It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:40 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3466 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 158, 159, 160, 161, 162, 163, 164 ... 174  Next
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Re: >>>> Post A Clip Of What You Are Working On <<<<<
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:18 am 
Interchangeable

suppressor wrote:
Quote:
I tried listening to your link, but it appears to be already gone.
Tried it twice, SC says it's gone.

I messed up. Here is the Link https://soundcloud.com/suppressormusic/dovahkiin-suppressors-time-to-chill-remix-v2/s-y50JB

I think the mix already sounds quite a bit better.
I could be mistaken, but either you added another kind of low (mid low) element that's really great for the groove,
or it used be so much buried in the mix I never heard it before.

just checking on headphones now : I think your kick needs more definition.
On headphones you can barely hear any transients of the thing,
and sure enough, from 1:20 onwards, when you bring in the full low end, the swamp begins...

It's strange, on headphones I hear a lot more detail, and there's some lovely sounds in there,
but for example the percussion kind of sound you hear clearly at 2:30 (which has been in a lot longer by then) : it's a really nice sound, but it's blocking the mix more than adding anything to the mix at the moment.
Maybe take away from the reverb/delay on it ?

In general your mix is very bass heavy, so your percussion needs to stand out more than ever to give counterweight.
And right now the percussion isn't cutting through very much.

anyway, definitely an improvement.
I really like that groove now, say for example around 2:14, lovely stuff.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:03 pm 
Interchangeable

also, suppressor,
I could be wrong, but did I ever send you the free live pack that I made for the subsekt community a few months back ?
If not and you're interested, just send me a PM through my SC page with your email, and I'll send it your way via wetransfer.

It contains about 50 different kicks, 1st half made from scratch with Waldorf Attack VST, 2nd half sampled from my Jomox,
then all run through my Midas just to use the EQ on it.

Then another 50 clips or so with all kind of sounds : pads, textures, basses, leads, rhythmic stuff,..
It's basically all just a selection of my clip library.

And finally, there's another 15 presets for Live's Analog that I made a while back.

You need Live 9 though, or otherwise I can just send you the samples.
If you don't have Analog, then the Analog presets won't load of course, but that's not exactly a big problem...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:04 pm 
skaghead

suppressor wrote:
So i'm working on this Dub Techno remix comp and i think i have used one sample from the whole stem pack we got given, alas i have made something in a style of music i have never made before.

I have tried to keep with the style and make it downtempo so we will see how it goes.

https://soundcloud.com/suppressormusic/dovahkiin-suppressors-time-to-chill-remix/s-hPl3x

To me this track is 90 % there... it just lacks some sort of hook. Seriously I think you could use this track together with some skeletal techno tool, that has a great hook or riff in it, and then improve the other track, because the atmosphere is really well made in this track and it develops super organically (<--- is that a word?) throughout the track!

I think you could develop a great hook by making some chordal stabs out of the bassline that begins at 1:20 - and then if it's supposed to be dub techno I guess it's about making it simple and modulating as if your life depended upon it! I think you could make a good track great very easily, because the atmosphere is really great work! there's a lot going on in a pretty subtle way, which I find really impressive!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:12 pm 
skaghead

Hades wrote:
suppressor wrote:

Positives:
I really like that piano, it sounds amazing through my speakers.
The arrangement of the track is great.

Negatives:
I'm not a fan of the modulating bass in this track, it doesn't inspire any sort of progression when i'm listening to it.
Through my speakers, your high level percussion does not sit very well with the lower frequency instruments in your track. Could you mix them a little softer?

thx for the feedback man.
there's a fucking tiny ringing in my ears at the moment, so I hope that's not permanent.
For once, I really respected the proper levels for working and have checked with my dB meter regularly.
It's probably just a combination of general fatigue and other shit.

can others confirm they think the percussion sounds too loud ?
(just to be sure it's not just one setup and one person, not that I don't trust your judgement)

I only listened on another system (my downstairs hifi) after uploading it on SC and was actually pretty happy to hear it translated extremely well.

I know what you mean about the bass.
I've struggled with it for ages.
The filter movement used to be far less, then I put it in more manually with the mod wheel just because the original growl of the sound was in no way compatible with the groove.
I'm ok with how it is now, when it's just underneath there and not asking for too much attention but it took me ages to get it that way.

Regarding the piano...
Can you believe each single clip in there is different (though they all sound the same) ?
I've spent hours going back to each single note, changing the velocity or moving it slightly forwards or backwards with the grid off.
I still have the feeling some of the clips aren't exactly like I want them, but at some point,
I just asked the mrs in and said "do you hear anything about the piano" ?
She didn't, so I just let it go.
Wouldn't surprise me if I'd go back at the thing again for half a day. :)

I'm not the one to ask - since my mixing skills suck - but I don't think there's any issues with the percussion... so with that out of the way:

It took me very short time to think "oh that's a Hades track" - You really have a sound! Overall I think it's a really cool track. I know you said here before that you struggle with percussion, but I think you're pretty good at making percussion that suits your track. And that I think is the most important role of percussion*!

I could easily imagine this track being played at some outdoor spot in the early hours of the morning - it actually reminded me of some tracks Donato Dozzy played somewhere sometime (that's a huge bunch of kudos from here!)

I think the best part of the track is around the 3:20 mark - there the rolling minimalistic percussion really shows its strength, and works beautiful!

The only thing I'm on the edge with is the modulation of the bass - I heard it several times and I can't really decide whether it works great (as something permanent that glues the entire track together) or if its a bit odd at times ...it's nothing drastic at least!

But I really liked the track! I think that your ability to make room for your sounds is very impressive!

*Also the reason why I'll always defend Ringo Starr as an incredible drummer. He never showed off, but damn he could tie a track together!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:43 pm 
Interchangeable

Amøbe wrote:
I'm not the one to ask - since my mixing skills suck - but I don't think there's any issues with the percussion... so with that out of the way:

It took me very short time to think "oh that's a Hades track" - You really have a sound! Overall I think it's a really cool track. I know you said here before that you struggle with percussion, but I think you're pretty good at making percussion that suits your track. And that I think is the most important role of percussion*!

I could easily imagine this track being played at some outdoor spot in the early hours of the morning - it actually reminded me of some tracks Donato Dozzy played somewhere sometime (that's a huge bunch of kudos from here!)

I think the best part of the track is around the 3:20 mark - there the rolling minimalistic percussion really shows its strength, and works beautiful!

The only thing I'm on the edge with is the modulation of the bass - I heard it several times and I can't really decide whether it works great (as something permanent that glues the entire track together) or if its a bit odd at times ...it's nothing drastic at least!

But I really liked the track! I think that your ability to make room for your sounds is very impressive!

*Also the reason why I'll always defend Ringo Starr as an incredible drummer. He never showed off, but damn he could tie a track together!

thx man, had quite a lot of shit coming my way the last few weeks, so I really appreciate your kind words.

I know what you mean with the bass. It was a thing I struggled massively with in the mix, and just deciding if it would fit in with the rest of this track or not was a bit of a burden. :)
Finally decided to leave it in, and then spent ages trying to make sure it fit in properly into the mix and didn't ask for too much attention.
Eventually, I even asked Mattias to tame down the low end a little in the master, because I knew it could only benefit the track in general. :)

I'm happy it was easy to spot as a "Hades track", whatever that might say... :)
I mean, it's not like I ever set out on some golden quest to find this "style" that was completely my own.
I just made tracks, and then made some more tracks, and my strong sides became more clear, and I guess I just got better at hiding my weak sides or something, but yeah, after a while people tell you you got a certain "style",
and if you look at so many others who never seem to find a style or identity of their own,
then I guess I should be happy I somehow found my own style,
no matter if it's ace or totally sucks monkey's balls, you know ? :oops: :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:19 pm 
skaghead

Hades wrote:

thx man, had quite a lot of shit coming my way the last few weeks, so I really appreciate your kind words.

I know what you mean with the bass. It was a thing I struggled massively with in the mix, and just deciding if it would fit in with the rest of this track or not was a bit of a burden. :)
Finally decided to leave it in, and then spent ages trying to make sure it fit in properly into the mix and didn't ask for too much attention.
Eventually, I even asked Mattias to tame down the low end a little in the master, because I knew it could only benefit the track in general. :)

I'm happy it was easy to spot as a "Hades track", whatever that might say... :)
I mean, it's not like I ever set out on some golden quest to find this "style" that was completely my own.
I just made tracks, and then made some more tracks, and my strong sides became more clear, and I guess I just got better at hiding my weak sides or something, but yeah, after a while people tell you you got a certain "style",
and if you look at so many others who never seem to find a style or identity of their own,
then I guess I should be happy I somehow found my own style,
no matter if it's ace or totally sucks monkey's balls, you know ? :oops: :)

Well you're welcome and it's definitely deserved :)

As I said I'm on the edge with the bassline, because at times it works really well, so I would also be very precarious about adjusting it (if you decide for that - and I don't think it's really needed)

I think your style really works great - and I think it's because of the way you just described that you discovered it. It sounds really naturally hades (so to speak) and not contrived at all :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:57 am 
beast

Amøbe wrote:
suppressor wrote:
So i'm working on this Dub Techno remix comp and i think i have used one sample from the whole stem pack we got given, alas i have made something in a style of music i have never made before.

I have tried to keep with the style and make it downtempo so we will see how it goes.

https://soundcloud.com/suppressormusic/dovahkiin-suppressors-time-to-chill-remix/s-hPl3x

To me this track is 90 % there... it just lacks some sort of hook. Seriously I think you could use this track together with some skeletal techno tool, that has a great hook or riff in it, and then improve the other track, because the atmosphere is really well made in this track and it develops super organically (<--- is that a word?) throughout the track!

I think you could develop a great hook by making some chordal stabs out of the bassline that begins at 1:20 - and then if it's supposed to be dub techno I guess it's about making it simple and modulating as if your life depended upon it! I think you could make a good track great very easily, because the atmosphere is really great work! there's a lot going on in a pretty subtle way, which I find really impressive!

Thanks Amøbe, i really try to add a lot of atmosphere in my tracks.

Yeah there definitely needs to have some sort of hook to push it along. Ill see what i can do :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:45 am 
skaghead

So I went back after the advices I got here :) Calmed down on the feedback, and reworked the hi-hat and the bass figure.

Did it improve?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:28 am 
Interchangeable

I'd love to give some feedback, but I'm in Crète now,
(where the lovely Kostas was kind enough to wait for me and my family at the airport and drive us all the way to our hotel, if that wasn't some proper subsekt love, than I don't know what is :) )
and I hate trying to give proper feedback when listening on headphones instead of my monitors.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:52 pm 
skaghead

Hades wrote:
I'd love to give some feedback, but I'm in Crète now,
(where the lovely Kostas was kind enough to wait for me and my family at the airport and drive us all the way to our hotel, if that wasn't some proper subsekt love, than I don't know what is :) )
and I hate trying to give proper feedback when listening on headphones instead of my monitors.

No stress :D and enjoy your stay! It's nice to hear that we exist outside of here <3

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:07 pm 
slipper

Hades wrote:
ok, I've had it a bit with having to defend a sense of humor, as wrong as it can be,
so I've decided to spend a few days trying to finish a mix I already considered 80% finished about 4 months ago.

I guess it's typically me to be spending several days on that,
being the boring perfectionist that I am (and shall ever be).

Please accept my apologies for not giving feedback on the latest entries in this topic,
apart from the past few days, I spent zero time in my studio for at least 3 weeks with the massive heat wave going on around here, so I hope to get to the feedback part asap tomorrow,
especially now that I finally decided to upload something and not go back to my mix again for the nth time... :?
:)

anyway, here it is :

https://soundcloud.com/hades/the-age-of-innocence/s-zhVkg

love the eastern vibes on this one
but i dont like the mix in the beginning, halfway into the song till the end the mix is way better
in my opinion the piano could be more brighter in the intro and it sounds like some elements are fighting for each other frequencies or is there mayb some sidechain on some elements. kick could use some lower velocity in the intro
those 2step shuffle percussion elements are really cool. nice panning

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:17 pm 
brown envelope

bioniceye wrote:
Hades wrote:
ok, I've had it a bit with having to defend a sense of humor, as wrong as it can be,
so I've decided to spend a few days trying to finish a mix I already considered 80% finished about 4 months ago.

I guess it's typically me to be spending several days on that,
being the boring perfectionist that I am (and shall ever be).

Please accept my apologies for not giving feedback on the latest entries in this topic,
apart from the past few days, I spent zero time in my studio for at least 3 weeks with the massive heat wave going on around here, so I hope to get to the feedback part asap tomorrow,
especially now that I finally decided to upload something and not go back to my mix again for the nth time... :?
:)

anyway, here it is :

https://soundcloud.com/hades/the-age-of-innocence/s-zhVkg[/quote

love the eastern vibes on this one
but i dont like the mix in the beginning, halfway into the song till the end the mix is way better
in my opinion the piano could be more brighter in the intro and it sounds like some elements are fighting for each other frequencies or is there mayb some sidechain on some elements. kick could use some lower velocity in the intro
those 2step shuffle percussion elements are really cool. nice panning

Piggy-backing... I like this a lot, only thing I might suggest is adding some more reverb here and there, maybe with modulations. The presence of the track is very "up front," but the track itself is very deep and I think would really benefit from some 'verb depth. My $0.02.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:25 pm 
Alf Garnett

Been working on this track for weeks, still not satisfied with it.. something is not right and I can't get my finger on it..
https://soundcloud.com/alftaend/unamed-v3/s-3rr59

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:55 pm 
brown envelope

Amon Derrich wrote:
Been working on this track for weeks, still not satisfied with it.. something is not right and I can't get my finger on it..

Those chords sound really nice but they kind of get hidden by the rest of the track mix-wise. And they add a great sense of drama, but I think the timing could be different. Are you doing your arrangement block-wise in the arrangement view, or are you jamming your clips in Ableton whilst recording?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:21 am 
Alf Garnett

td3l wrote:
Amon Derrich wrote:

Those chords sound really nice but they kind of get hidden by the rest of the track mix-wise. And they add a great sense of drama, but I think the timing could be different. Are you doing your arrangement block-wise in the arrangement view, or are you jamming your clips in Ableton whilst recording?

Do you mean their timing into the track ? I may try a different eq on those chords, I recorded while jamming ,then I started editing block-wise, but now after spending so much time on it, I think we could say it's blockwise since I had to redo all the automations manually.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:49 am 
Alf Garnett

Decided to take the track another direction

https://soundcloud.com/prophan303/fwd4/s-qz3hq

Now it sounds more like what I imagined

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:56 am 
beast

Amon Derrich wrote:
Decided to take the track another direction

https://soundcloud.com/prophan303/fwd4/s-qz3hq

Now it sounds more like what I imagined

I commented on the SC link, those stabs sound great btw.
Super tempted to hear what the original sounded like though. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:22 am 
Alf Garnett

Thank you the stabs are just a sine wave coupled with some processing, the original is the track I posted two messages earlier, here is the link , was working on it and then went like fuck it I'll just put a standard kickverb on it and get rid of the bassline and see how it goes.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:17 pm 
brown envelope

Prophän wrote:
td3l wrote:
Amon Derrich wrote:

Do you mean their timing into the track ? I may try a different eq on those chords, I recorded while jamming ,then I started editing block-wise, but now after spending so much time on it, I think we could say it's blockwise since I had to redo all the automations manually.

Yeah, the timing/arrangement felt like it could have used those chords better. Instead of coming in near the beginning and then again near the very end, they could perhaps come in more towards the middle to build the drama/atmosphere. My $0.02 though, do what works for you!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:18 pm 
brown envelope

Jam from a couple of days ago: https://soundcloud.com/tdel/dw5/s-xW8zX

Feels good to be writing again.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3466 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 158, 159, 160, 161, 162, 163, 164 ... 174  Next