A guide to home "Mastering" of your own tunes

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
Careland
Interact. Don't Spam.
Re: A guide to home "Mastering" of your own tunes

Post by Careland »

In relation to the pre processed mix...
Let me rephrase. What effect does "home mastering" as you describe generally have on the dynamic range of the mix?

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt
Re: A guide to home "Mastering" of your own tunes

Post by Lost to the Void »

Did you read the guide on page 1?
Right, to get your final level you want a limiter.
If you are in digital domain then you can use a lookahead, which is always a nice option.
If you can adjust the attack and release then you want to essentially follow the rules above for comp, really pay attention to tuning the attack, you don`t want to kill all the transients, something like 1100 ms on dance music will do the trick.
Again you don`t want to be ramming your gain reduction here. I try to never let a limiter go beyond 2db of gain reduction. All limiters are different, but I`ve never heard one that goes much beyond 2db without getting gacky.

Obviously at this stage dither down to 16 bit is fine.

that should do ya, as a rough guide.

With say 1-2 db GR with your first comp, another say, 1-2 db with the second and then another 2 on the limiter you`ve got 6db of gain reduction there, and if you have done it right and used your ears, it should be a relatively clean 6db of reduction.

With a peak of -0.5db you should be able to get your RMS to around -8 which is loud enough to use in the club.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.