Hardware recommendations

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
bastos
broke
Hardware recommendations

Post by bastos »

Once again, hi to all of you.

I use Ableton and I'm planning to buy some gear (controller and MIDI keyboard for a start) and I'm wondering, since most of you guys are very experienced, what would you reccomend?

Thanks.

Alume
Confetti
Re: Hardware recommendations

Post by Alume »

Have a look in 'first synth' topic. Just type in first synth in the search bar.

bastos
broke

Post by bastos »

I tried...
Information

No suitable matches were found.

innovine
hmmmmmm...

Post by innovine »

How much salt should I add to my dinner?

oddmyth
Anba

Post by oddmyth »

Cue 3 2013 - Devil's Advocate.

See what this is all about at oddmyth.ca

disparate
I forgot.... So baked.

Post by disparate »

This thread's referring particularly to Midi controllers and keyboards, not synths, though?

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

Wow totally missed that. my mistake.

bastos
broke

Post by bastos »

innovine, bann yourself. disparate, thank you.

Mono-xID
Uumfääng

Post by Mono-xID »

bastos wrote:innovine, bann yourself
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: made my day !!! thanks !!!
http://soundcloud.com/monoxid

Behringer = ARTS label of synths

oddmyth
Anba

Post by oddmyth »

yeah I automagically associated hardware with synths.

As for MIDI controllers, I think there's a few of us using Ableton Push and the consensus is generally YAY! http://subsekt.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t= ... leton+push
Additionally there's a bunch using APC40 controllers, which are made by the same company and the consensus is also YAY! http://subsekt.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4807&hilit=apc40
And the Novation Lauchpad, although I don't think we've had a real thread about that one (at least not in recent memory).

Basically pick a controller then search the name in the forum. We've discussed quite a few.

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

innovine wrote:How much salt should I add to my dinner?
Think you are salty enough. Try a shovel of sugar.
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB

bastos
broke

Post by bastos »

oddmyth, thanks man. What about keyboards?

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

oddmyth wrote:yeah I automagically associated hardware with synths.

As for MIDI controllers, I think there's a few of us using Ableton Push and the consensus is generally YAY! http://subsekt.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t= ... leton+push
Additionally there's a bunch using APC40 controllers, which are made by the same company and the consensus is also YAY! http://subsekt.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4807&hilit=apc40
And the Novation Lauchpad, although I don't think we've had a real thread about that one (at least not in recent memory).

Basically pick a controller then search the name in the forum. We've discussed quite a few.
+1 for the APC40 and Push. I use them both and it covers composition (Push) and mixing (APC40) nicely. Push can do mixing as well, but I wouldn't endorse it above the APC if that's what your primary aim is. The nice thing is there is little knob mapping required if you're savvy with your Ableton racks.

oddmyth
Anba

Post by oddmyth »

bastos wrote:oddmyth, thanks man. What about keyboards?
Wish I could help mate, but I haven't bought MIDI keys myself. I have a few synths with keys if I ever need to look at them again, but I generally don't, Push gives me everything I need in terms of a piano roll and I enjoy the layout better than a keyboard.

willemb
Mild

Post by willemb »

Also look up posts about the Arturia Beatstep. Very nicely priced midi buttons and knobs as well as awesome little melody sequencer.

msl
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█

Post by msl »

Most affordable (<100€) midi keys are total crap, and don't have nice action.

If you have a midi interface I highly recommend you pick up a cheap 90's synth instead, you can research online to see which ones have good keyboards. I recently bought a Yamaha SY77 for €70, keyboard action is much better and you get a synth to play with also! Lots of bargains to be had.

www.bernadettetrax.bandcamp.com
www.soundcloud.com/michaellovatt

“Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.” Dune

LaurentOrchard
pregnant

Post by LaurentOrchard »

Novation Control XL. That thing is so cool, so cheap, so ''we-dont-have-to-pay-too-much-money-for-a-UC33-anymore'' :D

Who needs a keybed for techno anyway?

bastos
broke

Post by bastos »

I have UC33 collecting dust, bought it 6 years ago, I could make some use of it. I allways thought of it as hard to program/assign... Is anyone who use/used UC33 on the board? I have to admitt, I didn't use it much at all, just for live in one short period of time.
Last edited by bastos on Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bastos
broke

Post by bastos »

msl wrote:Most affordable (<100€) midi keys are total crap, and don't have nice action.

If you have a midi interface I highly recommend you pick up a cheap 90's synth instead, you can research online to see which ones have good keyboards. I recently bought a Yamaha SY77 for €70, keyboard action is much better and you get a synth to play with also! Lots of bargains to be had.

No, I don't have MIDI interface but, afther reading your post, I'm thinking of getting some. Any recommendations on that?

disparate
I forgot.... So baked.

Post by disparate »

Most decent soundcards/audio interfaces will have a MIDI interface built in - although that does of course involve spending more if you weren't already looking at buying that ;)

My keyboard's a Novation X-Station and I find the action of the keys nice, not sure if I'd recommend it though as its price comes from it being a slightly clunky all-in-one hardware synth/controller/soundcard which made sense to me at the time but it seems technology's moved on since and you'd be more flexible with just a good controller and a couple of nice softsynths, and add an audio/MIDI interface if it's something you need (probably would eventually)