Need help deciding which softsynth to get...so many choices.

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
gedda
Metric Martyr
Need help deciding which softsynth to get...so many choices.

Post by gedda »

So I just registered my minibrute. Not only do I get one, but I get 2 choices to pick out of these many synths just for buying minibrute, and I must say I was in for a surprise. I am very much leaning on the jupiter-8v.

Choices:

MiniV
ModularV
ARP2600V
CS80V
Jupiter-8V
ProphetV
Oberheim SEM V
WurlitzerV
Spark Vintage Drum Machines
Spark Dubstep
Spark EDM
Analog Laboratory

About my set up:
-Love to make dat dubtechno, detroit, and since I'm here, the dark stuff of course!
-I'm leaning towards Jupiter 8 for the much needed top layer leads , pads, and strings
-I don't really need anything for basslines, I think minibrute is fine for that. I don't need miniV
-I don't need prophetV because I have pro-53...unless there are huge differences between the 2 then I won't need pV
-I really want to get into modular. I REALLY want to get into it. I don't have the funds to invest in a modular rig at the moment but this is something I want to look into and invest in in the future, but I have no soft modular synth.
-If i had to pick one of those modular synths, which one should i get?
-I don't really need a drum machine, I have maschine and too many samples

If you had to choose, what would you choose? What do you think would fit my needs? Thanks in advance.

arc
^^ Has a Drumcode Tattoo
Re: Need help deciding which softsynth to get...so many choi

Post by arc »

As a diehard Arturia fan, I'd recommend the CS80V and the Modular V.

CS80 is great for pads, it was used heavily for the Bladerunner soundtrack.

Modular is extremely versatile, the sound design capabilities of it are unreal.

If you're not feeling either one of those, go with the ARP2600 instead. I remember watching a video on YT where Speedy J said he used one quite a bit in his older productions.

Just my 2 cents. :)

arc
^^ Has a Drumcode Tattoo

Post by arc »

This isn't the video I was talking about, but they show the ARP2600 in Speedy J's studio. It seems to play a pretty important role in his productions.

youtu.be/Imh1T25zjJg

Here's another cool video I stumbled on while searching for that. Again, you can see the ARP.

Skip to 19:40

youtu.be/DUjCMBs4-SY

I personally don't use the ARP very much because overly complicated. It's almost too much for me, I have a hard time wrapping my head around how everything works together. Plus I feel like I can achieve the same sounds using something a more simple synth such as the Mini V. I plan on mastering it some day, but for right now it's just too much. lol

ozias_leduc
ANAL

Post by ozias_leduc »

wowsers-anyone know what software speedy j is using there to do the spectral processing?

msl
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█

Post by msl »

The SEM is very nice. You can skip the Spark stuff, sounds like crap to me.

edit: Fuck it go for the Wurlitzer and make Wurlitzer Techno
www.bernadettetrax.bandcamp.com
www.soundcloud.com/michaellovatt

“Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.” Dune

arc
^^ Has a Drumcode Tattoo

Post by arc »

@ozias it's old that's all i know! in one of the shots you can see something called "speedy's dekkonstrukt0r", so maybe something he made in reaktor? not sure though.

@msl the wurlitzer is great for lo-fi dubchords. and yeah the sem is great for percussive synths but horrible for pads.