It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:37 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3721 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 159, 160, 161, 162, 163, 164, 165 ... 187  Next
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Re: >>>> Post A Clip Of What You Are Working On <<<<<
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:01 am 
Pig

td3l wrote:

Those chords sound really nice but they kind of get hidden by the rest of the track mix-wise. And they add a great sense of drama, but I think the timing could be different. Are you doing your arrangement block-wise in the arrangement view, or are you jamming your clips in Ableton whilst recording?

Do you mean their timing into the track ? I may try a different eq on those chords, I recorded while jamming ,then I started editing block-wise, but now after spending so much time on it, I think we could say it's blockwise since I had to redo all the automations manually.[/quote]

Yeah, the timing/arrangement felt like it could have used those chords better. Instead of coming in near the beginning and then again near the very end, they could perhaps come in more towards the middle to build the drama/atmosphere. My $0.02 though, do what works for you![/quote]

You sure you didn't delete it?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:52 am 
pregnant

Ok guys, here is the current version, I would appreciate to know what you think of the claps and rides, I think the rides need some mid range boost, do you agree ?

https://soundcloud.com/prophan303/fwd5/s-Xmo8p

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:28 pm 
Interact. Don't Spam.

Prophän wrote:
Ok guys, here is the current version, I would appreciate to know what you think of the claps and rides, I think the rides need some mid range boost, do you agree ?

wicked stuff mate! I love the kick and rumble!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:09 am 
Interchangeable

Prophän wrote:

well, now that I can go back to my normal life of hiding from the sun inside the studio again... ;)

the claps sound far too soft and way too much back in the mix.
same for that modular kind of bleep.

In total I would say that pretty much most of the sounds are a bit too quiet compared to the kick.
Not so sure if that means you need to bring the kick down or bing the rest up.
Things improve a bit after your first break down though.

I am also not so sure about the atmospheric background textures.
I can see why you want to use them, but right now they sound a bit simple to me so I would or take them out or replace them with something better,
because now they don't really add to the mix and just eat up frequencies...

the part from 3:39 and onwards sounds a bit busy and repetitive for too long.
I would try and see if you can't improve the groove somehow (for the total track),
now it sounds as if some percussion patterns don't fit the groove very well.

;)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:29 am 
Interchangeable

Amøbe wrote:

So I went back after the advices I got here :) Calmed down on the feedback, and reworked the hi-hat and the bass figure.

Did it improve?

you'll have to excuse me if I don't remember what I replied on your previous version.
It's a small miracle I even remember anything after my last 12 days, especially the ones with Kostas. :)
(I always wonder how men in southern countries survive that whole summer + hormones thing)

Anyway, could go back to my old post, but gotta hurry a bit,
cause there's a BBQ in an hour or two at my neighbors' place (and too much stuff to do in the mean time)
and I need to go thank the guy for making my fat cat even more fat while we were gone... :lol:

In short : no, it didn't improve.
First feeling I had when I listened to your new version was that it somehow sounded as if it got band passed or something.
Sounded very thin, especially when I started playing the old version.
I think you tried to improve the muddy low end, but somehow overdid it and took away a whole part of the energy and character of the whole track.
I definitely preferred the old version to this one.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:48 am 
Interchangeable

td3l wrote:
Jam from a couple of days ago: https://soundcloud.com/tdel/dw5/s-xW8zX

Feels good to be writing again.

this is a hard one to comment on.

I really like the groove of this one, and the overall sounds here and there (as usual with you)
but right now it's definitely missing a better arrangement I think,
and it's a bit too long (and I know I should be the last person saying this) :)

I think the groove could also improve by having some elements play less,
like for example the panned bass kind of sound at around 1:15
especially because some of your percussion is already playing rather busy patterns as well (and that modularish/bellish lead sound too).

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:38 am 
clueless

Prophän wrote:

I like the overall atmosphere and sounds but I must agree with hades about levels.. I would try to bring everything except kick a little bit up, especially that claps.
Arrangement works for me!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:44 am 
clueless

td3l wrote:

Lovely percussions and those bell like sounds.
I was gonna tell you to try and make space for some new leadish sound but now as im listening it second time I guess you dont need one..
Mix sounds ok to me.
Nice job man

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:29 am 
Gnasher

Prophän wrote:

i like the overall feel of it, nice work
arrangement is nice too, although i think the last break is a bit unnecessary and the track is too long for what it is. ie the lead doesent need to come again after the last break. although i like the changed distorted perc (?), or echo of the lead or whatever it is in the last section. i think it could work well, just make it shorter.
agree about the levels.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:33 am 
Gnasher

Quote:

really love the atmosphere on this!
cant really say anything negative about it, in the first part, after the drop of kick& bass, the arp lead thingy sounds abit on is own... maybe automate it with some effects to make it more interesting. Other then that, really great tune.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:39 am 
Gnasher

some track ive been working on.
https://soundcloud.com/over9000bpm/infi ... x1/s-XfA7p
what do you think about the mix? its a bit low in overall volume, but ill fix that. I made the whole arps and melodys with delays, but wouldent recomment it, as it makes the whole mix muddy.. Been tinkering on this for soo long, just want to give it a proper mix and finish it finally :geek:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:50 am 
clueless

over9000 wrote:
what do you think about the mix? its a bit low in overall volume, but ill fix that. I made the whole arps and melodys with delays, but wouldent recomment it, as it makes the whole mix muddy.. Been tinkering on this for soo long, just want to give it a proper mix and finish it finally :geek:

First let me tell you that im listening to this after few hours of music so my ears are pretty tired.
Anyway, kick sounds way too punchy and loud in relation to other elements.
When you bring those hats it sounds better but then again snare need to be brought up.
Vocals are also too low.
That low mid arp sounds like you highpass it too much, i would bring more lows to it.
Also i like that arp you made alot, i would just try to eq it a little bit different.
But again, i'm pretty exhausted so maybe its better to ignore this and listen to somebody else suggestions.
Cheers :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:31 pm 
Interchangeable

zukenbauer wrote:
over9000 wrote:

First let me tell you that im listening to this after few hours of music so my ears are pretty tired.
Anyway, kick sounds way too punchy and loud in relation to other elements.
When you bring those hats it sounds better but then again snare need to be brought up.
Vocals are also too low.
That low mid arp sounds like you highpass it too much, i would bring more lows to it.
Also i like that arp you made alot, i would just try to eq it a little bit different.
But again, i'm pretty exhausted so maybe its better to ignore this and listen to somebody else suggestions.
Cheers :)

kick doesn't sound too loud in relation to the rest tbh.
at least not over here.
(perhaps only a little bit, later on in the track)
I think the main reason for you thinking so might come from the fact that the kick is one of the few elements in the mix with a well defined attack (transients, blablabla)
and most of the rest if drowning in delay.

Part from after approx. 2:45 : if you have any way to make that bass/lead/whatever you want to call it loop louder and more defined, I would definitely do so.
It's the best part of your track, and it takes far too long in your mix before you get to properly hear it.

Clap is way too far back in the mix. Same for the hats.
I would just try to skip some reverb on these parts just to get it all more punchy and stingy.

Vocals could indeed be a bit louder in the mix

Right now the whole mix sounds a bit too static and almost as if it's been slightly band passed.
Also, very limited stereo field.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:44 pm 
Gnasher

thx for the feedback hades!
will look into the clap/hat thing.
about the lead, youre right its made of delay ;) i messed around with echoboy and found something nice sounding so i stuck with that. but i wouldent do a melody again like that. about the stereo field, good that you remind me, because i put it to 0% width on that lead, since its a ping pong delay and i was afraid of it beeing too muddy when having full effect. about the band pass effect, i tried to cut off lows and highs from the 2:45 lead and the main arp (running all the time). going at it right naow

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:46 pm 
Gnasher

heres some new version:
https://soundcloud.com/over9000bpm/infi ... x2/s-Cm8Nb
made the lead drop in earlier, made it stereo, made a few small things more stereo.
compressed the hats/shakers/snare to give them more punch, i think i just understood abit what compression is good for =D
I also had a compressor on the master with a too high release, thats what caused the bandpass effect i think. reduced the release, sounding alot more tight now

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:31 pm 
Interchangeable

over9000 wrote:
heres some new version:
https://soundcloud.com/over9000bpm/infi ... x2/s-Cm8Nb
made the lead drop in earlier, made it stereo, made a few small things more stereo.
compressed the hats/shakers/snare to give them more punch, i think i just understood abit what compression is good for =D
I also had a compressor on the master with a too high release, thats what caused the bandpass effect i think. reduced the release, sounding alot more tight now

I don't think compression can give a sort of bandpass effect.
if things sound a bit like they were band passed, it has more to do with EQ.

mix + arrangement is definitely better, but clap still needs work I think,
and the percussion could be a bit better as well in my opinion.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:44 pm 
pregnant

Hades wrote:
Amøbe wrote:

So I went back after the advices I got here :) Calmed down on the feedback, and reworked the hi-hat and the bass figure.

Did it improve?

you'll have to excuse me if I don't remember what I replied on your previous version.
It's a small miracle I even remember anything after my last 12 days, especially the ones with Kostas. :)
(I always wonder how men in southern countries survive that whole summer + hormones thing)

Anyway, could go back to my old post, but gotta hurry a bit,
cause there's a BBQ in an hour or two at my neighbors' place (and too much stuff to do in the mean time)
and I need to go thank the guy for making my fat cat even more fat while we were gone... :lol:

In short : no, it didn't improve.
First feeling I had when I listened to your new version was that it somehow sounded as if it got band passed or something.
Sounded very thin, especially when I started playing the old version.
I think you tried to improve the muddy low end, but somehow overdid it and took away a whole part of the energy and character of the whole track.
I definitely preferred the old version to this one.

Making music is hard :P

So I think this will just end up in the "experience that should form your final output" category. Up until now I had this dogma that I wanted to see if I could end up with a sound I was completely satisfied with if I only used FM synthesis (in this case Operator). While I do think I learned a lot from it, I also feel that I'm just not completely capable of satisfying myself through this line of work (especially in making drums). So I just scrolled through that Drum VST thread and I think I'll invest in the microtonic VST. So this will be a step in a new direction, and I hope to expand my sound into areas, where I feel more satisfied with the end result.

But I really want to thank all of you guys (especially you Hades) for giving feedback - I feel like I learned so much stuff from this thread! It's a real pleasure being a part of this community <3

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:46 am 
Gnasher

lol doing everything with fm you are my hero!
youll do great tracks, when youll be using samples also

about my clap, what would you do to improve it?
layer it to make it thicker? louden it?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:55 am 
Interchangeable

it sounds way too far in the mix, so I would start by removing some of that reverb.
and other than that ? (pretty hard to say if you can't even hear the original sound enough because it's too much layered in reverb)
layer it ? yeah
maybe distort it a bit ?
but right now it's sounding thinner than my lazy fat cat's dick, which is not such a good sign... ;)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:07 am 
Interchangeable

over9000 wrote:
lol doing everything with fm you are my hero!

you know, I used to look at things that way...
a few years ago I spent all this time learning (and working with) all types of sound design,
and I made hundreds and hundreds of sounds from scratch,
fooling myself I was all pure and well and shit.

for example, one of the things I did was I tried designing drum sounds from scratch,
and even made 100+ kicks once, all using some tutorial and following the wonderfully technical advice.
(part of those were in that live pack I made for subsekt a while back)
Discovered I was much better off by using decent samples. :)

I won't say I regret the time I spent doing that, because I certainly learned some valuable stuff.
But right now, I just fire up whatever I feel like,
and use whatever sound source that works best.
Whether this comes from sampling my daughter's last diarrhea session or some complicated FM patch, or just a slightly adjusted preset,
I really stopped caring...
whatever works is fine by me.
;)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3721 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 159, 160, 161, 162, 163, 164, 165 ... 187  Next