Hybrid setup discussion (signal flow)

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
Barfunkel
Smalahove
Re: Hybrid setup discussion (signal flow)

Post by Barfunkel »

I don't find Derrick May's tracks boring, on the contrary. I hardly even buy any modern techno records anymore, I find them so boring. Sounds like the producers spend their energy on EQ'ing and doing little automation tricks, instead of spending it on things that really matter (well, matter to me anyways). A boring techno loop doesn't become a classic just because the reverb is automated.
"I don't shower every day, but when I do, I do it after listening to some Barfunkel" - Anonymous

http://soundcloud.com/user4904810
http://www.mixcloud.com/Barfunkel/

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Barfunkel wrote:I don't find Derrick May's tracks boring, on the contrary. I hardly even buy any modern techno records anymore, I find them so boring. Sounds like the producers spend their energy on EQ'ing and doing little automation tricks, instead of spending it on things that really matter (well, matter to me anyways). A boring techno loop doesn't become a classic just because the reverb is automated.

I think you're listening to the wrong kind of modern techno.

I really don't like the type of techno you describe (and I think I know exactly what you mean).
You probably mean the "dark big room techno" that's become so much in fashion nowadays.
Bumcode and sorts.

But I'm sorry, pretty much all of Derrick May's tracks sound completely boring to me.
I don't care if people consider the guy a legend or not.
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

anyway, I don't want to turn this into a Derrick May discussion.
I can't even check youtube at work anymore (to look for examples of his tracks) cause the IT idiots here have changed all our computers and now youtube is completely blocked, even with https instead of http in front.
fucking sucks big time.

God damn IT cunts, they change your whole computer, I needed about 2 hours to put it all back like I was used to working (big thing for me considering I need about 15 different internet pages and about 7 different programs to do my job, one needs to have a certain order if you want to manouvre fast around all those things while handling urgent stuff)

And then they still haven't installed everything you need, so I'm currently working on 3 different computers with 2 screens each, changing between left-hand mousing and right-hand mousing constantly.
And then when yet another program doesn't work, you finally call them, some newbie goes "can you open a ticket for that"
I say "dude, night guys don't open tickets, we can't put ourselves in break, we don't have time for that" (wouldn't even know where to find the dumb ticket system.
I emailed the guy the problem, asked him "what are ya gonna do about it ?"
reply : "tonight, most likely nothing".

I mean, basically I can't give support to some pretty serious companies cause our IT guys first fuck it up and then don't wanna try and fix it cause it's night.
Damn man, this job just gets worse and worse every night.

OHADOHAD
decent

Post by OHADOHAD »

well done with the 'IT guys are cunts' post! 8-)

Anyway, regarding EQ it's pretty simple.
because of the way it is set up now, I can Eq/compress every channel on ableton (everything first coming from ableton or going to ableton), I can process each Bus (drums/synths and fx) on Ableton because they are also going back to ableton.
And, I can process the stereo mix because that is coming out of ableton and what i am listening to on my monitors. :geek:
Of course i can also Eq every channel on the Mackie mixer, but tbh I'm not a big fan of their Eq so coming already Eq'd from ableton is cool.. and i can always add more from the mixer if needed.
When i Record, i can do volume 'automation' on the mixer faders, but that of course will be only recorded on the busses and master audio files (which is cool, because that way i have the stems of every channel before automation and processing).
I hope it makes sense.. anyway i still want to find the time and make a proper diagram.
No Bass Lines For Me!

innovine
hmmmmmm...

Post by innovine »

Hades wrote:God damn IT cunts
God damn user cunts, you spend a full month trying to sort out the load balancer to handle qos traffic on the bridge between your vlans, and the fuckers just keep on playing YouTube videos to listen to shitty music. You tell them not to, but do they listen? Then you add blocks, but instead of doing their job, the little cunts spend their time working out ways to get around your blocks. Then they open a fucking ticket because some remote network service keeps timing out. Stupid cunts.

OHADOHAD
decent

Post by OHADOHAD »

:roll: Hybrid cunts, all of us! :ugeek:
No Bass Lines For Me!

OHADOHAD
decent

Post by OHADOHAD »

I was bored at work... 8-)
So like i promised, here is my studio setup at the moment.. hope it's clear
No Bass Lines For Me!

Mslwte
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mslwte »

Barfunkel wrote:I don't find Derrick May's tracks boring, on the contrary. I hardly even buy any modern techno records anymore, I find them so boring. Sounds like the producers spend their energy on EQ'ing and doing little automation tricks, instead of spending it on things that really matter (well, matter to me anyways). A boring techno loop doesn't become a classic just because the reverb is automated.
Fo sho mofo!
https://soundcloud.com/mslwte
https://noizefacilityrecords.bandcamp.com
https://www.instagram.com/subsekt909
https://www.facebook.com/subsekt909/
Lost to the Void wrote:Fuck off, get some tequila down ya neck and make some noise you cunt....

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

innovine wrote:
Hades wrote:God damn IT cunts
God damn user cunts, you spend a full month trying to sort out the load balancer to handle qos traffic on the bridge between your vlans, and the fuckers just keep on playing YouTube videos to listen to shitty music. You tell them not to, but do they listen? Then you add blocks, but instead of doing their job, the little cunts spend their time working out ways to get around your blocks. Then they open a fucking ticket because some remote network service keeps timing out. Stupid cunts.
haha.
at least you're a working IT cunt.
the IT cunts I have to deal with are barely out of their dipers, and act as if we're supposed to treat them like gods.
They don't know half of the programs I talk about, and when I refer to our "startpage" (which is the main page we get like 40 different links from), they don't know what I'm talking about.

And of course they have to assume every person that calls them is some idiot that doesn't know how to work with a pc,
I can get that, cause some of my daytime colleagues are dumb as fuck,
but please, dear IT cunts, let's for once, assume I know what I'm talking about since you don't even get the programs and internet pages I refer to,
and I have been working there for 10+ years.
IF I have called them, you can be damn sure I have tried every other possible way to solve the problem first,
cause the last thing I wanna waste my time with is calling those cunts.

They're getting paid to be on guard.
It's MY job to dispatch work out.
It's THEIR job to make sure my system works.
They're getting paid to be onguard, for christ sakes.

Create a fucking ticket ??
Fuck off IT cunt, I'm handling 3 to 6 different lines at the same time, using approx 15 different internet pages, and about 6 different programs, 5 excelsheets, and a bunch of other stuff.
And I'm still looking at 50 faxes of orders to process in the next 2 hours.
You seriously think I have time to "create a ticket" ?
Creating tickets is what supervisors do during daytimes when there are about 15 people doing the same work 1 person does at night time.

I can get your point about youtube, but trust me, it's not as if I'm on youtube when it's actually busy.
I don't have the time for that shit at all.

Or am I supposed to think it's normal they can just change your computer and don't bother to see if all applications and links work ??
Hell yeah, just erase all our private links to customers sites that we nicely ordered in our favourites page cause that's the easiest way to find them back.
And while you're at it, just delete the link to our startpage as well, cause there's only like 40+ important links there,
and sure, replace it with our company's main info page with some nice pics of the last company trip to some fucking amusement park.
That totally makes sense !
That REALLY helps to make my job soooo much easier !!!

Thank you VERY FUCKING MUCH IT CUNTS !!!!!! :evil:

innovine
hmmmmmm...

Post by innovine »

Internet rant ftw. I can see why they are falling over themselves to help you :)

oddmyth
Anba

Post by oddmyth »

Hades wrote: Create a fucking ticket ??
Fuck off IT cunt, I'm handling 3 to 6 different lines at the same time, using approx 15 different internet pages, and about 6 different programs, 5 excelsheets, and a bunch of other stuff.
And I'm still looking at 50 faxes of orders to process in the next 2 hours.
You seriously think I have time to "create a ticket" ?
Creating tickets is what supervisors do during daytimes when there are about 15 people doing the same work 1 person does at night time.
Create a ticket or enjoy explaining your problem to each successive IT person who is attempting to help you.
That's the purpose of creating a ticket, so your problem can be elevated to the person who has the knowledge to help you.

In larger organizations that's how things get done. Getting some tier 1 nub on the phone while you frantically try to explain your problem isn't going to help anyone.

Calm down, submit the ticket, then phone them and tell them to escalate.

You don't have time? You are wasting time by doing it any other way.
Cue 3 2013 - Devil's Advocate.

See what this is all about at oddmyth.ca

OHADOHAD
decent

Post by OHADOHAD »

HELLOOOOOOO! IT people and Users suck! :evil:
Check out my diagram will ya! :lol:
No Bass Lines For Me!

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

Hades wrote: Fuck off IT cunt, I'm handling 3 to 6 different lines at the same time, using approx 15 different internet pages, and about 6 different programs, 5 excelsheets, and writing a 6000 word post on Subsekt, and a bunch of other stuff.
Fixed that for you.
oddmyth wrote: That's the purpose of creating a ticket, so your problem can be elevated to the person who has the knowledge to help you.
And the all important audit trail of blame ;)

OHADOHAD wrote:HELLOOOOOOO! IT people and Users suck! :evil:
Ha ha... you can tell you're new here. Once your thread has gone through a Subsekt derail, it ain't coming back. May as well say goodbye to your diagram. You ain't getting that time back.

BandoftheHand
rescued

Post by BandoftheHand »

Planar wrote:
Hades wrote: Fuck off IT cunt, I'm handling 3 to 6 different lines at the same time, using approx 15 different internet pages, and about 6 different programs, 5 excelsheets, and writing a 6000 word post on Subsekt, and a bunch of other stuff.
Fixed that for you.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

What do you call a derailed topic that isnt derailing particularly fast?

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

oddmyth wrote: Create a ticket or enjoy explaining your problem to each successive IT person who is attempting to help you.
That's the purpose of creating a ticket, so your problem can be elevated to the person who has the knowledge to help you.

In larger organizations that's how things get done. Getting some tier 1 nub on the phone while you frantically try to explain your problem isn't going to help anyone.

Calm down, submit the ticket, then phone them and tell them to escalate.

You don't have time? You are wasting time by doing it any other way.
Please people, try not to think about normal working conditions, forget about all those.

Yes indeed, what happens over here at this company is this : under normal circumstances, during daytime, a supervisor (who is over here btw the only person who actually has access to their ticket system) opens a ticket.
We, the nightshift crew, gotta deal with a LOT at the same time. We can't (no access) and won't (no time) ever create a ticket at night-time.

Trust me, I have been doing well over 100.000 calls and tons of mails, faxes,... whatever over the years.
I know what stress is.
Obviously I'm pissed off at these guys, but trust me when I say this that I know better than to only let them know I'm... let's say "slightly" irritated. I don't bother to get angry at these people, it's no use.
There are many ways to get a message across without having to use any insulting words.
They're not helping me cause they don't understand the slightest thing about the impact their shit-job has on my work and because they are too lazy, not because I placed some angry call, because the 2x I called them, I was always professional and friendly. It was only when the 2nd night in a row I was asked to open a ticket that I get annoyed, and the only thing I did was try to explain this was an urgent issue with a lot of impact for our job and our customers. The only thing I did was give nice long sigh and let the thing be cause the dude wasn't getting it anyway.
I just figured "one more night like this, tomorrow they will solve the problem".

The thing is, if something goes wrong with one of my systems during my shift, I must call these people, and they must help me.
It's my responsibility to call them, just like it's their responsibility to help me.
Tickets are for the daytime people, who can go to their supervisor, who can just log out or put himself in break and create the damn ticket.
This is exactly what happened 3 days ago, and what did they do ?
They answered that the person who's in charge of that computer is on holiday. He would be back on monday though. :lol:
Monday night NOTHING had been done to solve any of the multiple issues I'm having, and yet another new and urgent issue comes up, so I call them and they go "create a ticket", I explain that's impossible for us (and if they had any brains they would know this, every old-time IT guy in our company knows this and would never ask us the question) and mail them the problem (because let's face it, what's the fucking difference between a MAIL with a description of the problem and a TICKET with the description of the problem. Both are just pieces of text with a problem description, they just look a litte different)
The guy responded to my email from 2:00AM at 9:49 AM, saying :" we ran some tests, it works fine here."
woopdedidoo, great support, and so fast :lol:

For fuck's sake (yes, I'm swearing a lot, but you have to understand my current frustration), my supervisors had to open again another ticket today (after I emailed them), they had to escalate the damn thing, and still nothing had been done about it by this evening.
I called with my direct supervisor at 7PM this evening from home, cause I was suspecting it would be this way, and I asked her to check if application A, B, C and D were working.
She was kind enough to check, luckily enough A and B were, but C and D of course not.
Then another one of my daytime colleagues spent an hour on the phone with the IT chief to try and solve this. They still hadn't found the cause of the problem. The guy was actually logging and taking over the computer from a distance. (finally)

When I come in, I gotta chase my 2 next colleagues away from their desk cause I need 3 different computers to do my job "properly" so I need their desks next to mine, and then I'm still constantly trying to find workarounds and hoping nothing will go wrong.

Here's another suggestion from my side of things for the IT-crowd :
if you want to completely change our computers to new computers : please, PLEASE check that all the programs/applications we need actually work. You need to check all of them, not just copy from HD A to HD B and assume everything will work fine. If you have no idea how these applications work, ask someone from us who can try them out.
Maybe hang around the first evening after you installed it, so that if something goes wrong, you can immediately see what it is, and perhaps solve the issue a lot faster.

And another one : IF it goes wrong, and the night crew calls, then at least have the decency to take over the system from a distance and check the computer. This takes them maybe 15 minutes, they get paid to be on call.
After all, this is what the IT chief did just a few hours ago.
At least then you can see if application A or B does or doesn't work on this particular computer.
Hell, if I call Ableton or Apple, they already take over my computer from over there, and that's for unimportant and not urgent problems.

I can laugh with my "shadowy" nightshift job, but in reality it can be a LOT of stress at times, and people can and will die if I can't work fast enough. This has already happened before, and no doubt will happen again some day.
To give you just one example : just a few months ago, a guy dropped into an empty elevator shaft and was dead. This happened during one of my colleagues' shifts. Now my program for this particular company doesn't run on my new pc and I gotta go to the next desk to open the call. My headset doesn't go that far. So if it's a bad line, or a really urgent emergency call, I lose several minutes.
All because the IT guys didn't do their job properly.

And if you call them, they want you to open a ticket.

I wonder if 911 dispatch has to open a ticket at night if their pc doesn't work. :roll:

now, no offence to any IT guys at subsekt,
but considering the circumstances I have to deal with, am I PLEASE allowed to call the IT guys at my workplace utter cunts ? :|

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

BandoftheHand wrote:
Planar wrote:
Fixed that for you.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
no prob, now interact some more. :mrgreen:

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

OHADOHAD wrote:HELLOOOOOOO! IT people and Users suck! :evil:
diagram,
what diagram ?

oh yeah, nice diagram ! ;)

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

and apologies for the derailment, wasn't intended,
but as you can read from the above I can presume you can understand my stress levels are currently peaking.

if you want to file a complaint about the derailment, I suggest you open a ticket.* :mrgreen:

*ICN and mslwte are however a slightly bit behind in handling the tickets about derailment issues...

BandoftheHand
rescued

Post by BandoftheHand »

Hades wrote:
no prob, now interact some more. :mrgreen:
Don't worry about me you waffle munching cunt! I am all over it.