it seems as I was a dumb ass a few months back and dropped it on the floor :oops:

Nothing happened, not a scratch and it works 100% so this Ansome guy must be like they said "abuser of gear"

If the man is so unhappy with their products why did he buy 6 of 'em ?

buffered
Freestyler

Post by buffered »

Lost to the Void wrote:Yeah seriously, who is this Ansome geezer and what the fuck is he doing to his elektron stuff?
Mines all been out on the road and it all still looks brand new.

Some people are just kack-handed monkeys.
yeah the casing itself is sturdy but the encoders are really cheap. They should be fastened to the casing and not simply soldered to the board. After a few of years they wobble loose.

buffered
Freestyler

Post by buffered »

arkos wrote:
xonetacular wrote:he just responded on facebook saying that he was taking it apart to repair a button... kind of misleading since it gives the impression the whole thing fell apart.
I've only got one Elektron box and it's built like a tank it seems as I was a dumb ass a few months back and dropped it on the floor :oops:

Nothing happened, not a scratch and it works 100% so this Ansome guy must be like they said "abuser of gear"

If the man is so unhappy with their products why did he buy 6 of 'em ?
I'd say he just gigs alot. When you are carting these around from plane to car to club to hotel etc things happen.... but this should all be taken into account when prototyping.
Anyone playing regular gigs with these boxes will tell you that they have high concerns. Firstly because the encoders are flimsy....second because they cost alot to replace a unit.

arkos

Post by arkos »

buffered wrote:
I'd say he just gigs alot. When you are carting these around from plane to car to club to hotel etc things happen.... but this should all be taken into account when prototyping.
Anyone playing regular gigs with these boxes will tell you that they have high concerns. Firstly because the encoders are flimsy....second because they cost alot to replace a unit.
Yeah your'e right he's always on Mord flyers playing live set's, but still 6 units ? I think I'd be done with the company if I'd break two.

I did however notice in the Digitakt video how much Cenk was going on about how they have new high quality encoders on that thing.
And I think of it the same way I think of that Novation Peak commercial playing in every video from Superbooth, looks very suspicious, way to much exposure so it must not be very good synth after all :D

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

td3l wrote:Okay Octatrack users, I'd like some input from you too:

I sequence and mix in Ableton and am quite happy doing so, but most of my sounds currently come from VST synth type instruments and are passed through a variety of effects. I am interested in potentially using an Octatrack less as a sequencer/center hub and more of a weird sound generation kind of instrument, where I feed it samples of all kinds of things (not necessarily synthesized stuff), warp them into weird one-shot sounds, ambiances, rhythmic loops, etc, and then kick them back into Ableton. I know I can get this kind of action happening in Ableton already, but I'd also like to have a fun OTB box I can occasionally disconnect with and watch blink rhythmically.

Does this sound like something the OT would be well suited for?
Definitely. Live mangling is really the forte of the Octa, and it's stereo too.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.