subsekt sound design school _ KICKS

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
benjaminwilliams
broke
Re: subsekt sound design school _ KICKS

Post by benjaminwilliams »

disparate wrote:Great thread.

One thing I noticed is that a lot of you guys aren't afraid to use a lot of processing, like at least 5-10 FX units, on your kicks. For some reason even though I've been messing about with producing for a while it's never really occurred to me, I've always just taken a sample or synthesised a kick, maybe added a tiny bit of saturation, EQ'd it and called it a day :| that often seems to be my attitude, no idea if it's right or wrong, I think I need to play about with multiple FX more. Got some interesting results messing about with things in this thread - ARiFF's post in particular is nice, definitely the sort of kick I like.

I'd like to contribute more but as I say I tend to just use samples without much processing so I'm a learner rather than a teacher right now...
This i also the way i approach kicks. I do mess around a lot, but it still sounds better if i just make or use a basic kick. Back to the drawingboard i guess. The tips in this topic are awesome!

ARiFF
snıuǝƃ ǝsɹǝʌǝɹ

Post by ARiFF »

benjaminwilliams wrote:
disparate wrote:Great thread.

One thing I noticed is that a lot of you guys aren't afraid to use a lot of processing, like at least 5-10 FX units, on your kicks. For some reason even though I've been messing about with producing for a while it's never really occurred to me, I've always just taken a sample or synthesised a kick, maybe added a tiny bit of saturation, EQ'd it and called it a day :| that often seems to be my attitude, no idea if it's right or wrong, I think I need to play about with multiple FX more. Got some interesting results messing about with things in this thread - ARiFF's post in particular is nice, definitely the sort of kick I like.

I'd like to contribute more but as I say I tend to just use samples without much processing so I'm a learner rather than a teacher right now...
This i also the way i approach kicks. I do mess around a lot, but it still sounds better if i just make or use a basic kick. Back to the drawingboard i guess. The tips in this topic are awesome!
One advice i immediatly took for granted and started to do a lot is experimenting. Also getting to know your tools and DAW plugins inside out is a big advantage.

ouido
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by ouido »

Hi,
Great forum with great vibe here.
I was trying to replicate some of the tutorial in this post. I really like the way Matt Fridell create his kicks, but it seems he processed his sound a second time, maybe by saturating with a console , or an entire analog chain. The result I've got replicating with exactly the same setting on plugins is cool, but not so loud and saturate.
Do you guy have an idea how is it done, or how you can approach it itb? Maybe Matt himself could explain his process.

Thanks!

ashley BORG
Small Penis

Post by ashley BORG »

ouido wrote:Hi,
Great forum with great vibe here.
I was trying to replicate some of the tutorial in this post. I really like the way Matt Fridell create his kicks, but it seems he processed his sound a second time, maybe by saturating with a console , or an entire analog chain. The result I've got replicating with exactly the same setting on plugins is cool, but not so loud and saturate.
Do you guy have an idea how is it done, or how you can approach it itb? Maybe Matt himself could explain his process.

Thanks!

I think the best thing you should do is upload an example of the kick.
Maybe first solo and possibly in the context of other sounds if you've got that far. This way it will be easier for someone to give focused advice.

ouido
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by ouido »

Thanks for your answer Ashley.

So I uploaded my sample, I tried to replicate the kick from Matt first and second tutorials. It's a saturated kick and a filtered kick. By comparing with those from Matt you can clearly hear the differences, how they hit, the stereo wideness, etc...
The purpose of this exercise was to create one hit sample, so I didn't inclued an orchestration.

What do you think? For me that's obviously the contrast between digital and analog processing that appear, but do you think there is a way to obtain the same result only itb? I mean, not exactly the same sound, of course, because we cannot replicate all the processus of an analogic gear, and it's not my goal, but I would like to know if it's possible to approach it in a different way (deepness, frequency contrast, etc...°
Attachments
Matt kick.7z
(50.12 KiB) Downloaded 97 times

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

I think Mattias was about as open about how he made these kicks as you're going to get, he shows you all the plugins he used. I've not compared your kicks properly but they sound OK to me, are you trying to recreate them exactly? Did you match the volumes of the kicks before comparing them?

Tbh, it sounds like you've got the idea of the processes involved already, you're wasting your time trying to emulate his kick exactly. Take what you've learnt and use it to make your own style of kicks. And as the 'Borg says, context is also very important, kick/bass relationship is more important in techno than how a kick sounds in isolation I reckon.

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Yeah.. I'd say experiment too. Agree with the lads, especially with Mark on Mattias being as open as he can be. I dont think theres anything left for him to say or do other than come around to peoples houses lol :D

Those kicks sound grand. Keep at it.
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB

ouido
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by ouido »

Ok... I was just asking if there was an analogic or a digital processing to these sounds, but now I'm feeling like I've asked the secret of eternal life to a forbidden god... But thanks anyway
: )

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

No.. not at all man. I don't think Mattias used anything other than some plugins. He was quite open about his approachs. You didn't ask about any secret or about something you shouldnt.. its just its been covered at length already. You just need to get stuck in & keep at it. What you have done sounds fine. Keep it up cos you are developing your own take on it. that's good :)
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB

Mattias
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mattias »

Yep no secret stuff. I just used some free plugins so everyone could replicate them.
Music Page: http://www.facebook.com/Mattias.Fridell.Music
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/fridell
Sample packs: http://mfsamples.bandcamp.com

Contention / 005

ashley BORG
Small Penis

Post by ashley BORG »

ICN wrote:Keep it up cos you are developing your own take on it. that's good :)

Yeah that's the point innit. And another thing, just create the stuff in context of a track then bounce it out after, better to understand how the kick work in relation to other sounds.

ouido
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by ouido »

Ok, muchas gracias all.

atom_output
Jan : )

Post by atom_output »

a couple of months back i started to use exclusively bazzism for kick drums, with some layering, mostly for the higher end of the spectrum. then i just go for the saturator (sometimes distortion plugs if applicable) and api 550 compressor.

but yeah, the whole point is to experiment until you get something that either sounds good or generally just sits right in the mix.

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

Been wondering how to get those submarine kicks, in theory I know how to get there but somehow I cant get it right in ableton. On my md I'm getting close though. I can get the midhigh punch somewhere there. Now that I'm saying this I'll try to layer that with an other kick.

Anyway, can somebody tell me some more about it?

youtu.be/M2MdzwFh8rA
youtu.be/r74U7cYOp8g

While I'm at it, with distortion alone I wont get there. Of course adam X isnt really a guys thats easy to copycat but I really like the punch in this one.
youtu.be/KzErTVUKuJg

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

Oh shit kind of thought this was like a kick tutorial thingy.