best 303 machine in the market?

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
Hades
Shit Eater
Re: best 303 machine in the market?

Post by Hades »

you mean you don't like the "normal"/typical 303 sound yet ?

my first synth (not counting the crap material I bought from when I was 15 till when I was 18) was an XV-88, which I basically bought when I really wanted to buy a piano but lacked the room and space. It used to be roland's flagship rompler for years, so it came with something like 2000 presets, and of course many of roland's classics were thrown in there.
I always hated the 303 sounds, really.
Never liked that sound originally.

But funny enough there were a few tracks I used to play as a DJ that were totally 303, and I never realized that at the time.

some classics :

youtu.be/UdeVX7UjeIk

and one I used to play a LOT and usually cleared the floor with cause it was too hard for the crowd I usually DJ'ed for,
but I didn't give a fuck, just loved that track too much !
Just the fact that it went on for more than 6 minutes or something before there was a real break coming up, and the fact that the build up in the break was like almost 2 minutes or so, just listen to it, from 6:08 to 8:00, hell YEAH !!! the BALLS it takes to make a super long mix like that. No fucking mercy, just fuck up their ears with a nice lovely distorted 303 all the fucking way. I probably drove the people in my street mad as hell cause I probably played it quite often with my windows open in my univ years :D

youtu.be/qF8-DrGAOw8

but if your thing is more subtle 303 :

ah, the slowly upcoming string pads on the sublte 303, just love it.

youtu.be/X4f6mCZUwbQ

and this one, great remix.

youtu.be/COTZGbcS5BQ

and if you still don't like a 303 after these tracks,
dan kom ik even (sorry : "effe" voor jullie hollanders) voorbij en steek een 303 in je dikke reet en draai de resonance all the way up, nondedomme, ;)
zou wel kunnen dat ik hiervoor een 303 cloon neem, want die dingen zijn godverdomme duur :D
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

you know what, just ignore all the tracks I posted trying to convince you and get some true Dutch pride from this video ICN posted a while back,

just stuffed with massive 303 madness (forget about subtleness though :D ) :

youtu.be/hWn-yPFC7rg

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

hahah, oh man I love a good 303 sound.

I'm just not sure about buying one because there are so many alternatives.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

in your case I'd never buy a real 303,
there's more than enough other gear you can buy with that kind of money.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

just get your ass down here some day and try out a real 303.
then you can still decide if you wanna save up.
you're always more than welcome.
food, lodging, beer and studio use for free ;)

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

Hades wrote:just get your ass down here some day and try out a real 303.
Thanks for the offer my friend! I will be sure to remember that when im in belgium country perfecting the flemish accent.

Seriously though. Flemish is cool..

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

Hey guys,

So I have the opportunity to buy a xoxbox second hand for 375 euro's. The seller says that the unit is made by xoxshop, but in the disciption he says its a mode machines mk2. Isnt that a whole different company?

Anyway, He's going to send me some pics today. And I'll find out if its the xoxshops of the mode machines one.

Furthermore he says he is selling it because he is going to buy an original 303.

Im actually still not sure if I want to buy a cyclone of a xoxbox. Ive read the topic but I still cant make up my mind!

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

I gues testing it is an option but I am not a trained 303 listener and I dont know what makes a good unit.

Any advice on purchasing? get the cyclone, the xoxbox, both? a xoxio, a xoxshop, a mode machine.

Its al pretty confusing.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

:mrgreen:

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

Hades wrote:

oke oke, point taken :lol:

helloitsmeagain
athlete

Post by helloitsmeagain »

Back in like '95 a friend of mine got offered a 303 on the street for around R300. That's less than 20 GBP. The guy who was selling it had clearly stolen it and had no idea what it was. I mate bought it 'cause he felt like he just couldn't turn the offer down. He came up to my city and that weekend we landed up with way too much LSD... and a 303. One of the best weekends in my life. Some other poor cunt must have been gutted though. Probably still is.
Because of ACiD, i now know that butter is way better than margarine. I saw through the bullshit. - Mitch Hedberg

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Alume wrote:
Hades wrote:

oke oke, point taken :lol:
just remember that not everyone has the opportunity to do this,
not just checking out a real 303, but also hooking it up to some proper EQ, some proper distortion, and an eventide to round it all off...

This was probably my biggest "amai" moment : when played straight out of the box, my 101 and 303 don't sound half as good as when I run them through some EQ/distortion/FX.

You'll have more than enough chances to try out (and buy) 303 clones, but your chances to try out a real 303 will be far less.

I'm never gonna say : "you gotta have a real 303 cause blablabla", I'll be the first to admit it's become a real expensive luxury these days and many clones come more than close enough,
so the decision whether or not to buy a real one is each up to his own.
But yeah, if you have the chance to try a real one, and have excellent conditions to try it out (I sure as hell didn't have those conditions when I bought mine), why the fuck not, right ? :)

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

helloitsmeagain wrote:Back in like '95 a friend of mine got offered a 303 on the street for around R300. That's less than 20 GBP. The guy who was selling it had clearly stolen it and had no idea what it was. I mate bought it 'cause he felt like he just couldn't turn the offer down. He came up to my city and that weekend we landed up with way too much LSD... and a 303. One of the best weekends in my life. Some other poor cunt must have been gutted though. Probably still is.
you murdered your friend to get the 303, right ? :D