AM I THE ONLY ONE WHO PRODUCES TECHNO AT 140bpm?

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
Mattias
subsekt
subsekt
Re: AM I THE ONLY ONE WHO PRODUCES TECHNO AT 140bpm?

Post by Mattias »

Lost to the Void wrote:I find the idea of warming up to make it easier for the headline a bit...... wrong in some ways.

It`s the equivalent of running 700 meters of the 800 meter race with Usain Bolt on your back and then letting him finish.

I`ve always said in bookings, don`t warm up for me, just play cool interesting stuff.
No.
Music Page: http://www.facebook.com/Mattias.Fridell.Music
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/fridell
Sample packs: http://mfsamples.bandcamp.com

Contention / 005

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Lost to the Void wrote:No internet until december, I`m hijacking the neighbours wifi.

We have sorted most of the boxes now, so we have a living room mostly free of them. Mostly.
Got so much to do, decorating the living room first, paint it, build some cub shelving, then putting down laminate flooring, at the same time I got 2 studios to build, the production studio and then up in the loft, the mastering room (new desk arriving today for the production room). The loft is mostly done, just need to get the resonator panels in and then the walls are done, after that I order the speakers. My custom made amps arrived last week, they are fucking massive, which is not what I was expecting....

Fitted new appliances this week, so now we have a washing machine (and a fuck ton of washing) and manged to get the fridge freezer in to the larder.

Arguing over where to have the master bedroom at the moment, weirdly the missus is not fully convinced on my idea of converting the baby room in one of the bedrooms in to a walk in closet and dressing room....

So much shit to do... Builders coming round for quotes, putting a wet room in to the bathroom, knocking out some walls in the kitchen to have a dining space, possibly putting in a permanent staircase up to the mastering room, whole house needs painting inside, and laminate put down in every room (fucking hate carpet).

I`m basically going to have to head in to the missus office twice a week to upload and download client work for the mastering business until the net is all sorted. And I`ll be using the production setup to do the mastering until the dedicated mastering room is finished.
ow I can most certainly relate man !
you can't believe how much. :D
(well you do if you read some of my rambling the last few years)

be careful with laminate though : take only the high quality ones.
I prefer real wood myself, but I've installed laminate on my 1st floor (except for the studio which has a cork floor, same for the whole 2nd floor, both of which my cat is forbidden to go to, to avoid possible scratching problems)
and I'm almost 10 years later now and the laminate still looks almost new. But I know from a LOT of places where I saw bad quality laminate where it looks like total shit after not even 3 years. Good thing is you don't have kids, but yeah, I would start giving the mrs the evil eye from what you've been writing above :D ;)
Ow God, Steve being a dad, I actually can imagine that,
strangely enough ! :D

Also, in a case like yours, I might suggest putting the best "sound isolating" "foam" or whatever you call these in English (the stuff you put underneath your laminate before you put it on your floor), so that you have the least possible noise coming from every floor above you.
I have several layers of isolation between my 2nd floor and my 1st floor, and yet, whenever my kids get out of bed (2nd floor), I hear the little "boom boom booms" instantly where the master bedroom is (1st floor)...
(which can be a good thing on some occasions... :mrgreen: )
People told me to NOT install laminate in my studio, because it reflects sound so much, so I installed cork.
Obviously I'm pretty sure you've seriously investigated the sound isolating factor of the laminate you're gonna install, and compared those to the weather in the part of England you live in on an hourly basis. But yeah, I didn't go with the laminate in my studio (and I'm happy I didn't).

One last tip I can come up with : don't do everything IMMEDIATELY except for the things that you can't do later.
I know this sounds really stupid, but a friend of mine who bought his house a few years before mine, said that when you live in the place for a few months,
you will discover new stuff about it, and will change your idea's about things of which you were certain before...
for example : you will have painted your dining room in a certain colour (in my case : a gorgeous burgundy red),
and later on, you notice there is really not enough daylight, so all day it looked depressing untill the evening, where it looks only "fine" when you start turning on the lights and candles.
Eventually, a few years later, my mrs insisted on getting a slight blue/gray colour for the dining room when we needed to redo it anyway because our walls had to be injected against humid, and fucking everyone says it's soo much better. :)
And they are right, except I chose the burgundy :|
yeah yeah...

Oh yeah, and whenever you can't do something yourself and you do indeed need others to do the work for you : BE THERE ALL THE FUCKING TIME !!!!
I know you probably know this already, but I'm saying it again.
I was lucky enough to have enough off-days to plan the outsourced jobs.
But fuck me, they ALWAYS just try to cut corners everywhere.
I can't tell you how many times I've seen things that weren't done right but that I wouldn't have noticed untill maybe 2 to 10 years later,
if I wasn't there to inspect the works when they were taking place...

in any case, good luck man !

and put the washing machine in the middle of the studio btw : everyone knows it adds extra grit to recordings ! ;)
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Mattias wrote:
Lost to the Void wrote:I find the idea of warming up to make it easier for the headline a bit...... wrong in some ways.

It`s the equivalent of running 700 meters of the 800 meter race with Usain Bolt on your back and then letting him finish.

I`ve always said in bookings, don`t warm up for me, just play cool interesting stuff.
No.

in Sweden they get paid to shut up and get a fine for each word they say too much,
in Belgium we just get paid for each word we say...
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Mattias wrote:

No.
That`s a very cogent argument, well done.
The headline is there to do a job, if they need a leg up then they aren`t worth the money.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Hades wrote:
Lost to the Void wrote:No internet until december, I`m hijacking the neighbours wifi.

We have sorted most of the boxes now, so we have a living room mostly free of them. Mostly.
Got so much to do, decorating the living room first, paint it, build some cub shelving, then putting down laminate flooring, at the same time I got 2 studios to build, the production studio and then up in the loft, the mastering room (new desk arriving today for the production room). The loft is mostly done, just need to get the resonator panels in and then the walls are done, after that I order the speakers. My custom made amps arrived last week, they are fucking massive, which is not what I was expecting....

Fitted new appliances this week, so now we have a washing machine (and a fuck ton of washing) and manged to get the fridge freezer in to the larder.

Arguing over where to have the master bedroom at the moment, weirdly the missus is not fully convinced on my idea of converting the baby room in one of the bedrooms in to a walk in closet and dressing room....

So much shit to do... Builders coming round for quotes, putting a wet room in to the bathroom, knocking out some walls in the kitchen to have a dining space, possibly putting in a permanent staircase up to the mastering room, whole house needs painting inside, and laminate put down in every room (fucking hate carpet).

I`m basically going to have to head in to the missus office twice a week to upload and download client work for the mastering business until the net is all sorted. And I`ll be using the production setup to do the mastering until the dedicated mastering room is finished.
ow I can most certainly relate man !
you can't believe how much. :D
(well you do if you read some of my rambling the last few years)

be careful with laminate though : take only the high quality ones.
I prefer real wood myself, but I've installed laminate on my 1st floor (except for the studio which has a cork floor, same for the whole 2nd floor, both of which my cat is forbidden to go to, to avoid possible scratching problems)
and I'm almost 10 years later now and the laminate still looks almost new. But I know from a LOT of places where I saw bad quality laminate where it looks like total shit after not even 3 years. Good thing is you don't have kids, but yeah, I would start giving the mrs the evil eye from what you've been writing above :D ;)
Ow God, Steve being a dad, I actually can imagine that,
strangely enough ! :D

Also, in a case like yours, I might suggest putting the best "sound isolating" "foam" or whatever you call these in English (the stuff you put underneath your laminate before you put it on your floor), so that you have the least possible noise coming from every floor above you.
I have several layers of isolation between my 2nd floor and my 1st floor, and yet, whenever my kids get out of bed (2nd floor), I hear the little "boom boom booms" instantly where the master bedroom is (1st floor)...
(which can be a good thing on some occasions... :mrgreen: )
People told me to NOT install laminate in my studio, because it reflects sound so much, so I installed cork.
Obviously I'm pretty sure you've seriously investigated the sound isolating factor of the laminate you're gonna install, and compared those to the weather in the part of England you live in on an hourly basis. But yeah, I didn't go with the laminate in my studio (and I'm happy I didn't).

One last tip I can come up with : don't do everything IMMEDIATELY except for the things that you can't do later.
I know this sounds really stupid, but a friend of mine who bought his house a few years before mine, said that when you live in the place for a few months,
you will discover new stuff about it, and will change your idea's about things of which you were certain before...
for example : you will have painted your dining room in a certain colour (in my case : a gorgeous burgundy red),
and later on, you notice there is really not enough daylight, so all day it looked depressing untill the evening, where it looks only "fine" when you start turning on the lights and candles.
Eventually, a few years later, my mrs insisted on getting a slight blue/gray colour for the dining room when we needed to redo it anyway because our walls had to be injected against humid, and fucking everyone says it's soo much better. :)
And they are right, except I chose the burgundy :|
yeah yeah...

Oh yeah, and whenever you can't do something yourself and you do indeed need others to do the work for you : BE THERE ALL THE FUCKING TIME !!!!
I know you probably know this already, but I'm saying it again.
I was lucky enough to have enough off-days to plan the outsourced jobs.
But fuck me, they ALWAYS just try to cut corners everywhere.
I can't tell you how many times I've seen things that weren't done right but that I wouldn't have noticed untill maybe 2 to 10 years later,
if I wasn't there to inspect the works when they were taking place...

in any case, good luck man !

and put the washing machine in the middle of the studio btw : everyone knows it adds extra grit to recordings ! ;)
Yeah I`ve already looked in to getting the thickest underlay foam for the laminate.
Had wooden floor in the last place, well half the floors were wood, I like it, but too much hassle, other half were laminate. The laminate was less hassle, but yeah we do want to get decent quality.
Already know what colour we want the front room, not bothered about light as the house has light running all the way through, the plan is light floors, light ceiling, dark walls, the whole place is going to be a goth palace, as we are both very gothy (and prefer the dark). Adams Family/Hammer house of horror vibes throughout.

Mastering room is carpeted.
Production room I am undecided. Probably go with laminate and a rug here and there like the last place. Never had reflection problems.

Yeah builders will not be left alone. Whatever work needs done I am going to help out anyway, to reduce labor costs.

We have a timeline, nothing in a hurry, studios need to be up and running ASAP, but done properly. Front room decorated by december, after that we just deal with things as we decide on where to go with them.

No holidays for a while..... I`m not even sure if I should be taking gig bookings really but some have come along I can`t really pass up.
New Shit

Mattias
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mattias »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Mattias wrote:

No.
That`s a very cogent argument, well done.
The headline is there to do a job, if they need a leg up then they aren`t worth the money.
I felt you didn't need a better answer since your assumption was so poor to start with ;)
Try again, the warm ups are not there to make the life of the headliner(S) easier, that much I can reveal.

Contention / 005

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Being a headline can be the easiest job in the room if everyone has already done all the work.

As you know, the crowd makes the party as much as the performer.

Warmed up enough, you could amplify a generator and the right crowd would go nuts.

My background is in multiroom illegal raves, where the people got in for free or paid very little, and had a choice of 6, 7, 10 soundsystems, so where very itchy and easy to move on to another room. You really had to learn how to read and grab your audience quick.

No one needs a warm up if they are good at what they do. If they do, they have no place headlining.
It`s a stupid trope, and it holds techno in a very cliche and boring mode, in party terms in my opinion.

Sure don`t start the night with 200bpm gabba, but other than that, just play good music.

I don`t understand all the panic and the worry.
You`ve been at it long enough to have a headline set where you come to a room where for some reason the energy is dead, or different to what you want right?
Do you cry like a baby and blame the guy before you or do you see it as a challenge and just do your thing.
In my opinion, those gigs are the best ones, you have to actually work for your money.

I did a gig in the Ukraine where the whole party got busted by the drugs police.
Balaclavas, guns, EVERYONE up against the wall, the whole club.. 5 Rooms, shit loads of police, everyone getting searched, they even checked the till receipts something about tax. People were getting proper gripped up, i was the only who escaped rough treatment because as soon as i flashed a uk passport the guys approaching me backed off, told me to go sit on a table in the corner of the room and keep out of the way. People wanted to come and sit with me, because i became a safe zone.
They dragged 2 DJ`s out, literally, by their throats, because they were using CDR`s!!!!

So after this fiasco, that was like, nearly 2 hours. The promoters wanted me to play!!!
Imagine that for a warm up, dj`s dragged out, everyone searched and roughed up, guns, balaclavas.....
I have a house PA I play occasionally so I decided to start with that, no way leading off into dark broken stuff after that shit was a good idea.
No one was in the mood to party. But I played some really uplifting housey stuff, worked up to really hard angry broken dark techno, and got the place alive again.

if I can fucking do that, then regardless of who plays before them, anyone should be able to do their job properly.

Warming up for the headline is tantamount to giving them a blowjob. Just play your music and don`t worry about them.
New Shit

Wiu
Slowy J

Post by Wiu »

Seriously, drop some Nasenbluten or something equally angry mid set. Just fucking throw it in for a minute or so mid set. Seeing a bunch of fucking hipsters that normally sort of just stand about shuffling along at 128bpm trying to look cool panic for a minute or so would make my fucking night as a DJ.

youtu.be/DiFdpn03MdM
Thank you for the laughs, debate, new music found, production tips etc etc over the years. I wish Subsekt and everyone all the best for the future. Wiu.

Stace
Classical Approach

Post by Stace »

Crikey :lol:

Mattias
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mattias »

We're still talking about warm up deejays right? That's a club thing, not a illegal warehouse / rave thing.

Their job is still not to make to easy for the headline acts.

Contention / 005

Dust Layer
leper

Post by Dust Layer »

And what about the closing dj?
At a lot of nights the guy closing is not the headliner (mostly for not so big parties with only 1 "real" headliner)

If warm up is a key thing, what is closing up?

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Mattias wrote:We're still talking about warm up deejays right? That's a club thing, not a illegal warehouse / rave thing.

Their job is still not to make to easy for the headline acts.
I`m not sure if it is a club thing as oppose to a warehouse thing, it`s just a dumb ass thing.

Essentially it is, for all sense and purposes making the headline acts job easier. Hence the term Warm Up. It is the opposite of a cold start.

"Here you go, I warmed them up for you"
"Cheers servant, now fuck off and get me some cocain".

Some Big names even have specific tunes on their riders that they say other people aren`t allowed to play. Dumb as fuck.

Dance music can be so prissy sometimes, for a bunch of people playing other peoples music, things can get terribly precious.

Bunch of bloody Divas.

Real men don`t need a warm up, they just spit on their palms and dive in.
New Shit

Mattias
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mattias »

You're out sailing, you have no idea what you're talking about here obviously.
However I see it won't be necessary to tell you though, since you're so massively enlightened and your experience and knowledge applies to all situations, all people, anywhere and everywhere. I managed to forget that.

Contention / 005

surface
Balance

Post by surface »

...hmmm. I'm confused. What's the point of this thread?! ..

Pelecaras
Lifer

Post by Pelecaras »

surface wrote:...hmmm. I'm confused. What's the point of this thread?! ..
Me too mate. My OP was about tempo and this seems to have led to a discussion about the job of a warm up DJ.

I think it's safe to say that we all have different opinions..which is a good thing I reckon.
FUCK-WIT

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Essentially.
Some men are men, and go in hard.

Some aren`t and need fluffers and viagra.

There is no point of any thread, this is subsekt, where everything is destined for derailment.

Subsekt keeps the spirit of British Rail alive.
New Shit

surface
Balance

Post by surface »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Essentially.
Some men are men, and go in hard.
Some aren`t and need fluffers and viagra.

There is no point of any thread, this is subsekt, where everything is destined for derailment.

Subsekt keeps the spirit of British Rail alive.
Haha, go hard or go home! ..

Mattias
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mattias »

Pretty much.

Especially the British rail part ;)

Contention / 005

bergertron
site spammer

Post by bergertron »

Dust Layer wrote:And what about the closing dj?
At a lot of nights the guy closing is not the headliner (mostly for not so big parties with only 1 "real" headliner)

If warm up is a key thing, what is closing up?
In Ireland there is no such thing as a closing DJ because closing time is about 1.30am outside of Dublin and Dublin not so much later.
So your limited people generally only go to clubs for 2hrs unless the warm up djs are any good.

And your charge at least 20 euros!

surface
Balance

Post by surface »

More like 02:30, but still waaay too early.

I remember going to Transmediale festival in Berlin a few years back when they opened up WMF for a week. One night there was a closing DJ banging out DnB but it was pretty sad. Everyone fucked off once the 'main event' was finished.
No point flogging a dead horse ..