It is currently Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:33 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4021 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 191, 192, 193, 194, 195, 196, 197 ... 202  Next
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Re: >>>> Post A Clip Of What You Are Working On <<<<<
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:04 am 
Part Bitch

Hades wrote:
ok gentlemen...

This is only a quick jam with most of the elements I'm keeping in the track.
It's just a quick recording of the master while I turn clips on and off...

The idea is to end up with a finished track that sounds as if it's one giant wave, where things just flow in and out.

Obviously, no work has been done on the mix nor arrangement at this stage,
and the Rhodes in the last part needs to be brought in according to the mix/arrangement
(there's a whole jam recorded, just need to pick the right parts),
but yeah, like I said, I just turned arts on and off for the time being.
(and I need to brighten up the mix and add extra percussion)

anyway :

https://soundcloud.com/hades/choose-your-own-heaven/s-SyIgP

What a load of shit. :D

Nah man, it's great.

The only fault is that I'm not a fan of those chirpy springhaan type percussion, it just doesn't fit too well.

The woodblock snare sounds great.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:10 am 
Alf Garnett

Prophän wrote:
Here's a clip/loop I made , the drums and bass are mostly place holder, basically was just experimenting trying to get a trippy sound and ended up with this,don't know if I should keep working on it and try to make something out of it

https://soundcloud.com/prophan303/soyuz ... ed/s-NWipm

I actually really like that, however, it's a bit too beepy for me. Lower pitch and some movement over time and you got me.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:19 am 
Alf Garnett

Hades wrote:
ok gentlemen...

The idea is to end up with a finished track that sounds as if it's one giant wave, where things just flow in and out.

and the Rhodes in the last part needs to be brought in according to the mix/arrangement

anyway :

I'm not a massive fan of the rims that come in the second part, but that's just my taste. Other than that it sounds very nice and warm, well done. Sounds already like one big wave, the atmospheric synth sounds endless and the piano fits in very well. Yeah, just the percussions, really...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:23 pm 
broke

Hades wrote:
ok gentlemen...

anyway :

I love how your mixes sound clean and not overwhelmed by a massive number of elements. However, if it was my track I know I probably couldn't resist the urge to add more parts and ultimately ruin it :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:29 pm 
broke

SHIDZO wrote:
Ok, so this track and the SC situation wouldn't leave me in peace so I spent the whole evening tweaking the shit out of it - in theory... I reckon my missus, my neighbours and even myself would go mental if I'd hit the play button one more time... Please if you'd like to feedback me, take version 3... Much appreciated! Can't delete my old post, sry for any confusion.

https://soundcloud.com/shidzo/tv3/s-tb8Or

I like the atmosphere and melodies but as Hades said, the low end needs some work to produce a solid groove. To me the kick is kinda lonely down low and maybe the space could be filled with a busier bassline?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:06 pm 
Interchangeable

gtsm wrote:
Hades wrote:
ok gentlemen...

anyway :

I love how your mixes sound clean and not overwhelmed by a massive number of elements. However, if it was my track I know I probably couldn't resist the urge to add more parts and ultimately ruin it :lol:

well, since I uploaded this maybe 3 days ago, the track has changed a lot since then.
Obviously the main atmosphere is still there, but I added a lot of percussion, and now it sounds like some groovy jazz infected motherfucker
gotta go pick up the kids from school, but can't wait to record a temporary arrangement of this one...
It's been a while since I was ever that excited about one of my tracks

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:20 pm 
Smore

its really hard to post a track after a wonderfull clip from hades but any thoughts on this one
https://soundcloud.com/hanosams/airship/s-d5FMJ

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:34 am 
Onions

Ok, so some 50 pages ago I was an ass that disrespected forum rules and asked for an opinion but didn't give any, so I'm gonna try to make amends with the tracks on the last page for now.
@hades: the track is superb, well, the part that you have, I really dig your style and as far as "emotional techno/something" goes (that doesn't have a negative meaning) I consider you one of my favorite artists. The mix sounds really clean to me, the only thing that's sounds wrong, which has already been mentioned, is the percussive thing that comes after the break. It sounds kind of mnml-y which to me doesn't belong in your production.
@shidzo: really like the track man, the kick seems really clean, the sounds all have their space. IMO a busier bass may disrupt that and I really like how it sounds the way it is, maybe just duplicate the synth, slightly alter it and play in some lower notes to complement the synth line. I think the claps would benefit from some decay automation, and for the "bao" vocal type thing some more movement. After that I personally would consider it done.
@bioniceye: at the start of the song I was feeling a promising track, which developed into a nice idea, but then went stale going nice idea>break>same nice idea. I'm not into that kind of sound, but it sound nice, just needs a lot more movement. Bassline really doesn't move throughout the and gets to repetitive. I don't mean to sound harsh, as I said i like the idea just think you should go a lot further with it.

Since I got the exampleless title, I'm gonna give my first track that I managed to "let go" because I don't have anything recent that's any further then loop level. https://soundcloud.com/stefan-dili/consolidate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:10 am 
Interchangeable

Dilinger wrote:
@hades: the track is superb, well, the part that you have, I really dig your style and as far as "emotional techno/something" goes (that doesn't have a negative meaning) I consider you one of my favorite artists. The mix sounds really clean to me, the only thing that's sounds wrong, which has already been mentioned, is the percussive thing that comes after the break. It sounds kind of mnml-y which to me doesn't belong in your production.

you mean the shaker kind of sound ?
If I'm not mistaken, Jordan called it some sort of chirpy (cricket) sound.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:52 am 
Interchangeable

bioniceye wrote:
its really hard to post a track after a wonderfull clip from hades but any thoughts on this one

really love the beat.
I think the clap could do with a little more variation.
The cymbal also sounds very "shy".

the sound that starts at 1:02, really like the idea, but it's a bit too soft now.
Not volume wise, but I think it could do with being just a little more "aggressive", nothing too much though.

High string pad is ok, but is also a tiny bit too static for my taste.
That extra lead kind of sound you put in shortly after your string pad : a bit too cheesy in my opinion.

Also, it's some sort of electro : I would not be afraid to use some sounds with a lot more funk in them.
I mean, electro is basically synth funk most of the time.
So why not try to add a lead with a nice filter envelope, and not the sweet cheesy one you got now ?
Or maybe a more dirty sound.
It's all so nice now. Like a light version of electro.

I would definitely take a few notes out here or there in the baseline, or add 1 or 2 once in a while, there's certainly enough room for that.
(that "break" sounded more dry than my throat 5 minutes after I finished the beer in the fridge)
I think it's a common thing for you to just make a pattern, and then just never change the pattern for the whole track.

Btw, that part around 3:00 : I have the impression the bass pattern does change when the pad comes back in.
Is that just because there's some sort of side chaining with the pad, because the baseline sounds way more funkier as soon as the pad comes in.
If it's indeed a slightly different pattern, I like the one after 3:00 better than the one just before.

anyway, definitely a great idea. Do work further on it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:34 am 
Smore

Hades wrote:
Dilinger wrote:

i had a relisten and i agree about the percussion part. It doesnt really fit, sounds indeed like minimal

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:57 am 
Smore

Hades wrote:
bioniceye wrote:

really love the beat.
I think the clap could do with a little more variation.
The cymbal also sounds very "shy".

the sound that starts at 1:02, really like the idea, but it's a bit too soft now.
Not volume wise, but I think it could do with being just a little more "aggressive", nothing too much though.

High string pad is ok, but is also a tiny bit too static for my taste.
That extra lead kind of sound you put in shortly after your string pad : a bit too cheesy in my opinion.

Also, it's some sort of electro : I would not be afraid to use some sounds with a lot more funk in them.
I mean, electro is basically synth funk most of the time.
So why not try to add a lead with a nice filter envelope, and not the sweet cheesy one you got now ?
Or maybe a more dirty sound.
It's all so nice now. Like a light version of electro.

I would definitely take a few notes out here or there in the baseline, or add 1 or 2 once in a while, there's certainly enough room for that.
(that "break" sounded more dry than my throat 5 minutes after I finished the beer in the fridge)
I think it's a common thing for you to just make a pattern, and then just never change the pattern for the whole track.

Btw, that part around 3:00 : I have the impression the bass pattern does change when the pad comes back in.
Is that just because there's some sort of side chaining with the pad, because the baseline sounds way more funkier as soon as the pad comes in.
If it's indeed a slightly different pattern, I like the one after 3:00 better than the one just before.

anyway, definitely a great idea. Do work further on it.

thanks Dilinger and hades for the feedback
sometimes you have a track which you like but it doesnt get you further when you start arranging. this is that one
i got bored with it and couldnt find new ideas so i went the easy way with the arrangement
im happy with the part from the intro till the first break but i agree the second part could use some other parts. most of the time i change the hi-hat pattern in the second part to add some slightly variation. i had a lead with a filter envelope in it but i used that kind of sound alot so i tried to do something else this time.
dont know the exact time but the bassline is changing 3 times in the song to add some variation
mayb i need to give it some rest and work later on it again

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:39 am 
Onions

Hades wrote:
Dilinger wrote:

Yea, exactly the chirp. Sounds right after the break and one of those signature mnml sounds.

Quote:
thanks Dilinger and hades for the feedback
sometimes you have a track which you like but it doesnt get you further when you start arranging. this is that one
i got bored with it and couldnt find new ideas so i went the easy way with the arrangement
im happy with the part from the intro till the first break but i agree the second part could use some other parts. most of the time i change the hi-hat pattern in the second part to add some slightly variation. i had a lead with a filter envelope in it but i used that kind of sound alot so i tried to do something else this time.
dont know the exact time but the bassline is changing 3 times in the song to add some variation
mayb i need to give it some rest and work later on it again

I was thinking some modulation type movement for the bass, not the pattern. I did hear the slight pattern change and it is nice but seems not enough.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:52 pm 
Interchangeable

Dilinger wrote:

Yea, exactly the chirp. Sounds right after the break and one of those signature mnml sounds.

it's funny, cause I never have anything to do with minimal.
I just got this one from reworking some typical shaker sound.

In my current mix it's pretty much the basic "shaker" kind of sound, and there's not much of a high hat in there (but a lovely jazz ride though),
what do you suggest I change the chirpy sound with instead ?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:23 pm 
Onions

Not the shaker sound that's in the first part, that's cool, but the sound that comes in at 2:46. I don't know with what you could replace it with maybe a bell or some kind of mallet, this just doesn't seem to fit into a Hades track, it sounds kinda 8bit, which is too "simple" for you.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:40 pm 
Interchangeable

ah yeah, when I was working on it the last few hours, I already thought "hell, they can't possibly mean the shaker, it's the other one that sounds like crickets chirping.
thx, will try to replace the sound later on.

At the moment, I was struggling all day because I got sick of listening to it myself.
I mean, the pads got put a little too much back to the background, and the Rhodes was getting too much,
so now I cut down on some of the Rhodes parts, made the mix 2 minutes shorter, and started giving some of the melody of the Rhodes to the 3 pads in there

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:54 pm 
reverse genius

Prophän wrote:
Here's a clip/loop I made , the drums and bass are mostly place holder, basically was just experimenting trying to get a trippy sound and ended up with this,don't know if I should keep working on it and try to make something out of it

https://soundcloud.com/prophan303/soyuz ... ed/s-NWipm

That's a great clip - but where the hell did the low-end go?! As far as making something trippy, you could try and add some element that phase in and out of the groove (Steve Reich style) but make no mistake - I like the sound of it!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:50 am 
beast

https://soundcloud.com/solomana/world/s-k3HO5 been a quite while i did something, any advice and feedback is welcome. :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:25 pm 
hunger marcher

juodas wrote:
https://soundcloud.com/solomana/world/s-k3HO5 been a quite while i did something, any advice and feedback is welcome. :)

I think it's too muddy, the part where you remove the dub chords sounds far better imo. also I don't really like those vocals they get boring over time.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:31 pm 
broke

juodas wrote:

Neblogai! Smagu daugiau lietuviuku matyt :) bet gal reverbo truputi daug ant synthu? Galetu svariau skambeti truputi.
Sorry guys, a post by a fellow Lithuanian :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4021 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 191, 192, 193, 194, 195, 196, 197 ... 202  Next