Elektron ANALOG RYTM user topic

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
UN!T B
pregnant
Re: Elektron RYTM user topic

Post by UN!T B »

AlexSting wrote: Ah now I understand what you're doing. Too bad elektron can't provide a solution for that. I bet it's a hardware problem!
I am not so sure that it is a hardware problem. I suspect its a code problem. How the machine deals with an incoming program change message. It works some times just not all the time. I really would prefer that its a code problem because then it can be fixed. If its some type of problem with the hardware itself then I am fucked. If its code it can be fixed... hopefully.

Can you remember how you created stereo information with the AR? The only possibilities I know are:
- LFO to Pan-Pot (sometimes lame)
- Reverb/ ping-pong delay
- Static panning for each instrument
In Ableton Live I know many tricks for widening the stereo field but they won't work with the rytm.
As far as I am aware these are the only 3 ways I know of. If I come up with something else I will let you know.
Yeah I have already tried that. I've got a KORG PadKontrol but it's useless for this method. When I control the mute section with it the padkontrol won't offer visual feedback (Is the track muted or not?). For the performance section I'd need a controller with aftertouch.

Ahh. What you need a device that supports bidirectional midi communication. Something that updates in realtime and displays whats happening on the other end. An ipad with lemur could be an idea solution plus you can add Strom too.
Maybe I should get myself a mixing desk with mute buttons. An iPad could be interesting, too. Have you tried STROM for iPad?
No I haven't bothered with Strom yet. I have enough to keep me busy right now. I will get round to it at some point.

If I was going to use the AR as a stand alone it would look something like this.
AR,
Effects-eventide space/timefactor/modfactor, EHX 45000 (4 channel looping pedal)
ipad
mixing board
I would be really hard pressed not to add a mono synth and a poly synth on each midi port and send them clock.

No I have not used it as of yet.
Hades wrote: stop being such a total dick, honestly.

G-Nova
Suspect Handshake

Post by G-Nova »

MD is a real killer too, the two go together really well together it, the must is to avor these two machines ...

I also have some bugs with the RA some point he cracks and loses sync ... This is the only bug home.

Same scenes I did not delve too much into it, it looks pretty good for live use but since I only used in fashion composition, this mode is a bit unknown to me.

I'll wait for the overbridge and see what happens, if it's not good, I revendrais and to spend as VSt FXepansion FXpansion Geist coupled with Tremor or Rob Papen Punch comic is latter to drum construction unlike Geist who types it in the manipulation of samples. I think it will be more work from my perspective ...

Thank you willemb it looks interresant this software, I'm going to test :)

karwa
Face Hugger

Post by karwa »

Memememe! I own a Rytm! Probably a bit late to the party.
G-Nova wrote: Same scenes I did not delve too much into it, it looks pretty good for live use but since I only used in fashion composition, this mode is a bit unknown to me.
I didn't bother with them either before but they can be an awesome composition tool. It's just great fun to point your whole sound in another direction at the press of a button (or just perform simple tasks like hi-passing the kick).

What I'm wondering is, how you guys arrange using the rytm? Do you set up program changes in ableton or just jam in sync? That's the part where I'm a bit stuck...

blackmetalblackmetalblackmetalblack

AlexSting
non reader

Post by AlexSting »

karwa wrote: What I'm wondering is, how you guys arrange using the rytm? Do you set up program changes in ableton or just jam in sync? That's the part where I'm a bit stuck...
As I don't use DAWs at the moment (only for recording and rough mixing/mastering) I don't have to sync it. I just got one pattern per track and arrange it with the mute and performance section. I also have a KAOSSPAD for fx and sampling. If you read the earlier discussion about how to make transitions between patterns you can also get an idea of how to arrange tracks there. ;-)

UN!T B
pregnant

Post by UN!T B »

AlexSting wrote: As I don't use DAWs at the moment (only for recording and rough mixing/mastering) I don't have to sync it. I just got one pattern per track and arrange it with the mute and performance section. I also have a KAOSSPAD for fx and sampling. If you read the earlier discussion about how to make transitions between patterns you can also get an idea of how to arrange tracks there. ;-)
I noticed you have a Novation Remote of some sort on your site. You could use that. It can contain several different channels in different slots. You would need to download the Novation Remote editor and make a template. Duplicate it 12 times and then load it into the Novation. It should display the values on the screen the AR sends out all its values as CC's. It might take a bit of work to get it right, but once its done it should be rock solid. I have a Remote Zero and its an ugly as hell plastic piece of shit but I'll be damned it it isn't the most useful plastic piece of shit ever. Works with synths, Ableton, Reaktor, ectra... the list goes on.

AlexSting
non reader

Post by AlexSting »

UN!T B wrote: I noticed you have a Novation Remote of some sort on your site. You could use that. It can contain several different channels in different slots. You would need to download the Novation Remote editor and make a template. Duplicate it 12 times and then load it into the Novation. It should display the values on the screen the AR sends out all its values as CC's. It might take a bit of work to get it right, but once its done it should be rock solid. I have a Remote Zero and its an ugly as hell plastic piece of shit but I'll be damned it it isn't the most useful plastic piece of shit ever. Works with synths, Ableton, Reaktor, ectra... the list goes on.
HAHA damn I should have deleted that page already... Not up to date anymore. Got no idea why I'm still paying for the domain :oops: But thanks for the tip anyway - will try that out soon. As you've already pointed out the Novation SL stuff is nothing more but cheap plastic - that's why I don't touch it that often (only use the keys when producing with Ableton). The 25SL is still fucking expensive so it should be okay to give it another try.

unknw cnstltn
tense

Post by unknw cnstltn »

i got a rytm.. but i think to re-sell it, to get the tempest

good idea??

AlexSting
non reader

Post by AlexSting »

unknw cnstltn wrote:i got a rytm.. but i think to re-sell it, to get the tempest

good idea??
These two machines are commonly compared with each other. I think it depends on your personal taste. I've heard both - people who prefer the rytm and those who favour the tempest..

Why do you tend to sell your AR? Because of the previously mentioned bugs or don't you like the sound?

UN!T B
pregnant

Post by UN!T B »

unknw cnstltn wrote:i got a rytm.. but i think to re-sell it, to get the tempest

good idea??
I dunno....

Try one of these here threads.

http://www.vintagesynth.com/forum/viewt ... 18&t=77840

http://forum.watmm.com/topic/83714-elek ... i-tempest/

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... 57d4b89357

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electro ... ktron.html

http://www.elektronauts.com/topics/view/6198

...or get both.... That's what I did.

UN!T B
pregnant

Post by UN!T B »

AlexSting wrote:
HAHA damn I should have deleted that page already... Not up to date anymore. Got no idea why I'm still paying for the domain :oops: But thanks for the tip anyway - will try that out soon. As you've already pointed out the Novation SL stuff is nothing more but cheap plastic - that's why I don't touch it that often (only use the keys when producing with Ableton). The 25SL is still fucking expensive so it should be okay to give it another try.
Well the site benefitted you here just now, so there is that. :D

nomadjames
mummy!!

Post by nomadjames »

This thing is my next purchase after I upgrade my soundcard. Wish there was somewhere within 500 miles I could play with one though. Never tried any Elektron gear.
www.soundcloud.com/nomadjames

"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over." - Hunter S. Thompson

www.nomadjames.com

Pittsburgh Ableton
www.facebook.com/groups/558333351022659

saikofarmaka
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by saikofarmaka »

I sold my tempest to buy a Rytm/Analogkeys. Didn't really fell in love with the sound. I Learned a lot about creating drum sounds from scratch though. Rytm is easier to use.

nomadjames
mummy!!

Post by nomadjames »

That is what I noticed watching comparison videos. How long have you had it? What do you think of the sound now? How do you feel about your purchase?

"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over." - Hunter S. Thompson

www.nomadjames.com

Pittsburgh Ableton

nomadjames
mummy!!

Post by nomadjames »

Do any of you guys have any music you made with a Rytm that I could check out?

www.nomadjames.com

Pittsburgh Ableton

saikofarmaka
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by saikofarmaka »

I had it for 12 months.

I am very happy. It feels really nice to have analog keys/rytm/octatrack. They have the same layout so I can now focus on making simple stuff quick, but also dig deeper if I want.

Maybe I just want to jam little on the analog keys, I bring it to the living room, hook it up there and just have fun.

Tonight, I am sampling chord stabs on the keys to bring it into octatrack.

I had some problems creating kicks with Tempest. It is possible but I felt I was putting so much time to create something i liked and then when I wanted to change something it was never really easy to do that. With Rytm it's like: Oh, I need to pitch the kick down and lower the decay, boom! done.

Maybe the Tempest sound more unique, I don't know.

If I had the octatrack at the same time I had Tempest, it might have been a different story.

Tempest is like Analogfour and Analog Rytm in one box. But with 6 voices instead of 12. But again, they sound very different.

Don't take this too serious tough. Read and look at demos.

nomadjames
mummy!!

Post by nomadjames »

Oh I got you! I thought you were referring to the Rytm, not the Tempest! That is exactly what I have seen looking at the comparison videos, it seemed way more difficult to get to the sound you wanted on the Tempest, and the approximation was smaller than what you got quickly with the Rytm. I am looking to get the trinity like you have eventually, feel in love with the Octa watching Andy Stott use one at Moogfest...

www.nomadjames.com

Pittsburgh Ableton

saikofarmaka
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by saikofarmaka »

My advice would be to get one first and get to know it really good.

If you start with the Octatrack, the Rytm and A4/keys will be very easy to learn.

Heard people question if you really need an Octatrack when Overbridge is released. Time will tell..

nomadjames
mummy!!

Post by nomadjames »

Yeah, I'm going for the Rytm first...It woulld be neat to see an Octatrack 2 come out with overbridge.

www.nomadjames.com

Pittsburgh Ableton

nomadjames
mummy!!

Post by nomadjames »

Post up something you've made with it! I want to hear one used in context of something that isn't total garbage like all the videos I have watched.

www.nomadjames.com

Pittsburgh Ableton

UN!T B
pregnant

Post by UN!T B »

I am pretty sure that Elektron has stated "There is not going to be an Octatrack 2 in the near future."