Moving past the immediate synthesizer sounds - how?

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
Plyphon
endless
Moving past the immediate synthesizer sounds - how?

Post by Plyphon »

Hello,

So this has began to bug me more and more recently -

I can use the subtractive synths I own fairly well. I understand what each function does and how to make a sound, and how to make all "the classic" synthesizer type sounds (dub chords, house chords, 90's pads, Detroit basses, etc etc etc).

Then i listen to a track from a pro and really, the sounds they're getting from their synths sound so much more unique and, bizarrely, not like they really are coming from a synthesizer. Or at least, not coming from the same set of controls I have on my synths. Yet I know they're using synths as they do gear checks or whatever.

So what am I missing? is it in the EQ? Distortion? Other FX? Other types of synths?

It's really bugging me to be honest, just when I thought I had my sound design down I feel back to square one again trying to escape having my synths sounding exactly how a synth sounds.

Can anyone give me some tips to try? Ways create danceable tones that mask the origin or have a unique output? How do you make a square wave chord not sound like a square wave chord? And so on.

I'll add at the moment I'm coming from a house perspective at the moment, but still well into my techno m8.

Cheers!

sergiobR1
Wastedddd
Re: Moving past the immediate synthesizer sounds - how?

Post by sergiobR1 »

give me a track to listen
we speak of art with flaming passion
then do work void of compassion
and wonder why reality is bleeding fiction

Plyphon
endless

Post by Plyphon »

If I'm honest, I didn't include any tracks as I didn't want to limit the thread to one particular sound, or seem like I was making a "how to make this sound" type thread.

Rather I was hoping/aiming for a more general "what processes should I be looking at to make unique, danceable sounds from synths"

Cheers

willemb
Mild

Post by willemb »

Resampling immediately springs to mind

SquareTheCircle
quasi-public

Post by SquareTheCircle »

Plyphon wrote:Rather I was hoping/aiming for a more general "what processes should I be looking at to make unique, danceable sounds from synths"
define unique. What is unique to me may have been heard before. So just do what feels right.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
BandCamp: https://jonathanhart.bandcamp.com
SoundCloud WIPS: https://soundcloud.com/djsquarethecircle
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Welllllll, really your now getting down in to the nitty gritty of how individuals define their own sound.
In this case I don`t know many people who are going to tell you how they do their mojo. I'm certainly not.

This is the point now, if you have basic control over your synthesis and sound design, to define yourself, your sound, your combination of ingredients.
Time to experiment and experiment, no one can really help you do that, you have to just do it, you have the tools.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

KlockerBen
crud

Post by KlockerBen »

Are you using effects on them or just the dry sound? Maybe a stupid question but that could be what is lacking

Ttinga
Normality Restored

Post by Ttinga »

Plyphon wrote:Hello,

So this has began to bug me more and more recently -

I can use the subtractive synths I own fairly well. I understand what each function does and how to make a sound, and how to make all "the classic" synthesizer type sounds (dub chords, house chords, 90's pads, Detroit basses, etc etc etc).

Then i listen to a track from a pro and really, the sounds they're getting from their synths sound so much more unique and, bizarrely, not like they really are coming from a synthesizer. Or at least, not coming from the same set of controls I have on my synths. Yet I know they're using synths as they do gear checks or whatever.

So what am I missing? is it in the EQ? Distortion? Other FX? Other types of synths?

It's really bugging me to be honest, just when I thought I had my sound design down I feel back to square one again trying to escape having my synths sounding exactly how a synth sounds.

Can anyone give me some tips to try? Ways create danceable tones that mask the origin or have a unique output? How do you make a square wave chord not sound like a square wave chord? And so on.

I'll add at the moment I'm coming from a house perspective at the moment, but still well into my techno m8.

Cheers!
I think I know where you are coming from and what you are getting at. Very rarely do I have a synth just straight playing off a midi track in one of my songs, even effected. Most synths I use have to be resampled, layered, effected, and generally fucked every which way etc. An exception might be some synths that have complex modulation built in or additive stuff. I think the key is that you want movement and change in your sounds, to keep them interesting. Most basic synth sounds have been done to death so to make them interesting you have to take it to the next level. Like Willem said - resampling is one of the easiest ways to do this.

Mslwte
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mslwte »

willemb wrote:Resampling immediately springs to mind
Same here! Add to that "experimenting to fuck" and "happy accidents"
https://soundcloud.com/mslwte
https://noizefacilityrecords.bandcamp.com
https://www.instagram.com/subsekt909
https://www.facebook.com/subsekt909/
Lost to the Void wrote:Fuck off, get some tequila down ya neck and make some noise you cunt....

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

+1 for resampling and layering. Also, differing types of synthesis, subtractive is so boring sometimes. Granular, additive, hybrid synthesis techniques I find need far less fucking around with.

KlockerBen
crud

Post by KlockerBen »

You just gotta try out things man, don't compare it to hard with others. If it sounds good to you, why bother? Unless you're making music to make shitloads of money. Musics about trying things out, don't get frustrated if it doesn't sound good, begin again and eventually you'll get better. All about havig fun man :)

Plyphon
endless

Post by Plyphon »

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Lost to the Void wrote:Welllllll, really your now getting down in to the nitty gritty of how individuals define their own sound.
In this case I don`t know many people who are going to tell you how they do their mojo. I'm certainly not.

I guess the use of the word "unique" was misplaced, i certainly don't expect anyone to come on and tell me their secrets,
This is the point now, if you have basic control over your synthesis and sound design, to define yourself, your sound, your combination of ingredients.
Time to experiment and experiment, no one can really help you do that, you have to just do it, you have the tools.

I guess this was more the point - do I have the tools? What are the tools? To answer another question in the thread, I don't just play a dry synth, I usually have some EQ and tape emulation on there, delays etc, but the sound stills sound very much "like a synth, just with some EQ and delay" or whatever.

Interestingly, a lot of you mentioned (re)sampling. Recently I've tried to move away from sampling as I felt like it kind of restricted what I could play in a musical sense, in that - you'd sample your chord and then you're stuck in that chord and its transpositions. I guess you could go ahead and sample another chord for your progression, but I can't think of a way to jam with both samples in an easy sense. Is there a better way to sample? Sample just notes or somthing and build chords afterwards?

Cheers all :)

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

Maybe you're thinking too musically. Try thinking about really fucking sounds up, more timbre and texture than tuning.

Plyphon
endless

Post by Plyphon »

I sometimes have sessions going nuts with camelphat etc, but often end up with an unusable mess rather than anything with usable harmonics haha!

Mono-xID
Uumfääng

Post by Mono-xID »

Plyphon wrote:do I have the tools? What are the tools?
Most of 'em are already included in your DAW of choice.
http://soundcloud.com/monoxid

Behringer = ARTS label of synths

Mattias
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mattias »

Plyphon wrote:If I'm honest, I didn't include any tracks as I didn't want to limit the thread to one particular sound, or seem like I was making a "how to make this sound" type thread.

Rather I was hoping/aiming for a more general "what processes should I be looking at to make unique, danceable sounds from synths"
Still could be interesting to hear several examples. We all feel / interpret things differently.

I tend to get question relate to your topic a lot for some reason. "How do I get the sound beyond the traditional synth sounds?" sort of thing. Truly tough to answer as there are no easy answer. Best way to go on about it is to use my favorite phrase;

"Once you learned what is right, it's time to exploit the faults" and in your cause it sounds like you got the basics of synths nailed down. Start to destroy that ;)
Music Page: http://www.facebook.com/Mattias.Fridell.Music
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/fridell
Sample packs: http://mfsamples.bandcamp.com

Contention / 005

sergiobR1
Wastedddd

Post by sergiobR1 »

it's not about FX, it's about sounds, give us an example of a track dude !!!

could be something analog with layers of sounds idk, you need to learn more about sound design.

the door is open man, you need to enter, no one can make you enter.
we speak of art with flaming passion
then do work void of compassion
and wonder why reality is bleeding fiction

ashley BORG
Small Penis

Post by ashley BORG »

Another one here for layering. I think the character which can be achieved from layering 2 different synths or drum kits can lead to real interesting results.
Also don't rule out using resampling as a way of layering your sounds either. I'm sure it's a far more useful way of adding "unique" textures, and likely a lot less CPU intensive.

gedda
Metric Martyr

Post by gedda »

layer your synths, go to max live, layer your subtractive synth with your favorite wavetable synth, link the filters, make a chord, eq it, put it in saturation, and so on....

BG++
rescued

Post by BG++ »

Re resampling . Ive been having some joy recently by writing out full synth patterns , automations , effects etc.. and resampling the whole thing . This way youre not restricted to sampling just the one chord . Ive even gone as far as doing this with all the parts of a track that sounds finished and they have gone from sounding quite classic and generic to having a bit more character and depth . I find the experimentation at this stage is by far the most enjoyable part of making a track once the donkey work is done .