would you buy a Tempest or an Analog Rytm? WHY?

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
yentz
site spammer
Re: would you buy a Tempest or an Analog Rytm? WHY?

Post by yentz »

The sampling of the rytm actually is really good. There isn't any fancy sample mangling, key groups or other stuff like this BUT if you use it for simple one shots you can run the samples through the analogue signal chain including filter and distortion which really does something to the samples. Using the octatrack and the rytm I would love to have exactly this times 8 in the octatrack as well. The samples just sound beautiful.
For live performance there are scene and performance mode which allow to blend between parameter values and I think are really stunning for live performance (I am not doing live).
The pads suck but I rarely use them anyway.
The machines are good but you have to use samples as well as especially the hi hat and cymbals are not enough for my needs.
In my opinion the overall sound is huge .
Would buy again but I am hoping for some new machines. Ohh and there is a bug which prevents to switch patterns in the middle of a sequence using midi notes. using the hardware works perfectly fine but midi program changes are just done when the pattern ends and the next one starts.
Ohh I just forgot... Overbridge is working really well for me (sync through external midi clock not over bridge yet). I suppose the quality of the ad converters within the rytm is not high enough for some but I am absoutelty fine with it and it does save lots of cables and space. There is an update announced which is said to have a total recall function which lets you save the sounds within the plugin so you don't need to use the program manager, which is fine but obviously not near as good as a good screen. Not sure about the samples though.

Lag
athlete

Post by Lag »

1nfinitezer0 wrote:
Lag wrote:I fucking love the Tempest sound but the entire workflow is unintuitive as hell.
Rythm for quick (and good) results. Tempest if you have a lot of spare time.
Really? Their whole pre-launch proposal was that it was the best workflow since the MPC (I'm hyperbolizing, but still).
Try it.
You have to systematically create confusion, it sets creativity free. Everything that is contradictory creates life.

p_ache
fancy woman

Post by p_ache »

I haven't try it yet, but from all the demos I have heard, the analog part sounded boring. Kick drum seems really fine though. Of course that's a matter of taste.
Anyone with a nice demo of the analog sounds?
The sample player + the sequencer seems to be just perfect. But not using the analog part seems quite a bit of a waste.

wormcode
unsure

Post by wormcode »

Rytm because I've been a big Elektron fan since they first started. I really enjoy how their machines and menus are laid out. Doubt you could go wrong with either one though. Also since they launched Overbridge and I've been looking forward to checking it out, I just hope they implement support for their legacy hardware.

aoud
Unfriended

Post by aoud »

I've finished full records with both and the Analog RYTM by far is a better work tool.

The Tempest always had a lot of noise, loose timing, not total "recall" for projects and other issues. (Haha, sounds like some things certain people might actually like more, which is cool and I get it.)

The Elektron just sounds "right" and definitely needs less work at mix time. A lot more headroom in that box. "More is more" with the Elektron. It is amazing.

Put Overbridge and the Elektron way of life into the mix, just a great box.

Best,

Senko
decent

Post by Senko »

I can't convince myself of the RYTM no matter how much I try. Now hear me out...

My background and flavor is based on Boom Bap, Early Drum and Bass, Jungle, Breakbeat and even the occasional Math Rock. I like drums is what i'm trying to say.

Now the RYTM is a great all-in-one techno box as i've learned, and a great piece to jot things down OTB (Even though it really does seem to cater to more modern sounding "techno"). Great, but i'm not seeing it as a creative tool to make some really interesting percussion such as heavy hitting snares and so forth.

I need something that would allow me to create sounds for dusty hip hop, funky break-beats and some jungle flavor. I'm not trying to make some dick wall slapping Berghain 909 music.

Now the Tempest demos I have viewed seem pretty convincing and I generally enjoy the drum sounds as they actually sound like proper drums.

I have no means of testing these units in person as my local centers don't carry them.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Tempest is probably more versatile in terms of genres and sonic options (more expensive too), RTM is ideal for techno and dance music that historically has been less acousmatic, and a shit load of fun due to the elektron sequencing, so very creative in hands on terms.

Personally I too would go for the Tempest given no budget restrictions, as I prefer a wider sound pallet myself.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

Senko wrote:I can't convince myself of the RYTM no matter how much I try. Now hear me out...

My background and flavor is based on Boom Bap, Early Drum and Bass, Jungle, Breakbeat and even the occasional Math Rock. I like drums is what i'm trying to say.

Now the RYTM is a great all-in-one techno box as i've learned, and a great piece to jot things down OTB (Even though it really does seem to cater to more modern sounding "techno"). Great, but i'm not seeing it as a creative tool to make some really interesting percussion such as heavy hitting snares and so forth.

I need something that would allow me to create sounds for dusty hip hop, funky break-beats and some jungle flavor. I'm not trying to make some dick wall slapping Berghain 909 music.

Now the Tempest demos I have viewed seem pretty convincing and I generally enjoy the drum sounds as they actually sound like proper drums.

I have no means of testing these units in person as my local centers don't carry them.
I think you might be better of with the Tempest then. In my experience the rytm needed to much tweaking fo find what i was after. I;d be in the machine for a long time, twisting and tweaking and losing momentum.

But thats just my experience, I had a lot more fun with the sample playback.

Its a great machine never the less

Senko
decent

Post by Senko »

Yeah I guess it's true what they say, always go with your gut feeling.

But hey... Rumor is there should be some new flagship Elektron gear coming. Apparently Digitakt was just a way for the investors to test the waters some more. :)

td3l
reverse genius

Post by td3l »

Worth noting that DSI announced just a few months ago that there would be no further firmware upgrades for the Tempest.

P0607r0n
Metric Martyr

Post by P0607r0n »

td3l wrote:Worth noting that DSI announced just a few months ago that there would be no further firmware upgrades for the Tempest.
After which they launched new firmware. Dsi is lol

I'm owner ov tempest, and I in my opinion it's really ergonomic workflow wise. Lot of "hands on" knob twisting. There is as well big sound palette you can get out of that box. And if you need it will do those wall shaking kicks as well... Though it's not instant gratification box, you really need to learn your drum synthesis to get results out of it, otherwise it will sound weedy. I would say RYTM has much more modern feel though, plus overbridge and p-locks are actually cool things.
I would like to try elektron box one day, but I'll not part with tempest, as I didn't find sound that is unachivable with it, so why would I swap it?

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Senko wrote:
But hey... Rumor is there should be some new flagship Elektron gear coming. Apparently Digitakt was just a way for the investors to test the waters some more. :)

Really? The only thing I heard was that they were using the Digitwat for testing the waters in putting out lower priced smaller, less flagshippy Elektron gear to break into the more competitive market.
I hope not. Digitwat was pretty disappointing in the end.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

P0607r0n
Metric Martyr

Post by P0607r0n »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Senko wrote:

Really? The only thing I heard was that they were using the Digitwat for testing the waters in putting out lower priced smaller, less flagshippy Elektron gear to break into the more competitive market.
I hope not. Digitwat was pretty disappointing in the end.
Digitwat got huge and long "meh" from me...
With analogsheat as well, as I really want a sherman, so when AH got announced I watched demo, checked me pulse, and I still want sherman. :P

Back to the point: Rytm vs Tempest... Get whichever, uf you won't like it just sell to get another one. ;)

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

Senko wrote:I need something that would allow me to create sounds for dusty hip hop, funky break-beats and some jungle flavor.
Doesn't sound like you want a drum-synth at all. Maybe one of the new MPC's would suit better? I think they can be used stand-alone and with a computer now.

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

Lost to the Void wrote:Tempest is probably more versatile in terms of genres and sonic options (more expensive too), RTM is ideal for techno and dance music that historically has been less acousmatic, and a shit load of fun due to the elektron sequencing, so very creative in hands on terms.

Personally I too would go for the Tempest given no budget restrictions, as I prefer a wider sound pallet myself.

Yeah they said they would release more instruments than you could ever emagine and that they arent stepping away from "big/flagship" equipment either.

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

Seems like i quoted the wrong post, but hey you get the idea.

rsntr
Jan : )

Post by rsntr »

I have a Tempest and in comparison to the Octatrack's sequencer (which is rather similar to the Rytm I suppose), I don't like it that much. It's an etch-a-sketch pain that makes live sequencing impossible, especially if you have a pattern over the duration of more than one bar. I guess it's great if you play the pads in real time and record that but that's nothing I really do. I can't compare the sound generation since I only tried the Rytm for a short bit but the Tempest can essentially do any substractive style synth sound, not just drums. Actually I was thinking of selling my Tempest (especially since they've gotten more expensive in Europe) but maybe I'll get back to liking it again. Shortly after I bought it I made a lot of music with it pretty quickly. The frustration started when I tried to make it the backbone of my live set, which didn't work out too well.

1nfinitezer0
Tiesto

Post by 1nfinitezer0 »

rsntr wrote: The frustration started when I tried to make it the backbone of my live set, which didn't work out too well.
Really? What was it that made it crap at that stage? I ask, because I was thinking about getting it as the main machine to go beside an Ableton set.

rsntr
Jan : )

Post by rsntr »

1nfinitezer0 wrote:
rsntr wrote: The frustration started when I tried to make it the backbone of my live set, which didn't work out too well.
Really? What was it that made it crap at that stage? I ask, because I was thinking about getting it as the main machine to go beside an Ableton set.

It's really because of the sequencer. For example, if you want to change any parameter of a certain step you have to use two encoders to first select that step (after you've switched the display to sequencer mode). Then you have to use another encoder to select the parameter you want to change and then use yet another encoder to actually change the parameter. It is not possible to simply hit the pad that contains the step and just make the changes. If you do that you delete that step. Moreover, switching to the second (or third etc.) bar of a pattern in order to edit it is similarly clumsy. I found it so complicated that I hardly changed anything of the sequences when playing live. You also can't copy and paste stuff while the sequencer is running (if I remember correctly).

Making transitions between patterns with different sounds requires a lot of preparation. Maybe it was just me being too lazy to neatly organize my sounds but I never dialed in different sounds into a running pattern because of that. Eventually I had stuff coming from the 707 before I would switch to a new pattern on the Tempest that uses different sounds just to have some kind of transition.

Also, you can't record parameter changes. The only way to do it is by assigning the parameter you want to record to one of the two ribbon controllers. That means you're bound by what parameters you can record (up to 4). There's also no way to interpolate the parameter settings between the steps like you can do on the Octatrack with slide trigs.

That being said, it can be a quite expressive instrument with the two ribbon controllers and the well made pads for people that actually play it like a percussion instrument instead of trying to program it on the fly. Another reason that stopped me using it live was when all of a sudden I couldn't change patterns when I played a set in a club. That never happened before and never again but the only way to solve it was to turn it off and on again so that's not acceptable in a live situation.