Mixing in earphones

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
helloitsmeagain
athlete
Mixing in earphones

Post by helloitsmeagain »

if you're not reading the design school thread you may be unaware that all my production is done in earphones. :oops: i have some sennheiser buds and techincs rp-dj's. I do own monitors but have a 6 month kid so i've not put them on in a while...

I was wondering about this and did a bit or research. I came across this: http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jan07/a ... phones.htm

I'd be interested to hear the views of people on this board.
Because of ACiD, i now know that butter is way better than margarine. I saw through the bullshit. - Mitch Hedberg

brian
slipper
Re: Mixing in earphones

Post by brian »

I use headphones mainly myself due to housemates being at home and sleeping at various times during the day, I'll usually switch to my monitors once the track is almost complete.

I also use redline monitor 112db plug in which mimics various monitor set ups.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Yeah headphones are incredibly tricky.
Bass response in particular is a problem, and having the sound close to your ears changes ambience, mailings like reverb sound more encompassing than on speakers.

Keep yourself on track by constantly switching in mix to commercially made stuff.

Redline monitor by 112db is a very handy plugin, it solves the stereo imaging problem caused by headphones, I use it sometimes when I use headphones to immerse myself in the sound.

If you are stuck with headphones I strongly suggest selling your normal headphones and investing in triple driver in ear monitors.
These things are great, for a start each each ear has a bass, mid range and sub woofer. And the drivers are armature drivers rather than dynamic drivers, giving better sound accuracy and much lower volumes, protecting your ears.
Here is a vid on armature driver tec
http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j& ... 0RTsIPRg5g

I have a set of ultimate ears triple driver monitors, the bass is amazing, very pure, it makes senheiser hd650 phones sound woolly and loose.

It takes a little while to get used to, as you are inside the sound, but really, an amazing chair of tech.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

bram2000
reverse genius

Post by bram2000 »

Interesting - I've recently been tempted by HD650's. Would you use a headphone amplifier with those in-ear monitors? Also, would/could you use them for normal music listening?

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

bram2000 wrote:Interesting - I've recently been tempted by HD650's. Would you use a headphone amplifier with those in-ear monitors? Also, would/could you use them for normal music listening?
There is absolutely no need to use headphone amps with in ear monitors.
Because the air in the ear canal is moved directly by the armature drivers, there is little to no drop off in sound pressure from driver to ear drum. This means you get extreme clarity, and due to the nature of the seal with the ear, great sound isolation, and therefore you end up listening at much lower SPL`s than conventional earphones.
Better for your ears.

And yes you can use them for normal music listening, I use mine on the journey to gigs, on planes, and it is pure ear sex.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

bram2000
reverse genius

Post by bram2000 »

Thanks for the info man!

(Mmmmmm, ear sex) :oops:

gabe DM
refusenik

Post by gabe DM »

I also work a lot with headphones, switching between Sennheiser HD25, AKG and some UrbanEars (http://www.urbanears.com/#/headphones/p ... ttan-black) hypster headphones which really have lots of basses.

I admit that my mixing sucks so it cannot be taken as a reference techniqe :D

anyway here's how I operate:
I always start my mix with monitors (Yamaha ns 10) but because are really bassless I only used them to check levels and then I use headphones, constantly translating the mix on different systems like hifi or friend's different monitors.

but at the end the result is always deficient :)
I got a good friend and skilled producer suggesting me to try the sony mdr-V700 headphones.
Gabe DM

----------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/gabedm
http://gabedm.wordpress.com

gurr13r
crud

Post by gurr13r »

I wouldnt use the hd25 or v700 for producing at all, they are way too bass heavy... Ive been checking out the triple driver in earphones aswell, they are very dear for a poverty stricken dole bum like myself :(

NomadSpectrum
subsekt
subsekt

Post by NomadSpectrum »

Like Brain I do most of my producing with headphones - but come the mixdown I will use my monitors