What Monitors / Headphones do you use?

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
Contort
athlete
What Monitors / Headphones do you use?

Post by Contort »

Im getting new ones so im curious what people on here are using, or even if you have recommendations.

mainst09
Traits
Re: What Monitors / Headphones do you use?

Post by mainst09 »

I'm using prodipe pro5 v2. They are in the same range has KRK's but this one are much better. I don't use headphones,i can't use headphones.
Voices From Cindy's Cunt

wapwap!
unsure

Post by wapwap! »

adam a7 and ultrasone pro2900

Evert
who is it?

Post by Evert »

I use Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro headphones.

Program
Chernobyl

Post by Program »

Genelec 8030A, no headphones.

AxeD
durchfall

Post by AxeD »

I have DT 770's, I recommend DT 990's and for monitors Genelec or Neumann/KH.
Quite like working on hr824's as well honestly.

Contort
athlete

Post by Contort »

wapwap! wrote:adam a7 and ultrasone pro2900
Im looking at the A5X's but keeping my eye out for reasonably priced A7X's second hand...
AxeD wrote:I have DT 770's, I recommend DT 990's and for monitors Genelec or Neumann/KH.
Quite like working on hr824's as well honestly.
The DT990s would be nice but I need closed back as there is a central heating boiler in the room im using. I was just looking at the DT770s, how would you say they suit studio use - are they flat? What are your opinions on them

catamorphism
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by catamorphism »

Adam F7 and Sennheiser HD25.

wapwap!
unsure

Post by wapwap! »

Contort wrote: Im looking at the A5X's but keeping my eye out for reasonably priced A7X's second hand...
better choice if you can yes.

Mslwte
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mslwte »

I use the hs80 monitors and akg 240 mk2 headphones. It's not a combination I would recommend.

On their own I love them both. But when I put my headphones on after I've been on the monitors they don't translate as well for me. There's not enough bottom end and I have to really turn them up to hear anything clearly which is not good lol. Saying that my ears don't get fatigued wearing them even though they are turned up, I'm just conscious that they are probably to loud. Look them up they come highly recommended at their price range I just prefer my monitors. Now I just have my monitors turned down when I need to.

I like the hs80's they are good enough and not very expensive. I wish they made hs80 headphones!

Each to their own though, one mans milk is another mans cheese
https://soundcloud.com/mslwte
https://noizefacilityrecords.bandcamp.com
https://www.instagram.com/subsekt909
https://www.facebook.com/subsekt909/
Lost to the Void wrote:Fuck off, get some tequila down ya neck and make some noise you cunt....

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Currently using a single Event 20/20 BAS V3 as its mate refuses to turn on. Cunt haha

HD25's for headphones. Really like them. Find that its only a matter of adjusting volumes when I play something on the monitors afterwards. They go low, so thats really all I use them in order to check. I use them a lot at night, so I'm very happy with them.

But as James said; one mans arse is another mans vagina.
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB

Plyphon
endless

Post by Plyphon »

Alesis 620. Got them 2nd hand a price I couldn't complain at a few years back but they're defo next on the upgrade list. I actually think they sound great for the money. Better than any KRK I've heard anyway.

HD25s for headphones. Can't produce on them for shit, they're for DJing.

Contort
athlete

Post by Contort »

Mslwte wrote:
Look them up they come highly recommended at their price range I just prefer my monitors.
Yeah they seem quite popular and plenty of good reviews, the newer K550's were on my shortlist until I read about the fit and lack of proper seal without modifications.

If you asked in the right place (im thinking internet forums mainly) someone may be able to recommend some headphones with a similar sound to the HS80's.
ICN wrote:Currently using a single Event 20/20 BAS V3 as its mate refuses to turn on. Cunt haha
Nice. I was looking at these originally after seeing them recommended in Junos top 10 studio monitors. A few quid less than the ones im looking at right now but I read they where a bit bassy, would still like to hear them in person.

Is anyone using a DAC/amp for their headphones/monitors? It's another thing im getting and having trouble choosing, can add quite a lot to some headphones apparently, I imagine most people on here are using an audio interface instead.

Contort
athlete

Post by Contort »

Plyphon wrote:
HD25s for headphones. Can't produce on them for shit, they're for DJing.
Yeah I keep hearing that. I don't think I would like having on-ear as opposed to over-ear after so many years with the latter.

Im reading some good things about the HD380 Pros on the sennheiser front, looking like there best closed option for me

ashley BORG
Small Penis

Post by ashley BORG »

HS80's for the monitors. I couldn't afford Adam A7s, but to be honest I'm really pleased with them. I've got a decent amount of faith with what I hear from them.

Headphone's wise technics 1210 DJ headphones. Not ideal, like James there is quite a mix match in terms of sound. For me its quite shit because I spend so much time making in them.
Maybe in Feb/March I'll try to invest in some Sellout 990's. I think some decent cans are the last piece of my jigsaw, had to decide whether those or a new controller was more important. Went for the controller since it will take time to learn it.

LuigiTozzii
refusenik

Post by LuigiTozzii »

Yamaha HS50 + Sub and AKG k141 for me.

Mono-xID
Uumfääng

Post by Mono-xID »

Beyerdynamic DT990 cans. I know them so well that i don't feel the need for monitors though i'll upgrade to these new Focal Spirit Professional Headphones when i'm back in crap city Berlin.
http://soundcloud.com/monoxid

Behringer = ARTS label of synths

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

DJing - HD25 II's. Go loud as fuck, clear and every bit is sturdy and replaceable. Mad choice for production though, I don't know how you guys are doing it.

Production - Sellout DT880 Pro's. Like sex for your ears.

I also have some shitty Tannoy monitors that I will sometimes check the stereo image of stuff on, but they're mainly used with my DJ setup.

Contort wrote:Is anyone using a DAC/amp for their headphones/monitors? It's another thing im getting and having trouble choosing, can add quite a lot to some headphones apparently, I imagine most people on here are using an audio interface instead.

Yes, I use one of these:-

http://epiphany-acoustics.co.uk/product ... h-usb-dac/

Great sound and much cheaper than other options with the same specs.

ashley BORG
Small Penis

Post by ashley BORG »

Mslwte, maybe these could be the answer to the HS80 perfect companions....
I've owned a few Yamaha things over the years, and the quality is usually good. Might actually call up Dolphin to get their opinion.

http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/product/6 ... hones.html

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Yamaha-HPH-MT22 ... B009F8WRXG

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Mono-xID wrote:Beyerdynamic DT990 cans. I know them so well that i don't feel the need for monitors though i'll upgrade to these new Focal Spirit Professional Headphones when i'm back in crap city Berlin.
please do let me know how you like those when you get them.
I'm always on the look-out for the perfect headphones, and I love my Focal Twins, so these sound perfect for me.
I didn't even realise uptill now Focal also makes headphones.
I would mainly be using them for my iPod though, and I'm not so sure it would be such a good idea getting full on-ear closed headphones since I nearly got killed last time wearing my sennheiser HD25's with that firetruck history...

so, yeah, to respond to OP :

monitors :
started out with a (hardly) used pair of Mackie HR624's
upgraded to Focal Twin 6BE's about 2 years ago, absolutely love 'em !!

headphones :
Sennheiser HD25 for iPod use (great for mixing or "portable" lightweight iPod cans)
Grado Labs 325i for studio use (but not using them a lot lately, bought them cause I wanted open headphones for use at work)
Ultrasone Pro 450 for studio use (very happy with these)
ow, and those little "in your neck" sennheiser ones for doing sports.
Sin cambios no hay mariposa