Thee Max 4 Live thread

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
ashley BORG
Small Penis
Re: Thee Max 4 Live thread

Post by ashley BORG »

Mslwte wrote:I agree, it's only since I've had a play with it that I've realised that as well. It could be a good thing to do while I have breaks from production though.

I feel pretty much the same about Reaktor. I bought it for everything which is included, plus the freebies people make. Maybe one day if I ever get my head around this shit, or go through a massive mental block then it would be a nice side project.

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

This stuff isn't for everyone, but having a strong community makes having access to it worthwhile. It appeals to the engineer in me, so I can't help but tinker.

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

I thought I'd share a M4L device I'm working on. It's a midi sequencer based on the one that you get in Tremor by FXpansion. I've waxed lyrical about the Tremor sequencer on here before and also how it annoys me that you can't turn the synth engine off, so I decided to make my own version of it. It has 8 sequencers that output triggers from C1 to G1, each sequencer has markers to change its length independently of the others so polyrhythms are a piece of cake to make. Sadly the lack of vertical space in the Ableton rack means the sequencers can't all be stacked on top of each other. There is also a marker to change the start as well, so it's got something the Tremor sequencer doesn't.

It's my first proper M4L project so it's very hacked together, but it seems to work pretty well with microtonic and drumracks. I'm going to try and make the output notes configurable and maybe add some automation sequencers as well.

If there's any interest I can post some audio up or share it with Subsekt members?
Attachments
Planar Tremor Seq.png
Planar Tremor Seq.png (24.62 KiB) Viewed 3229 times

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

That looks mighty Mark!!

I want want want!

I'm guessing this'll work in a live drum rack too?
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

Yeah, it just outputs midi so stick it in the chain before a drum rack and it works a treat. Here it is:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/959 ... 20Seq.amxd

Drag it into your user library to install it. Let me know how you get on, if it breaks your computer you're on your own ;)

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Lovely. Haha - max4death
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

link doesn't seem to work here...
I'm on mac, but then John is as well...
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

Works here, albeit if I just click it opens as text. Try right click save as, or whatever the crazy mac equivalent of that is. If you guys are still having problems I'll stick it in a rar file.

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

DL'z fine as 'save as'

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

left click is text.
right click doesn't give me the option of "save as"

I don't know why.
you're the IT ninja,
I'm the dumb mac user... :D ;)

I'm using mozilla though, perhaps I should give it a go in safari...

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

nope, safari just lets me download the thing as text file

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

Ah, the format of an axmd is JSON, so that's why a browser is opening it. Here's another link with a zip (the original link will still work):-

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/959 ... %20Seq.zip

Mslwte
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mslwte »

Nice one mark. I'm gonna grab this tomorrow. I wanted to make one of these but I have to be honest it was all a bit beyond me.
https://soundcloud.com/mslwte
https://noizefacilityrecords.bandcamp.com
https://www.instagram.com/subsekt909
https://www.facebook.com/subsekt909/
Lost to the Void wrote:Fuck off, get some tequila down ya neck and make some noise you cunt....

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

Mslwte wrote:Nice one mark. I'm gonna grab this tomorrow. I wanted to make one of these but I have to be honest it was all a bit beyond me.
Nice one, mate, let me know how you get along with it. I've found it a lot of fun to play with, but I'd be interested to know if it would be better with more steps and if the velocity lanes are too small etc.

There's nothing here that couldn't be picked up in a few tutorial videos btw. Having an aim in mind definitely helps and then its just a bit of persistence with the foibles of Max. I'm making a few decent improvements to it, so hopefully I can put up a better version sometime soon.

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

I really like this. Having good fun making some poly riddimz, recording the midi out & using scale to play riffs on synths with 1 voice polyphony.

Random fun.

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

Planar wrote:I thought I'd share a M4L device I'm working on. It's a midi sequencer based on the one that you get in Tremor by FXpansion. I've waxed lyrical about the Tremor sequencer on here before and also how it annoys me that you can't turn the synth engine off, so I decided to make my own version of it. It has 8 sequencers that output triggers from C1 to G1, each sequencer has markers to change its length independently of the others so polyrhythms are a piece of cake to make. Sadly the lack of vertical space in the Ableton rack means the sequencers can't all be stacked on top of each other. There is also a marker to change the start as well, so it's got something the Tremor sequencer doesn't.

It's my first proper M4L project so it's very hacked together, but it seems to work pretty well with microtonic and drumracks. I'm going to try and make the output notes configurable and maybe add some automation sequencers as well.

If there's any interest I can post some audio up or share it with Subsekt members?

So this is a long time coming. I've had an enhanced version of my sequencer for a while, but the messy internals have put me off releasing it up until now. I've been very slowly increasing my Max knowledge and recently made a few discoveries which means I've been able to tidy it up, so I thought I'd upload it again with the new features. Here's what it looks like:-

You can now set what note each sequencer outputs with the selector to the right of each sequencer. The defaults still works well with most drum synths I've access to, but there is a lot more flexibility now and, of course, this makes melodic usage less painful as well. Also new is that each sequencer can have it's number of steps set to any number between 16 and 32.

I think it's a pretty handy device and I've enjoyed using it as a way to kick start a rhythm track, I find velocity sliders to insert notes tends to result in better patterns. I do recommend you record to midi (remember to take your poly-rhythms into account ;)) when you're happy with what you have and manipulate further that way.

The device is now reliant on a sub patch, so I think to install it you'll need to drag the folder into your library directory structure as there are 2 files. If anyone knows how to embed a bpatcher fully into a single file, let me know! Anyway, it's attached to this post. I hope you have fun with it.
Attachments
Planar Tremor Sequencer.7z
(3.82 KiB) Downloaded 94 times

SFBM
&roid

Post by SFBM »

Always wanted to play around with M4L, but since I'm a lowly poor student, I don't 'technically' have a real copy of live..If I purchase M4L would I still be able to get it running, or do I need to splash out like $800 (Aus price for non-Intro version) for a proper copy before I can even do this? Wish I could claim a student discount on this stuff.

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

It's attached to your Ableton account, so you can't use it if you're not running a proper version of live (shame on you). I don't think you need suite and can purchase it separately. They do student discounts for all this stuff I think, or just watch kvr, I got Suite off there for less than £200.

SFBM
&roid

Post by SFBM »

I'm studying currently and also unemployed for the moment (had a huge issue with a traineeship that randomly fell through), so it's either $ towards buying major equipment for my setup, or spending the same as that if not 2x purchasing software, and live here is quite expensive. I thought live intro couldn't run M4L? If it can, I guess that could be an option, as I plan to get an Ableton Push quite soon, but I also think there's a bunch of things that are disabled in intro, too.
Wouldn't student discounts be dependent of the store? Or do Ableton themselves offer some?

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

Ableton offer it themselves via their site, it's a digital copy, 40% off. But as I say, just watch the kvr marketplace, people sell stuff for crazy prices on there and it's usually a digital version for a quick license transfer. If you want a push I would prioritise the software first and Suite is a great package.