---- Elektron User Topic -----

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt
Re: ---- Elektron User Topic -----

Post by Lost to the Void »

buffered wrote:
Lost to the Void wrote:Yeah seriously, who is this Ansome geezer and what the fuck is he doing to his elektron stuff?
Mines all been out on the road and it all still looks brand new.

Some people are just kack-handed monkeys.
yeah the casing itself is sturdy but the encoders are really cheap. They should be fastened to the casing and not simply soldered to the board. After a few of years they wobble loose.

Oh do they really?
Hmmm. Had my Octatrack since it was released over 5 years ago. It's been all over the world with me to gigs playing techno, power noise and industrial, on and off planes, in and out of clubs and warehouses.
All the encoders are still absolutely fine, it looks brand new.
Never had any trouble with my machine drum either. :roll:

Some people are just heavy handed twats. You go to some peoples studios and their gear is fucked.

This is a case of blame them user I think.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Monreal
You only live once

Post by Monreal »

The distortion on AR is a thing of beauty.

terryfalafel
Component

Post by terryfalafel »

Has anything official ever been officially stated by Elektron about how sample uploading and management will be changed in Analog Rytm in future firmware?

There are a couple of stories about this flying round the Elektronauts forum regarding Overbridge changing to incorporate sample uploading, but it's hard to tell who is speculating and who actually knows something on there.

The Rytm has really started to fulfil its potential since I put in some of my own samples. But uploading and organising them is a bit of a pain. Any improvement in this area would be welcome...

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

All speculation, all we know for a fact is that its coming and that it will be similar to the DT sample uploading. It will be more of an drag and drop situation. Think some directory action will be in there as well.

Monreal
You only live once

Post by Monreal »

Sending samples via c6 and organizing them on the machine is just a simple task, I don't know how people have hard time doing it. Seriously it's such a piece of cake.

terryfalafel
Component

Post by terryfalafel »

Monreal wrote:Sending samples via c6 and organizing them on the machine is just a simple task, I don't know how people have hard time doing it. Seriously it's such a piece of cake.
It takes too long. I'm surprised to hear that anyone would be satisfied with it taking minutes rather than seconds to upload 50 hihat samples.

Also I have yet to find a way to move whole folders plus their contents around on the storage drive. Any idea how to do that?

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

anyone interested in the straight 808 soundpack for AR? drop me a pm with your email and i'll send the zip

Monreal
You only live once

Post by Monreal »

terryfalafel wrote:
Monreal wrote:Sending samples via c6 and organizing them on the machine is just a simple task, I don't know how people have hard time doing it. Seriously it's such a piece of cake.
It takes too long. I'm surprised to hear that anyone would be satisfied with it taking minutes rather than seconds to upload 50 hihat samples.

Also I have yet to find a way to move whole folders plus their contents around on the storage drive. Any idea how to do that?
Long how? With our without the turbo mode it shouldn't take a second longer than a minute unless you're hooking up to a toaster.

I have a 7 year old laptop with a 1st gen i5 processor, with it I can send 100 samples maybe a bit longer than a minute, which is more than fair.

About the question:

Correct me if I'm wrong but the drive has only one index so what are you trying to achive by move folders, it doesn't make sense. Am I getting the question wrong?

If you're trying to move the contents from one folder to another, just select "select all" then "move".

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

Should be the turbo mode indeed.

Den Bosch
brown envelope

Post by Den Bosch »

This video covers the most important aspects of the digitakt and octatrack. Pretty useful for those wondering which one they should get, like I was.

Judging from this comparison, the main advantages of the digitakt over the octatrack are the simpler/faster workflow, overbridge functionality and trig conditions.

That being said, the octatrack basically outshines the digitakt in every other aspect regarding functionality and options as it is truly a different machine. Like he states at the end, the digitakt is one component in a larger setup, while the octatrack can be the brain of a setup + most of the stuff the Digitakt can do. More functionality obviously brings more menu diving and a steeper learning curve.

youtu.be/HmA2vSoYL94

Monreal
You only live once

Post by Monreal »

Also Octatrack is €500+ more expensive, has complete different user base and functionality.

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

Totally different indeed. They both sequence and sample, thats pretty much it.

Den Bosch
brown envelope

Post by Den Bosch »

That's right, they are much more different than I expected. There was a brief discussion about the differences between the two machines in the digitakt thread that only covered the topic superficially and didn't hit home for me at least. This video does.

Price difference is only 300 euro right now, and that's not including overbridge premium and for the octatrack mk1.

td3l
reverse genius

Post by td3l »

Well I've had a Rytm for about a month now but am not sure how I feel about it. The USB integration & recall in Ableton is great, but the sound engine just isn't knocking my socks off. And while the inclusion of samples is cool, the sample management is abysmal and most of the time I just stick with Drum Racks since it's much faster. I think I'm experiencing the same thing with this machine that Alume hit on a year or two ago, which is that it's cool but takes too much time/energy to get to sound good vs other means.

If I were trying to actively move out of the computer the Rytm would be a godsend... but I'm not. Meanwhile, I just bought an 0-coast and every time I turn it on I smile because the raw sound shines in my ears, even if its limited in what it does. I might need to build a Yocto or something in order to get the same effect from a drum machine.

Anyone had similar feelings about the AR? Did you resolve them? Am I selling it short?

Macca
durchfall

Post by Macca »

td3l wrote:Well I've had a Rytm for about a month now but am not sure how I feel about it. The USB integration & recall in Ableton is great, but the sound engine just isn't knocking my socks off. And while the inclusion of samples is cool, the sample management is abysmal and most of the time I just stick with Drum Racks since it's much faster. I think I'm experiencing the same thing with this machine that Alume hit on a year or two ago, which is that it's cool but takes too much time/energy to get to sound good vs other means.

If I were trying to actively move out of the computer the Rytm would be a godsend... but I'm not. Meanwhile, I just bought an 0-coast and every time I turn it on I smile because the raw sound shines in my ears, even if its limited in what it does. I might need to build a Yocto or something in order to get the same effect from a drum machine.

Anyone had similar feelings about the AR? Did you resolve them? Am I selling it short?
I love the RYTM, I dont bother trying to pair it up with the computer though, and I dont bother with samples as I use the OT for that, but I think the sound from it is really good.
Instagram: @stevenmcfarlanedesign

Macca
durchfall

Post by Macca »

Anyone have any advice with playing the Octatrack for live use? Im learning all about parts/pattern/banks/scenes and I think I understand the general idea behind them, but still transitioning between patterns (with different parts loaded on the pattern) doesnt sound very natural and is almost like slamming the crossfader from left to right on a normal mixer (if that makes sense?).

I also learned about the transition trick which seems a little a better but Im not sure if theres a more easier way of getting smooth transitions say from one bank of patterns to another?

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

When playing live when I used an Octa I used to assign 4 tracks to one set of outputs, and 4 tracks to another set of outputs, and then physically mix between them on a mixer.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Macca
durchfall

Post by Macca »

Just a heads up that the RYTM has a new update with a Dual VCO engine. Gonna check that out tonight.

Also Analog Heat MKII?? That was pretty fast no?

rsntr
Jan : )

Post by rsntr »

Macca wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:50 pm
Anyone have any advice with playing the Octatrack for live use? Im learning all about parts/pattern/banks/scenes and I think I understand the general idea behind them, but still transitioning between patterns (with different parts loaded on the pattern) doesnt sound very natural and is almost like slamming the crossfader from left to right on a normal mixer (if that makes sense?).

I also learned about the transition trick which seems a little a better but Im not sure if theres a more easier way of getting smooth transitions say from one bank of patterns to another?
About transitions: you can trigger slots (quantized) so you can use it a bit like Ableton in the Session view if you use loops to play live. I.e. you can bring in a new synth loop while the kick loop of the old track plays etc. Unfortunately there's apparently now way to bring in different patterns one track at a time if you rather use sequencing than loops => Transitioning loops is quite easy, transitioning sequences not.

Macca
durchfall

Post by Macca »

rsntr wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:29 pm
Macca wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:50 pm

About transitions: you can trigger slots (quantized) so you can use it a bit like Ableton in the Session view if you use loops to play live. I.e. you can bring in a new synth loop while the kick loop of the old track plays etc. Unfortunately there's apparently now way to bring in different patterns one track at a time if you rather use sequencing than loops => Transitioning loops is quite easy, transitioning sequences not.
Thanks man that's the kinda thing I was looking for. Cheers